Options

fiddling with HDR stuff

com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited August 17, 2007 in Technique
just learned the concept a few days ago...and so i'm just learning it right now...

seems that the photos tend to have a washed out feel to em, but overall, it's a neat artsy thing, methinks... i took these over the last 2 days.

thoughts? care to share yours?

today:

137537212-L.jpg

137531580-L.jpg

137535408-L.jpg

yesterday:

137380741-L.jpg

137360404-L.jpg

137380144-L.jpg

the galleries with even more are here: http://4theriders.smugmug.com/gallery/2607214 and here: http://4theriders.smugmug.com/gallery/2604205

Comments

• Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    I think you've done well, like you say HDR images to seem to come out inherently flat and a little lifeless, I think you need to try boosting the contrast particularly on your bike shots. Your 2nd and 3rd shots work best for me.

I think the most successful HDR's are those which are not obviously HDR.

I've tried to use HDR in the past as a substitute for ND grad filters but have had little success.

Charlie
  • Options
    ericgtrericgtr Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    I think you have done an excellent job, these are just right IMO not too over done (which is easy to do) and tasteful, just the right amount. I am too just learning with this, a tend to lean more towards night photography, a few of my HDR's can be seen here http://ericgtr.smugmug.com/gallery/2554432#137190934
  • Options
    simmosimmo Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    Hi everyone, relatively new here, nice to meet you all.

I've had a dabble with HDR over the past few months and I find it quite appealing sometimes but some people go crazy and use it when its not really adding anything to the photo.

I like your work, they are on the more natural side of the scale, but I think even the extreme stuff has a place. I think the rusty car photo of yours could have been captured with a single exposure. It doesn't really appear to have any more DR. It is still a good shot though you could probably acheive the same result with less effort.

Here are two of my attempts (i like bikes too), 2007 CBR600:

319095993_c305b77c4e.jpg?v=0

And this one of the life saver hut at Toronto beaches area:

304502069_a0e5b23db1.jpg?v=1164322605
    www.PeopleWhoDoSTUFF.com/blog
    Canada Blogging - travel journal
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    simmo wrote:
    I like your work, they are on the more natural side of the scale, but I think even the extreme stuff has a place. I think the rusty car photo of yours could have been captured with a single exposure. It doesn't really appear to have any more DR. It is still a good shot though you could probably acheive the same result with less effort.

great shot of the RR! and yeah, i know what you mean about the truck...though, i did do 3 shots on the truck prior to my HDR attempt.. close, but not quite; shadows were too dark in most cases, so i did an HDR to subltly bring out some of those shadows being cast by the trees.

thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    ericgtr wrote:
    I think you have done an excellent job, these are just right IMO not too over done (which is easy to do) and tasteful, just the right amount. I am too just learning with this, a tend to lean more towards night photography, a few of my HDR's can be seen here http://ericgtr.smugmug.com/gallery/2554432#137190934

i thought you were a local for a sec. :D great shots! i really like the night shots. thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    just learned the concept a few days ago...and so i'm just learning it right now...
    seems that the photos tend to have a washed out feel to em, but overall, it's a neat artsy thing, methinks... i took these over the last 2 days.
    thoughts? care to share yours?
    today:
    yesterday:
    the galleries with even more are here: http://4theriders.smugmug.com/gallery/2607214 and here: http://4theriders.smugmug.com/gallery/2604205

Hi Com3 well your learning very fast I'd say nod.gif
    Which tutorial did you follow, cause I am failing to understand how it works.
    I've tried to use the HDR merge in photoshop but it keeps telling me my images are not suitable, so I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I'd like to learn how to do it, some people are really good at writting instructions and others are not.

Thanks for sharing, your images look great clap.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    I've tried to use the HDR merge in photoshop but it keeps telling me my images are not suitable, so I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I'd like to learn how to do it, some people are really good at writting instructions and others are not.

Thanks for sharing, your images look great clap.gif .... Skippy

i saw it on wikipedia.com ....i haven't seen any tutorials for it... just trial+error. you have to have THREE or more of the same shot (but different exposure).
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    Skippy wrote:

That happened to me when I took a single raw file and tried to save it at 3 different exposures, it was like PS knew I was trying to trick it or something!

There are plenty of great tutorials out there, but like Com3 mentioned the main thing it that you need to have at least three different shots at different exposures. Exposure Bracketing makes it much easier.
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    How to Create High Dynamic Range Images
    Hi Skippy and all,

I found this article/tutorial on HDR this morning and was searching DGrin to see if someone had posted it before. I haven't tried it myself yet but will soon. My apologies if it's here somewhere already and i missed it:

"This step-by-step tutorial will help you get started using either the popular HDR software from Photomatix or the built-in HDR features found in Photoshop CS2 and Bridge."

http://www.popphoto.com/howto/3038/how-to-create-high-dynamic-range-images.html
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    Hi Skippy and all,

I found this article/tutorial on HDR this morning and was searching DGrin to see if someone had posted it before. I haven't tried it myself yet but will soon. My apologies if it's here somewhere already and i missed it:

"This step-by-step tutorial will help you get started using either the popular HDR software from Photomatix or the built-in HDR features found in Photoshop CS2 and Bridge."

Thank you, I book marked it thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Thanks!
    salazar wrote:
    Hi Skippy and all,

I'm happy to hear I have this option in CS2. Now to take the time to plan ahead and have my tripod! :-)
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    I'm happy to hear I have this option in CS2. Now to take the time to plan ahead and have my tripod! :-)

I don't leave home without it anymore, I have become very attached to using it.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    i tried using the PS CS2 >merge to HDR dealio... can't say that i was impressed. instead, i found that photomatrix works MUUUUCH better. plus, it has tone mapping.... maybe CS2 does as well, but i didn't see it.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    i tried using the PS CS2 >merge to HDR dealio... can't say that i was impressed. instead, i found that photomatrix works MUUUUCH better. plus, it has tone mapping.... maybe CS2 does as well, but i didn't see it.

For me it was the opposite, I like CS2 better and it seemed a little faster for me. It seems to be a pretty split decision out there from what I have seen.
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Here is a link to a program that I read alot of people are using for HDR. Looks like you can download a trial version.

http://www.hdrsoft.com/

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    jcpjcp Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2007
    I think these are excellent HDR photos. As others have said, it's easy to overdo them, or loose contrast, but you have done these very well.

I'm interested to know if you used Photomatix for these shots. I would have found photomatix difficult as at least for me, it creates nasty bright area's around lines, so the bridge photo would have uneveness between the cables. I can't see this problem in your photo.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2007
    jcp wrote:
    As others have said, it's easy to overdo them, or loose contrast..

True, here's an example. Have a look at the water burns in this one, I will have to run it again at some point to fix this, maybe gaussian blur over those sections or the entire water.

136411409-M-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2007
    ericgtr wrote:
    True, here's an example. Have a look at the water burns in this one, I will have to run it again at some point to fix this, maybe gaussian blur over those sections or the entire water.

hahaha! i TOTALLY shot some HDR pics of the same building on friday. :D i haven't yet had a chance to splice em, as i haven't been home in over a week... but i'll post up when i'm done with em.

non-hdrs...but good exposure of the 3 i took...maybe for comparison when i'm done later. :D

139818055-L.jpg

no, i don't know who's crack that is
    139824501-L.jpg

also stopped at the bridge for an opp..
    139826391-L.jpg

i'm pretty excited to see what i can do about making these into HDRs with all the other exposures i got as well. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2007
    Dude! Those are all the same locations I hit. thumb.gif
  • Options
    BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    HDR is driving me nuts... I have become addicted!!! Of course I have nothing else to do while living on the road! sure... (glad to see some twho wheelers here by the way! cool...).
    I have not bought the sofware yet. This is the one I like the best
    It has a little watermark on the bottom left for now, that is the free version... My question to them is WHY the image one needs to work with is so small! Has anyone tried this...

184732714-L.jpg

184732568-L.jpg

If the window one needs to work with can be bigger I might buy it... for $39 it is a good deal...

Even my dog is obessed... he is trying to distract me!!! Poor guy...

184732709-M.jpg

(not HDR!!!)

Be well... Ara & Spirit
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...