Printer that can mount a backing board on your prints?

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited March 23, 2007 in Finishing School
I'm looking for a place that can print some enlargements and mount them on some sort of rigid backing for me so that when I get them, they are already mounted. I, of course, want it to be a high quality printer too.

Does anyone know of an online printer that can mount a backing on your photos?
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm looking for a place that can print some enlargements and mount them on some sort of rigid backing for me so that when I get them, they are already mounted. I, of course, want it to be a high quality printer too.

John: http://www.millerslab.com/

If you are going H U G E then use

http://www.bigposters.com
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    jfriend wrote:

WHCC

I ordered a 20x30 fine art velvet print mounted on 2mm styrene. The quality was awesome. They have a great variety of backings: styrene, foamcore, matboard, masonite, and others. I highly recommend them.

If you're in a hurry, WHCC could be a problem though. Before you can order from them, you have to submit five photos to have printed at 8x10 to confirm calibration. It's totally free, and a great service, but it's about a one-week turn-around time before you can actually place an order.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Thanks
    Andy wrote:
    John: http://www.millerslab.com/

If you are going H U G E then use

http://www.bigposters.com

Thanks Andy. Millerslab looks like they do what I want, but I can't find their prices anywhere before actually registering and trying to place an order. Not even a Google search could turn up their prices. I've emailed them to ask.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited March 22, 2007
    BenA2 wrote:
    WHCC

I ordered a 20x30 fine art velvet print mounted on 2mm styrene. The quality was awesome. They have a great variety of backings: styrene, foamcore, matboard, masonite, and others. I highly recommend them.

If you're in a hurry, WHCC could be a problem though. Before you can order from them, you have to submit five photos to have printed at 8x10 to confirm calibration. It's totally free, and a great service, but it's about a one-week turn-around time before you can actually place an order.

Thanks. I'll check out WHCC as they are considered a top lab. I'm not in a hurry so they could work. They offer matboard, styrene board, masonite, foamboard and standout at reasonable prices. Looks pretty interesting.

Millers Lab won't work for me. They require you to be a pro with a state sales tax ID #. They referred me to MPIX which is also an option, but their web-site isn't as clear as WHCC for what they offer in this area.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    John,

Isn't there a multitude of labs in the Bay area that can and will do what you need? ne_nau.gif

I know there a a lot of them in the LA area that had used bak in my film days as well as Seattle.....just figureing you might want to not have the finished product shipping from coast to coast..................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited March 22, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    John,

Isn't there a multitude of labs in the Bay area that can and will do what you need? ne_nau.gif

I know there a a lot of them in the LA area that had used bak in my film days as well as Seattle.....just figureing you might want to not have the finished product shipping from coast to coast..................

I don't know if there are good labs in the Bay Area that will do the backing. Probably, but I don't know how to find them. I'm purposely ignoring Wal-Mart, Costco, Walgreens and Longs. I don't see backing options at Ritz or Keeble and Shucat.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Another possibility is ColorInc. I use them quite often and have been very pleased.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I don't know if there are good labs in the Bay Area that will do the backing. Probably, but I don't know how to find them. I'm purposely ignoring Wal-Mart, Costco, Walgreens and Longs. I don't see backing options at Ritz or Keeble and Shucat.

Check your phone book under either Photo processing labs Pro or under photography labs pro.....for that matter ask a local photog club or association or pro camera retailer (unless something drastic has changed since I shot weddings there (no never lived there just shot there), there are tons of camera stores...(forget the mall stores and ritzes and such) who they recommend....most any reputable processor will have samples of their work hanging on their walls( the one I use has samples of their best pro clients unfortunately I am not up to that calibre yet)......In my case wichita has 3 processors right now (pro labs)....1 is really new and prints useing old tech ink jet (by old tech...not upto the 6 or 8 color heads yet)....of the other two, one has prints hanging but they are old and faded and the one I use is also used by a well known aviation photographer for ALL of his printing jobs.......not so sure they don't print most of his books that are then bound by someone else........

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    jfriend wrote:

Try MPix or Digital Arts Studio. I've used both.

Mpix can get them mounted on a fairly rigid board, but my experience is that it needs to be framed, too, because it tends to bow if it is large.

An order from DAS is coming on Monday for some images printed and mounted on foam core. I will let you know how they come out.
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    John,

What about Bay Photo Lab? They're on your coast.
    http://www.bayphoto.com/bayweb/pro_finishingservices.htm

I've never used them, but have heard the name mentioned quite often. Iv'e never seen anything negative about them.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    jfriend wrote:

Here is an idea. Google photo labs, and custom frame shops in San Francisco.

Another idea is call Calumet in SF, and ask if they know of anyone who does this. Try calling Walter Adams gallery, and see they can do this or know of someone who can.

Buy gator board, get photos printed, and come down to San Jose, and we can do it on my vacuum press.

Sam