LPS#2, testing water#1

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited March 22, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
How about this for humble:

Master and Conductor (or Standing Ovation)

137605724-L.jpg
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    Hey Nik! You are right, in that orchestra members are always very 'humble' when taking their bows. I will say that I had to 'pause' for a moment and think about it. It's definitely a unique idea and worth considering. It may hit the judges right away...I'm just a little slow some days! Just wanted to give you my initial reaction. But, the more I think about it, the more I like it. :saurora
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    Saurora,
    saurora wrote:
    Hey Nik! You are right, in that orchestra members are always very 'humble' when taking their bows. I will say that I had to 'pause' for a moment and think about it. It's definitely a unique idea and worth considering. It may hit the judges right away...I'm just a little slow some days! Just wanted to give you my initial reaction. But, the more I think about it, the more I like it. :saurora

Thank you, appreciate your feedback! thumb.gif
    The whole LPS#2 is definitely making me feel humble by its stateliness.:D
    I keep thinking about it almost constantly. Definitely not your average "sunset" challenge...deal.gif
    I have a few (in fact, very few :cry ) other ideas, but this one is the first I managed to get my hands on at least initially..
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    I agree.....I think this one is going to be tougher! But........at least you've started!!! :D
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    This particular shot doesn't realy work for me... I think it could be a good subject though... I would try a close up or simply a tighter shot of the conductor taking his bow...

Winston
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    This particular shot doesn't realy work for me... I think it could be a good subject though... I would try a close up or simply a tighter shot of the conductor taking his bow...

Winston

15524779-Ti.gif The distance shot (which is very nicely executed and effectively cropped) doesn't grab me as a photograph since I don't have family or friends in the orchestra. You are on to an interesting idea. For me, a close up of the conductor anda couple of players sporting that wonderful "humble" expression performers can have in the face of a standing O would do it.

Congrats, btw, for making it to the semis. wings.gif

Virginia

Email
    edited March 22, 2007
    Winston,

Winston

Thank you for the feedback! thumb.gif

Yeah, you're probably right. In fact, I *was* thinking about that during the shoot, but I'd have to go to the other side of the concert hall, which seemed like a drag.. I'm afraid I blew it this time, since it was their last major performance for the year...:cry
    Oh well, onto the next one mwink.gif
    edited March 22, 2007
    Virginia,
    Flyinggina wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif The distance shot (which is very nicely executed and effectively cropped) doesn't grab me as a photograph since I don't have family or friends in the orchestra. You are on to an interesting idea. For me, a close up of the conductor and a couple of players sporting that wonderful "humble" expression performers can have in the face of a standing O would do it.

Yes, ma'am, I can see this.. Yet I was too lazy to get my arse across the hall.... And there gonna be no more performances any time soon, that was their Spring Concert...

BTW, this shot is, in fact, a pano made from 4 handheld landscapes (70-200 at 70). CS3 scores again!
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Congrats, btw, for making it to the semis. wings.gif
    Virginia

Thank you! thumb.gifiloveyou.gif
    edited March 22, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

BTW, this shot is, in fact, a pano made from 4 handheld landscapes (70-200 at 70). CS3 scores again!

I wondered if it was a pano and I almost asked. Then I thought, no way!! You could never work fast ehough to get such a good picture, I thought. Wrong. I am really impressed. By your skill and by CS3!!

Virginia

Email
    edited March 22, 2007
    Virginia,
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I wondered if it was a pano and I almost asked. Then I thought, no way!! You could never work fast enough to get such a good picture, I thought. Wrong. I am really impressed. By your skill and by CS3!!

Virginia

Thank you! :-)

Frankly, 6 months ago I wouldn't even think of it. But I have played a lot with CS3, including its new Photomerge (thank you Marc for bringing it to my attention!). So by now I know from my own experience that it can do a truly impressive job stitching large group shots even when taken under the most undesirable circumstances (handheld, non-manual, low-light, etc.).
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you! :-)

Frankly, 6 months ago I wouldn't even think of it. But I have played a lot with CS3, including its new Photomerge (thank you Marc for bringing it to my attention!). So by now I know from my own experience that it can do a truly impressive job stitching large group shots even when taken under the most undesirable circumstances (handheld, non-manual, low-light, etc.).

Nik,

Thats amazing! I have used adobe since PS4... and I am using PSCS now, not impressed with it's pano conversion... seems like I allways end up doing it manualy... any way maybe it is time for an upgrade...:D

Winston
    edited March 22, 2007
    Less than a month before CS3 is available to all . :ivar

Virginia

Email
    edited March 22, 2007
    Winston,
    Nik,

Thats amazing! I have used adobe since PS4... and I am using PSCS now, not impressed with it's pano conversion... seems like I allways end up doing it manualy... any way maybe it is time for an upgrade...:D

Winston

CS3 Beta has its quirks, but it's already the best PS ever, and I have all my hopes that the release would be even better...
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    This is a great idea Nik
    I concur with the one suggestion that if there were a way to isolate (or bring the conductor more to the forefront) as the subject, with the orchestra & possibly part of the crowd, you'd have a winner. I think we need to see his face/gesture/demeaner that would get the message across without a title.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited March 22, 2007
    Swartzy,
    Swartzy wrote:
    I concur with the one suggestion that if there were a way to isolate (or bring the conductor more to the forefront) as the subject, with the orchestra & possibly part of the crowd, you'd have a winner. I think we need to see his face/gesture/demeaner that would get the message across without a title.

Thanks, man! thumb.gif
    Too bad they are not gonna play any time soon <sigh>