DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited January 31, 2005 in The Big Picture

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    David, you didn't expect...:-)
    DavidTO wrote:
    .. me to let you get away with THIS that easy, did ya;-)?

Here's something for you: what Adobe really thinks. It's not a remote analogy between airplanes and platforms, it's His Majesty Photoshop we're talking about:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    .. me to let you get away with THIS that easy, did ya;-)?

Here's something for you: what Adobe really thinks. It's not a remote analogy between airplanes and platforms, it's His Majesty Photoshop we're tlaking about:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif

Whoah, Nelly.

First of all, that was from a Mac forum, and not intended as Mac-Evangelism, but just a "ho my gosh, the things people'll talk about". Not that there's anything wrong with the thread, but it's just funny what we come up with on these forums.

Secondly, that article is pre-G5, so stuff it.

;)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    And Another Thing...
    Andy is our new resident MacEvangelist.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    David, I have only one thing to say...
    DavidTO wrote:
    ..find me a Mac programmer. Or, better, two (smugmug ppl does not count:-).

As to the pre-G5.. Well, yeah, they worked with what they had. When it (eventually) will come to P5/Longhorn kicking G5/X's rear, will you say "it's not fair" again?mwink.gif

Yesterday installed (and even played:-) HL2. Widescreen, surround sound (5.1) - shhhweeet:-). All - for the fraction of what Andy paid for the his monitor only...rolleyes1.gif

Gosh, what a lousy weather again in TO..:uhoh

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

As to the pre-G5.. Well, yeah, they worked with what they had. When it (eventually) will come to P5/Longhorn kicking G5/X's rear, will you say "it's not fair" again?mwink.gif

Yesterday installed (and even played:-) HL2. Widescreen, surround sound (5.1) - shhhweeet:-). All - for the fraction of what Andy paid for the his monitor only...rolleyes1.gif

Gosh, what a lousy weather again in TO..:uhoh

Cheers!1drink.gif

Oh, that's right, Longhorn's due out in 2005. No, wait, 2006.

By the time Longhorn does come out, OSX will be in its 6th generation. Who knows where the G5 will be.

It's not that it wasn't fair. It just wasn't current. Motorola hosed Apple when they didn't/wouldn't do what IBM was able to in the G5. Those were tough times, speed-wise.

Anyway, happy to debate the issues with you, Nikolai--if only because it stays a light-hearted debate. Don't want to end up with one of those strongly worded debates--especially when this thread started with a completely different intention. It was about comparing aviation with computing.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    Of course it's light-hearted!
    It was me posting the picture of my cables, remember?:-)

And I do like analogies, too:-)

It's like Macs being the limos (comfortable, driven by shauffeur, expensive, etc.), and peecees being all the rest of the car market, from golf carts to sedans to SUVs to pickups..

Or it's like Macs being Dom Perignon '57, while PCs being the usual content of the Beverages & Mo (or Cost Word Plus, or Trader Joe's :-)

Let's continue this analogy game:-) Your turn!

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    Apple v pc. I am curious - what computer did apple users have, an amiga or atari st, cbm 64 or spectrum?

sorry for the highjack ear.gif
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    Confused...
    shay wrote:
    Apple v pc. I am curious - what computer did apple users have, an amiga or atari st, cbm 64 or spectrum?
    You mean: what did they use before they got hooked:-)?rolleyes1.gif
    shay wrote:
    Not a problem at all, good to see you here..:-) thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Let's continue this analogy game:-) Your turn!

Cheers!1drink.gif

Macs are Snap-on screwdrivers.
    PCs are jackhammers.

Both can turn a screw, but one of them is much easier to use and won't give you a headache in the process.

yeah, i know, it's lame, but I just finished reading through a mind-numbing 78 page Dilbertian presentation and my brain is fried.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    shay wrote:

In my case, it was a very long line of PCs, from a Dell DX75 to an AMD Athlon 2.8ghz. Along with a sprinkling of SPARCstations and a TI 99/4a along the way.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

i actually know four mac programmers personally, and i just hired one of them :D
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    Oh, do you now:-)
    andy wrote:
    i actually know four mac programmers personally, and i just hired one of them :D
    Lucky you!
    You probablyt emptied Greater New York Mac programmers pool:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2005
    Come on, Fish!
    fish wrote:
    Macs are Snap-on screwdrivers.
    PCs are jackhammers.

Both can turn a screw, but one of them is much easier to use and won't give you a headache in the process.

yeah, i know, it's lame, but I just finished reading through a mind-numbing 78 page Dilbertian presentation and my brain is fried.
    You know yourself
    1. it's not accurate
    2. you can do way better than that:-)
    Just to be on a helpful side for the fried-brain friend for a tools line:
    "Macs are like laser-gided miter saw with 4"x2" max cross-section, wood only. PCs are all the other saws - a bit harder to work with, but you eventually can cut anything life puts in your way".

Cheers!1drink.gif

PS
    Thanks again for the smiley!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 26, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    You know yourself
    1. it's not accurate
    2. you can do way better than that:-)
    Just to be on a helpful side for the fried-brain friend for a tools line:
    "Macs are like laser-gided miter saw with 4"x2" max cross-section, wood only. PCs are all the other saws - a bit harder to work with, but you eventually can cut anything life puts in your way".

Cheers!1drink.gif

PS
    Thanks again for the smiley!

My Mac is like a self sharpening saw or a CnC lathe. I do not spend hours working on my MAC, I work on what I bought the MAC to work on. With my PCs I end up spending hours keeping the PC running, rather than using it to solve a problem. Kind of like having to sharpen that saw blade four times for every board I cut. Not a very efficient way to work. I have come to resent time spent updating and repairing computers.

I just reformatted the hard drive in my XP laptop due to updates MSFT kindly informed me that I needed to be safe. Well, after the update, I was safe - the machine would not boot at all, not even into SAFE Mode. So 8 hours spent rebuilding the machine. Can I rebuild the machine ?? SURE. I just don't want to spend my time as a computer repairman for MSFT. I want to use it to run Photoshop. The thrill is gone with fixing PCs and keeping them up to date every day, week, month. My next laptop will be a Power Book.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    Macs vs. PCs? Why not Macs AND PCs? They can play together. It's like when I was a kid and my Mom always made me invite that ugly kid over who kept falling off his bike.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    I guess you simply got a bad laptop
    My sincere condolences.. It happens.. with everything. Bad laptops, bad TVs, bad cars, bad cellphones, even bad S/Os:-)
    But don't you think that one bad egg does NOT mean that all the eggs are rotten?
    Just a thought..
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    Stop the madness!!!!

This thread is NOT about Mac vs. PC. I know, because I started it.

This thread is about aviators equating their flying machines to their computing machines, and how funny it is sometimes, the topics we get onto in these fora.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

I know 2. 1 works for Apple (on the Soundtrack app) and the other one (who lives in New Hampshire) used to be a Windows programmer and about 2 years ago (maybe 3 now) switched to Macs at home and started his own company. here's his site: http://www.xtralean.com
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    My bad... Sorry to digress....

Back OT -

Where I work (The genius bar at the Third Street Apple Store in Santa Monica) 2 of our geniuses are pilots.

I've never flown an airplane.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    gregneil wrote:
    My bad... Sorry to digress....

Back OT -

Where I work (The genius bar at the Third Street Apple Store in Santa Monica) 2 of our geniuses are pilots.

I've never flown an airplane.

No way...

You're a genius? Really?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    No way...

You're a genius? Really?

Yes, it's true. At least, I've got people here at work convinced it's true. Most rabid mac fans (and it seems there's a few here on the forum) know more than I do. But to the average user who needs help, I've got it down. And I'm certified to pull apart powerbooks and fix them. So that's fun. Thismorning I pulled a hard drive from a powerbook that was totally dead to do a data transfer, and in a few minutes I'm going to be up to my elbows in eMac guts.

But really, now, let's get back on topic.

My co-worker Fred used to be a flight attendant at Delta - and he says that when he worked there (just over a year ago) he estimates 40% of the pilots he worked with were Mac users. He says there's definitely a higher percentage of mac users among pilots than among the general population. And that was even considering that it's a HUGE pain in the butt for a Mac user Delta employee to use a Mac to log onto their employee system from home.

so there you have it - scientific proof of a connection between aviation and macs.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    gregneil wrote:
    so there you have it - scientific proof of a connection between aviation and macs.

Pure genius!

(did you see the NYTimes article that Andy posted a link to?)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    Yes, great article!

The genius bar is a great idea and one of the single biggest contributors to the success of Apple's retail strategy, I think. Now if only we can cut the wait time down, things will be golden.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    gregneil wrote:
    Yes, great article!

The genius bar is a great idea and one of the single biggest contributors to the success of Apple's retail strategy, I think. Now if only we can cut the wait time down, things will be golden.

greg, yer famous!
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2005
    gregneil wrote:
    Yes, it's true. At least, I've got people here at work convinced it's true. Most rabid mac fans (and it seems there's a few here on the forum) know more than I do. But to the average user who needs help, I've got it down. And I'm certified to pull apart powerbooks and fix them. So that's fun. Thismorning I pulled a hard drive from a powerbook that was totally dead to do a data transfer, and in a few minutes I'm going to be up to my elbows in eMac guts.

But really, now, let's get back on topic.

Very cool, Greg, will have to stop in some time and meet ya. Loved your triptych, voted for it even. Are the headshots of you?

Lynne
    Mac Geek to the stars