Lps #2 Feedback Please!

saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
edited March 24, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok, I've decided not to bang my head against the wall for this challenge, but to get out and start shooting something.......anything! So here is my first (but maybe not my last) attempt. I would appreciate feedback, as my PS skills aren't the best! :D

STATELY SENTINEL
137807942-L.jpg

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Nice aussie gum tree there saurora thumb.gif Your thinking is going in the right direction i believe but for me anyway...the angle is wrong. I would def try some diff shots of it.

Whats the widest lens you have ?
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Nice aussie gum tree there saurora thumb.gif Your thinking is going in the right direction i believe but for me anyway...the angle is wrong. I would def try some diff shots of it.

Whats the widest lens you have ?

I agree with Gus... good start though...:D

Winston
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    I agree. It's a very good idea for stately. thumb.gif

Virginia

Email
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Thanks, Gus. This was shot with the Canon 10-22. I shot a lot of stuff yesterday on my lunch hour, but I haven't truly had much practical experience shooting wide angle. Most of what I came up with was not what I thought I wanted! Of course, keeping the background free of buildings, etc. was the real challenge. Not too much in the way of wide open spaces around this area. I fully intend to try some more, but wanted to get myself 'commited' by posting! Any further ideas as to how I should line this up? It's also hard to get down on the wet ground and look up (not to mention staying clean)! This morning I'm a little stiff from all the getting up and down, and up and down! rolleyes1.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    A good idea
    This is a tricky shot to accomplish....great for you getting out there and shooting. I've been looking at this trying to think of angle, perspective, vantage point, etc. but not being there makes it kind of tough for suggestions as there are prolly lots of distractions around. If possible, say reshooting this tree, I'd be inclined to get that shot at daybreak or sunset with some color in the sky.....kind of difficult to acheive as the shot is straight up but I think color & contrast will make a shot more effective. Sorry, not much help here.....going shooting today as well.....good luck.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Any further ideas as to how I should line this up? It's also hard to get down on the wet ground and look up (not to mention staying clean)! This morning I'm a little stiff from all the getting up and down, and up and down! rolleyes1.gif

Tuff shot, without lying flat on your back... you could try standing close to the tree with your back to it then tilt your head back and kind of lean and arch back... and shoot straight up that way, adjusting by tilting your camera... I would think you would want the trunk filling the bottom of the frame... this might work well if the tree is tall enough and you are flexable enoughrolleyes1.gif

I can create an example with your shot if you want me to...

Winston
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Saurora,
    I agree with the others.. Nice start, but not there yet.
    Including the base of the tree could help a lot.

Something in this direction maybe (pardon the quality, it's an unprocessed version):

126310099-M.jpg

And no, I'm not gonna back to Sequoia NP for retake :-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited March 22, 2007
    :D
    Tuff shot, without lying flat on your back... you could try standing close to the tree with your back to it then tilt your head back and kind of lean and arch back... and shoot straight up that way, adjusting by tilting your camera... I would think you would want the trunk filling the bottom of the frame... this might work well if the tree is tall enough and you are flexable enoughrolleyes1.gif

I can create an example with your shot if you want me to...

Winston

Thanks for the ideas, Winston....they gave me a good chuckle knowing how 'dizzy' I am (and not very flexible either), the idea of striking that pose and attempting to look through a lens cracks me up. But.....I have some other ideas I may attempt!
    edited March 22, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I agree with the others.. Nice start, but not there yet.
    Including the base of the tree could help a lot.

Something in this direction maybe (pardon the quality, it's an unprocessed version):

126310099-M.jpg

And no, I'm not gonna back to Sequoia NP for retake :-)

Thanks, Nik....I didn't get the base as I was trying to eliminate surrounding objects I didn't want in the shot...and at the same time trying not to center the tree too much. I did attempt some shots similar to what you posted....I laughed later as the wide angle of the lens managed to capture my head (upside down, of course) in the frame! Some very odd self-portraits are arising out of this first attempt! rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 24, 2007
    I have worked up a couple of other shots I took that might be better....than again, after seeing all the awesome entries, they seem woefully inadequate. However...I will move forth! I have some time off this week and may be able to find something else. For now, please tell me what you think of these 3 which includes my original post. I'm sure they're not strong enough entries, but here goes..

#1 (original post)

STATELY SENTINEL
    137807942-L.jpg[/QUOTE]

#2 ( a better composition, I think (but darn, I lose some clouds!)....ne_nau.gif )

138048994-L.jpg

#3 This one goes with the title of the thread which I'm already locked into, I guess. It is a cemetary tree and does sort of seem to be a sentinel over the graves. It's hard to capture the hugeness of these trees! I realize the horizon it tilted, but the tree was leaning so badly, I compromised and tilted the horizon.

138048989-L.jpg
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Actually, I like the last one best! Is it possible to shoot it and include the entire tree? Or from the side so you can see it leaning over the "humble" graves? Hmmm, but then would be be stately or caring? headscratch.gif But I still like the last shot best.

What a cool looking tree!!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Saurora,
    Actually, I like the last one best! Is it possible to shoot it and include the entire tree? Or from the side so you can see it leaning over the "humble" graves? Hmmm, but then would be be stately or caring? headscratch.gif But I still like the last shot best.

What a cool looking tree!!

I agree. And if you can't fit in one shot, take a couple and make a pano in CS3 (or whatever your favorite stitching app is)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I agree. And if you can't fit in one shot, take a couple and make a pano in CS3 (or whatever your favorite stitching app is)
    thumb.gifGREAT idea! 11doh.gif

I need to remember that in the future! :D