Watermarking / Branding in LPS

natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited March 20, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
"Photos with branding or watermarks will be disqualified."

Obviously no one wants to look at or judge a photo in a contest with a giant "PROOF" across it.. But, is putting a border/frame around the photo with a small "Photographer | John Doe" at the bottom okay?

I saw a post in the last LPS thread.. can't find it now, maybe it was removed, but there was some small text with a web address in the bottom corner of an entry.. Can I do this if I submit a photo in the contest?

Thanks for the clarification!
--
_:nod Nate____
Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
Speedlite 430 EX .
Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    natephoto wrote:
    "Photos with branding or watermarks will be disqualified."

Obviously no one wants to look at or judge a photo in a contest with a giant "PROOF" across it.. But, is putting a border/frame around the photo with a small "Photographer | John Doe" at the bottom okay?
    No, it is not. Sorry. You can put your ©, your name, etc, in the metadata, make an original of 800px, 72dpi, and use that file.

I saw a post in the last LPS thread.. can't find it now, maybe it was removed, but there was some small text with a web address in the bottom corner of an entry.. Can I do this if I submit a photo in the contest?

Thanks for the clarification![/QUOTE]We don't remove such threads :)

No adornments are necessary, thanks. Just the photo, please.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 20, 2007
    Nate, one of our judges brought this up as well. I didn't disqualify anyone in this round (there were three folks with slight signature/watermarks), because I feel we didn't clarify the rule enough.

When I was initially writing the rule, just like you, I intended it to mean the type of large "proof" or branding mark. But in all fairness, Andy said it, we have to make it mean ALL text embellishments.

So yes,to clarify the rule:

No signatures, dates, copyrights, watermarks, proofmarks, any/all text embellishment that are not part of the artistic intent of the photo.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• AviranAviran Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 20, 2007
    but framing or boarders are ok?
    edited March 20, 2007
    Aviran wrote:
    but framing or boarders are ok?
    No. And I'll ask the judges to clarify this rather plainly.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Update
    The moderators have talked this over and come to a decision that should serve most everyones needs.

Watermarks, the kind that obscure the photo, are not allowed. However, small copyright notices somewhere along the periphery of the photo would be encouraged for all entrants. It could take this form:
    © 2007 name or website

But that is for you to decide what you want the notice to say.

We want you to get any recognition the photo generates and not have to rely on someone hunting down the exif info to find it. Just remember to make it unobtrusive and/or attractive. An ugly notice is going to negatively impact the presentation of your photo. Make it small, but legible, and keep it off to the periphery.

Borders are prohibited, spend your time making the photo stand on it's own without a border. As a judge, I want to focus on the content of the photo, not someones idea of a nice frame.

We want your photo to put its best foot forward, and ensure you get the credit you deserve.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Ok. Don't hit me. How do you make (or get) that little c in the circle mark?
    I don't see it on my keyboard. :D
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Dave,
    davev wrote:

Multiple ways:
    in html, i'ts & c o py ;
    in any wndows text editor (including PS Type Tool), it's Alt+0169 (which is: press Alt, enter 0,1,6,9 on the numeric pad, release Alt), or just use Character Map from Accessories.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Shay,
    However, small copyright notices somewhere along the periphery of the photo would be encouraged for all entrants. It could take this form:
    © 2007 name or website

But that is for you to decide what you want the notice to say.

We want you to get any recognition the photo generates and not have to rely on someone hunting down the exif info to find it. Just remember to make it unobtrusive and/or attractive. An ugly notice is going to negatively impact the presentation of your photo. Make it small, but legible, and keep it off to the periphery.

Would it be OK to replace the submitted photo now (you know, SM allows you to replace it without messing up the URL) with a copyrighted one?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited March 20, 2007
    davev wrote:

I just copy and paste it ©
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited March 20, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Would it be OK to replace the submitted photo now (you know, SM allows you to replace it without messing up the URL) with a copyrighted one?

Yes, if you make up a new one, lets replace it.
    edited March 20, 2007
    davev wrote:
    on your mac, it's opt-g ©
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    ©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©
    ©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©Thanks guys©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©
    ©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Okay, great! Thanks for the clarification guys, I guess it wasn't 100% decided upon or layed out, but it's clear now.

Good luck to all in the upcoing contests! :ivar
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .