Options

Maria

nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited March 24, 2007 in People
My "I look terrible in pictures" sister-in-law. She's got a bit of a complex because of her honker. This is a combination of natural light from a nearby window and the flash bounced off the ceiling to eliminate the shadows on the bridge of her nose.

Even though this is a snapshot, I believe she looks great -- unfortunately, Maria isn't fully convinced.

136930473-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    It's a really nice shot, and Maria is a beautiful girl. It's amazing what us women can find to be self-conscious about.

Love your B&W conversion too :)
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    nikos wrote:
    My "I look terrible in pictures" sister-in-law. She's got a bit of a complex because of her honker. This is a combination of natural light from a nearby window and the flash bounced off the ceiling to eliminate the shadows on the bridge of her nose.

Even though this is a snapshot, I believe she looks great -- unfortunately, Maria isn't fully convinced.

I think you did a fantastic job, and if you hadn't pointed out her nose, I never would have even noticed it. We all are harder on ourselves than others are, in general.

You have done her beauty justice. Her gorgeous eyes, creamy skin and wonderfully textured hair take the stage here...really a beautiful shot.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Great conversion. I don't believe her nose stands out in this image, but in general, the longer the focal length of the lens the less rounded the image will get. Not sure if I am doing a good job of explaining this... Basically portraits are more flattering with telephoto vs wide angle lenses and this one appears to be taken with a slightly wide angle. Does that make sense? So in the future, a telephoto will help to not accentuate her nose.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    She is a beautiful woman. Your choice of lens, though, didn't do her any favors. To minimize facial feature (such as noses, etc), shot with a longer focal length from a further distance. On a crop body, think about using something between 50 and 85 mm.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    I like what you did with the lighting. I agree with others that if you had not mentioned it, I wouldn't even have noticed her nose....she's a beautiful gal. I also agree that the lens did not do her any favors. What I notice is that her one eye that is in focus, is "too" prominent, almost bulging, probably due to the lens. I do, however, like the pose and the shallow depth of field. I would definitely attempt it again with a different lens and see what you come up with. :D
  • Options
    nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the compliments and great advice.

If I understand correctly, I should take a close up shot of her with my 10-20mm lens next time for better results. I know that once I show her the results, she won't be as camera shy anymore.

Okay, just kidding rolleyes1.gif. Just to clarify, I was using my 50mm 1.4 lens to take pictures of my newborn. Maria's pic was a snapshot that I was able to sneak in since she usually turns her head to foil the picture.

I have a 70-200 2.8 IS lens and I'll see if she is willing to let me do a shoot of her. She's a bit more lax now since she gets to hold and play with the baby.

Thanks again,
    Nikos
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    nikos wrote:

I have a 70-200 2.8 IS lens and I'll see if she is willing to let me do a shoot of her. She's a bit more lax now since she gets to hold and play with the baby.

Thanks again,
    Nikos

The 70-200 is definitely the way to go. 200 is very flattering, believe it or not. Used to be a lot of fashion shooters who used 400's, maybe there still are?

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+