LPS #2 Tower

pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
edited March 25, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Better earlier then later I suppose. Saw this building from far away, and I had to shoot it. Spend close to an hour walking around the building shooting, and all i get for my trouble is dirty sneakers, wet pants, and some great (IMO) shots. I even got to break out my Infrared Filter :clap. So here are some of my choices for your consideration.

Infrared shot (one of my top 2)
Stately_01.jpg

The second shot in my top 2
Stately_03.jpg

I like this one too but not as much as the one above
Stately_02.jpg

I'm iffy about this one (i know the color's flat, I can prolly do PP since I shoot raw)
Stately_04.jpg
pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section

Comments

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    LPS #1 or #2? Stately, I'm guessing? Laughing.gif!

If this is supposed to be chilly or steamy, you're not quite there. :D

Humble? not there either...

But stately? I think you're almost there! I think #2 is the best of this bunch. If I were thinking stately, i'd be thinking that this building should be standing over more visible, lowly or normal buildings, but standing out somehow - like the shadows or something. Is it possible to reshoot? If not, #2 is definitely the winner to me! thumb.gif

I love the IR - how did you do it? Gorgeous!
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    grrr that's what happens when you post after a long day headscratch.gif

Yeah definetly going for stately here. I can reshoot, but the tower is a part of a bulding, and there is nothing small around it except the attached building ( you can see a part of it in that shot)

Infrared shot was done with a IR filter. You can read about http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/ that's where I learned most of what I know about IR. I higly recomend trying it =c)

Thanks for the feedback :D
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    Pyro, I like the pics but the buiding looks "tilting".
    I suggest you run perspective correction tools like "hugin" and fix it, and it will look better.
    Hugin.sourceforge.net is free and open source, and will help you a lot in building photography, esp when shooting straight up!
    edited March 21, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Pyro, I like the pics but the buiding looks "tilting".
    I suggest you run perspective correction tools like "hugin" and fix it, and it will look better.
    Hugin.sourceforge.net is free and open source, and will help you a lot in building photography, esp when shooting straight up!

Can you expand on "tilting"? And are you talking about any particular shot or all of em?
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    I like ##1 and 2 and of the two I like the first one best. I especially like the angle at which you took the shots.

#1 is my favorite because the IR emphasizes the "stately" tower and gives the photograph some drama. Is there any way to lighten up the lower buildings in the foreground just a bit? On my screen, at least, and to my eye there is too much black dead space in the photograph. If it were my picture I would either lighten up the foreground (keeping it as shadow but with just a little more detail), or crop to something closer to square or both just to see if I liked the result better.

Another question is whether they are challenge worthy and on this to be honest I am not sure. Here I am using the criteria of whether I would like to hang one of them on my wall. If it were a picture of my college, maybe yes. Otherwise, I don't think so. I guess I would recommend that you continue shooting to the challenge themes and decide as the deadline gets closer which of your efforts you really love. Then go for it.

Please take all of the above with a huge grain of salt. I have a very poor batting average at figuring out what will do well in the challenges. Anyway, good luck! I think you have made a very strong start.

Virginia

Email
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    OK, scratch idea #1. :D

I'm liking the first two best.
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    Can you expand on "tilting"? And are you talking about any particular shot or all of em?
    1 and 3
    Look closely. There is some scope for perspective correction. It will make your tower pop.
    Can you reshoot on a partially cloudy day? That will make your sky dynamic too!
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    grrr that's what happens when you post after a long day headscratch.gif

Yeah definetly going for stately here. I can reshoot, but the tower is a part of a bulding, and there is nothing small around it except the attached building ( you can see a part of it in that shot)

Infrared shot was done with a IR filter. You can read about http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/ that's where I learned most of what I know about IR. I higly recomend trying it =c)

Thanks for the feedback :D

Laughing.gif! It's funny how your mind can work and replace words...

Thanks so much for the IR info! I love IR and have a GREAT plugin with PS, but would love to do them for real. I'll check it out! :)

Great shots no matter what!
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    stately I presume...
    number 1 is very stately, definately needs a perspective correction...

Winston
    edited March 22, 2007
    Thanks for all your feedback guys. We had some dramatic skies today, so I took some shots, and combined the images. I also did 2 tighter crops. I may at some point next week try the perspective correction (maybe I don't know what I'm missing). So what do you think about these?

Stately_05.jpg

Stately_06_resize.jpg
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    My take
    I think the first one (of the last posts) is more dominating than the second. A bit more up front and personal. Pretty tricky shot to say the least. Keep at it, I think you're on to something here.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Pyro,
    Thanks for all your feedback guys. We had some dramatic skies today, so I took some shots, and combined the images. I also did 2 tighter crops. I may at some point next week try the perspective correction (maybe I don't know what I'm missing). So what do you think about these?

It's a great image already. My only thoughts at this point would be to get them even more Gotham-like that they already are, possibly using Free Transorm and actually introducing more keystoning rather than removing it.

Other than that I also choose #1.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    #1 thumb.gif

Virginia

Email
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    I think the first one (of the last posts) is more dominating than the second. A bit more up front and personal. Pretty tricky shot to say the least. Keep at it, I think you're on to something here.

15524779-Ti.gif Definitely gets the feel for me. Gonna be a tough image to beat.
    edited March 25, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback, #1 it is =c)
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif Definitely gets the feel for me. Gonna be a tough image to beat.
    15524779-Ti.gif too. I see you already entered it. Good Luck.
    JIll
    Jill