waynedsargentwaynedsargent Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited March 22, 2007 in People
Here is a recent portrait shot:
137417415-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Looks like portrait-- other than the shirt and your title, I'd have no idea your subject was a cheerleader.

I think this would be much better if you dropped the stiff pose and had her show you what it's like being a cheerleader. Get her in front of a white or gray backdrop and shoot her jumping with her pom-poms or doing some sort of cheerleader move. Remember, photos are always better when you don't need to explain what they're about. In this case, I think you'd be better off showing the energy and action that makes someone a cheerleader.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    true
    some of the girls were stiff other posed more cheer like. It was more what they wanted and the parents wanted.
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Nice image, I don't think the pose is too stiff and her outfit says cheerleader.

I would like to see a hairlight added to make her "pop" off the background.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    some of the girls were stiff other posed more cheer like. It was more what they wanted and the parents wanted.

Well, you certainly have to do what your clients want. But... I don't know a single teenage girl who would want the kind of photo you posted, that's all I'm saying. Check out myspace-- teens these days want dynamic shots like they see in magazines, not boring ol' muslin background photos.

If this particular shoot worked out for you, that's great. I just suspect you could increase sales and profits with a little more dynamic shooting style.

I shoot A LOT of teenage girls (I mostly shoot fashion) and my strategy is to shoot the way I know the client wants, but then shoot a couple of fun shots too. The client ends up happy and the girls end up with fun pics for themselves. See what I'm saying? In other words, you can get paid from the client, plus sell photos to the subject/model. :D

Let me put my money where my mouth is-- here's a 17-year-old I recently photographed. The client was a designer-- once I finished shooting the nice fashion-clothes-oriented photos for the designer, we just snapped a few fun shots. This shot-- which was useless for the client-- ended up being the girl's favorite photo of the entire shoot-- and the one she purchased (and used on her myspace page).

75955326.jpg

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    The first time I did individual portraits for cheer teams I had some like that too but I have found they may want the sterile photos at first but once they see different ones they are happy.

cheer47sm.jpg
    cheer24sm.jpg
    cheer15sm.jpg

I have more portrait style ones from portrait sessions I can link you to later, they are on a different computer so I can't ul them right now.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2007
    Wow
    Thanks for the beating.eek7.gif
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    This is a good thread. "Beating"? Maybe- but I know we've all benefited from the good C&C here at DGrin.
    I tell you, I went back and looked at my cheer portraits and ... :nah whew~ next year I hope to do way better. There's never an end, is there!
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2007

I was trying to give you helpful tips on both improving your photos and increasing your sales. Believe me... it was not intended as a beating. I'm sure sorry that's the way it was perceived.

Perhaps a disclaimer when you post photos would be helpful? Something like, "Please, only post positive comments"?

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    lol3.gif

Yeah, this did turn into a Whipping Post experience, didn't it? I notice you didn't actually ask for comment and criticism.

Please don't take it personally. As you probably know, we have good inmates here who mean nothing but the best. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    Laughing.gif like they all said, it was not ment as a beating. Trust me, my first cheerleader shots where loved by their parents but they were nothing I was fond of. I wasn't trying to discourage, or say your shot was bad, I was simply showing you a different style that I think you would find to be more fun to shoot, ane more fun to process. Hopefully sell more even but even if it only sold the same it would be alot more fun for you and the girls. And I know what you mean about the ones that just want something bland but that is because they are nervous. Laugh, joke, get them moving around and they will loosen up and it will show in the photos.

I don't post alot of my shots cause I don't like most of them. But when I follow my own advice (which I should do more) I get stuff I am really happy with. I love photography, I love shooting, and I love getting great results. Just looking to help another photographer have more fun.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    I'd take one beating from Dogwood over 1000 "nice shots" from others any day of the week. Remember, these are just suggestions, not personal attacks. It is up to you to decide which are worth taking to heart and which to ignore. I hope to see more of your work here.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto