LPS#2 I like feedback please...

VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited March 22, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
do these images say "humble"? and any other comment or critique would be most appriciated...

Jimmy and Stuby

137709865-L.jpg

137710381-L.jpg

Thanks
Winston

Comments

• fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    For what it is worth, I like the one with both donkeys (mules?) in the shot. It has a certain appeal to me. I was thinking if it said "humble" to me and I thought if it had the title "Humble Creatures" then that would really work IMHO. Hope that helps...
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    For what it is worth, I like the one with both donkeys (mules?) in the shot. It has a certain appeal to me. I was thinking if it said "humble" to me and I thought if it had the title "Humble Creatures" then that would really work IMHO. Hope that helps...

It's worth a lot... I think if I have to put the word humble in the title then it really doesn't work... any way I got lots of ideas!! thanks for the feedback:D

Winston
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    i was thinking, actually ive been think about this particular challenge all day. in my mind ive come up with about a dozen angles on this theme. anyway - i think you're on to something. Actually i think your idea is brilliant !!! I think you can use a single donkey ( if that's what it is ) to convey humble and im gonna tell ya how ( free of charge, unless you end up winning the big $$ ). From my childhod "what character" was most humble. what character never saw his own greatness - who was genuinelly "humble"? Hint - think about the 100 acre-wood.
    give up? ....................... Eyeore! from winnie-the-pooh. So a donkey is a brillant idea! As a matter of fact, i was going to shoot a donkey tomorrow or the next day myself. But ive changed my mind.
    I leave it up to you to make this "humble" donkey a real winner. Good luck in the challenge.

troy
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    I like the first one, but for some reason i'm not seeing humble. The second one on the other hand I really like. On the second look i'm not crazy about what you did with the background, maybe a blur would be better?
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    I like the shot of the two donkeys. Personally, I think someone who rides a donkey is choosing a humble mode of transportation (at least in some contexts). The donkey itself? Not so much. The donkeys I have known all have an attitude. Is that distinction important for the contest? I have no idea.
    edited March 22, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I like the shot of the two donkeys. Personally, I think someone who rides a donkey is choosing a humble mode of transportation (at least in some contexts). The donkey itself? Not so much. The donkeys I have known all have an attitude. Is that distinction important for the contest? I have no idea.

You are right about the attitude thing, donkes have gotten a realy bad rap... my donkeys are real sweet though and one of them is missing a tail... like eyeore... I made a prostetic tail for him last summer... but he didn't keep it on... I have thought of the eyeore concept as Windoze pointed out... I might try some more shots with the donkeys... I wish I had a Nun outfit to dress someone in for a donkey ride...:D

The below shot was taken last summer...

135809531-L.jpg

Cheers

Winston
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    If you can find that nun, you've got a winner. rolleyes1.gif

The backgrounds in both shots detract. In the first, it is busy, unattractive and blends in too much with the color of the donkeys. In the second the yellow green is unpleasant and raws my eye away from the sweet animal.

While the framing of the two donkey's in #1 is appealing, the soulful look in #2 grabs this viewer's interest more.

I love the tail!!

Virginia

Email
    edited March 22, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    If you can find that nun, you've got a winner. rolleyes1.gif

The backgrounds in both shots detract. In the first, it is busy, unattractive and blends in too much with the color of the donkeys. In the second the yellow green is unpleasant and raws my eye away from the sweet animal.

While the framing of the two donkey's in #1 is appealing, the soulful look in #2 grabs this viewer's interest more.

I love the tail!!

Virginia

Thanks Gina,

That is the kind of input I like!!! I was wondering if someone would comment on this aspect of the images... Since it was an overcast afternoon I thought I would try a few PS filters to dress the image up (directional light and watercolor to be exact) sometimes it helps, sometimes not... thanks for the comment.

Winston
    edited March 22, 2007
    It's worth a lot... I think if I have to put the word humble in the title then it really doesn't work... any way I got lots of ideas!! thanks for the feedback:D

Winston

Sorry! I didn't mean that. It just made me think for a split second and then it dawned on me, "humble creatures" and I loved it. In other words, you wouldn't have to have any title. I know that the colors are all very much the same in the first photo, but for me, that is the appeal - it draws your eye to the dark markings on their backs, which if you look at from a distance, almost looks like a face. It's one of those shots that if you saw on a wall, from across the room, you would think, "what the heck is that" and as you got closer, you would realize and think, "that's really cool". We never know what the judges are going to think/feel, so this is just my opinion - which doesn't count :) I suppose what I am trying to say is... I really like the first one and if you really like it too, then you should enter it. How do you feel about each shot?
    edited March 22, 2007
    Sorry! I didn't mean that. It just made me think for a split second and then it dawned on me, "humble creatures" and I loved it. In other words, you wouldn't have to have any title. I know that the colors are all very much the same in the first photo, but for me, that is the appeal - it draws your eye to the dark markings on their backs, which if you look at from a distance, almost looks like a face. It's one of those shots that if you saw on a wall, from across the room, you would think, "what the heck is that" and as you got closer, you would realize and think, "that's really cool". We never know what the judges are going to think/feel, so this is just my opinion - which doesn't count :) I suppose what I am trying to say is... I really like the first one and if you really like it too, then you should enter it. How do you feel about each shot?

I tend to be my own worst critic... that's why I try to get a little feed back here... with that said, I like them both ok, the first one has pretty good balance, the second one, the face of a donkey is very cute and expresive... any way I think I will try some more shoots... I wish they were trained well enough to sit on their hind quarters and look back over their shoulders... that is my vission, if you can picture it...:D

Winston
    edited March 22, 2007
    I tend to be my own worst critic... that's why I try to get a little feed back here... with that said, I like them both ok, the first one has pretty good balance, the second one, the face of a donkey is very cute and expresive... any way I think I will try some more shoots... I wish they were trained well enough to sit on their hind quarters and look back over their shoulders... that is my vission, if you can picture it...:D

Winston

Good luck with the new shots. I'm excited to see what you come up with... but I still like the first one.:D
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    I really love the first shot....I have to agree I don't immediately think "humble", but with the title it definitely works for me. Beautiful animals...good luck training your donkey to look over it's shoulder...you never know, you might luck out!!! :D
  • JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    I think it would be cool if you hooked him up to a plow, wagon, or made one of him staring humbly out of a stable door in a barn.

But what do I know, I'm no pro.... :D
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
    Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    I wish they were trained well enough to sit on their hind quarters and look back over their shoulders... that is my vission, if you can picture it...:D

Winston

... with the late afternoon sun light falling on half of their faces and their soleful eyes connecting with the viewer with the promise of warmth, adoration, passion .... oops, I think I got carried away. But yes, I can imagine it. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

Email