New User Greetings

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited March 22, 2007 in People
Hello all,

I recently found this forum quite by mistake, but am happy to not only contribute, but also to share and learn from everyone here.

I began my photography habit over 20 years ago as a way to capture landscape and archetectual images that I would later draw and or paint. I have recently rediscovered my love for this art through digital equipment.

I enjoy experimenting with most any type of photography. Although I still fancy myself a landscape hobbyist, I find that I take more photographs of people than any other subject.

I am including a photograph of my neice who came over a few weeks ago so my daughter could fix her hair for a princess party. The photo was taken at ISO1600 with a 400D and 50mm lens at F1.8. I tend to enjoy the challenges that existing light presents. I used a custom white balance as the lighting in our dressing area casts a horrible tint. This particular image was especially noisy, and I softened it quite a bit to control the noise, trying to preserve eye detail of course. The results might be pounced upon by the pixel peepers of the world, however I think that it truely represents that moment in time, and at the same time looks quite timeless(Was it taken a few weeks ago, or 20 years ago?)

C&C is always welcome.
original.jpg

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    I think it's adorable, in a highly stylized way. The only comment I would offer is that the framing bugs me. Me, I'd crop off some from the right and from the bottom, to put her head closer to a right side third.

Welcome to dgrin! wave.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I think it's adorable, in a highly stylized way. The only comment I would offer is that the framing bugs me. Me, I'd crop off some from the right and from the bottom, to put her head closer to a right side third.

Welcome to dgrin! wave.gif

I don't remember without locating the original if I cropped at all or not. I'm not sure, though, about the head being located in the right third. I understand exactly what you mean, but for me the subject is the eyes, which line up for the upper third. This idea of mine may be wrong, and definitely wrong for a less intimate photo, but I think it works for this one. For me it does anyway. Here is another I took that day with the head in the upper third.

Thank you for the C&C.

medium.jpg
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Hello all,

I recently found this forum quite by mistake, but am happy to not only contribute, but also to share and learn from everyone here.

I began my photography habit over 20 years ago as a way to capture landscape and archetectual images that I would later draw and or paint. I have recently rediscovered my love for this art through digital equipment.

I enjoy experimenting with most any type of photography. Although I still fancy myself a landscape hobbyist, I find that I take more photographs of people than any other subject.

I am including a photograph of my neice who came over a few weeks ago so my daughter could fix her hair for a princess party. The photo was taken at ISO1600 with a 400D and 50mm lens at F1.8. I tend to enjoy the challenges that existing light presents. I used a custom white balance as the lighting in our dressing area casts a horrible tint. This particular image was especially noisy, and I softened it quite a bit to control the noise, trying to preserve eye detail of course. The results might be pounced upon by the pixel peepers of the world, however I think that it truely represents that moment in time, and at the same time looks quite timeless(Was it taken a few weeks ago, or 20 years ago?)
    C&C is always welcome.

Welcome to the forum Jeff, your niece is a little cutie iloveyou.gif
    I chuckle to myself when I see these type of shots how they look so innocent so placid and I think to myself......

...... wonder what the monster side of this kid is like rolleyes1.gif

I like the second shot you posted, enjoy the forum, nice to see you on board.......... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited March 21, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Welcome to the forum Jeff, your niece is a little cutie iloveyou.gif
    I chuckle to myself when I see these type of shots how they look so innocent so placid and I think to myself......

...... wonder what the monster side of this kid is like rolleyes1.gif

I like the second shot you posted, enjoy the forum, nice to see you on board.......... Skippy

I hear ya, and agree with the angel in print, but only part time angel in real life theory. My kids are all teenagers, and I still cannot believe how fast they have grown up. It makes me especially sensitive to try and capture moments like these for others. In the blink of an eye that little cutey will be asking for the car keys!
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Both shots are very cute. Generally I don't like softened images but I like it in these two. I agree with Sid on the cropping of the top image. Not so much to make it fit the rule of thirds but to me the image stops where her hair goes to black on the right. The extra dark area on the right does not add anything to the shot so I think it should go. Very nice first post, I hope we get to see a lot more from you.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 22, 2007
    Welcome aboard Jeff. wave.gif

Great first post!

thumb.gif
    edited March 22, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    Welcome aboard Jeff. wave.gif

Great first post!

thumb.gif

Thanks
    edited March 22, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    Both shots are very cute. Generally I don't like softened images but I like it in these two. I agree with Sid on the cropping of the top image. Not so much to make it fit the rule of thirds but to me the image stops where her hair goes to black on the right. The extra dark area on the right does not add anything to the shot so I think it should go. Very nice first post, I hope we get to see a lot more from you.

Thanks.....for the welcome and the feedback. After studying the first shot a bit more I can see what you mean about the black area to the right. I'm thinking to crop it just a bit past where the hair gets lost in the dark.