Model Airplanes

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited March 23, 2007 in Holy Macro
One of my coworkers asked me to photograph some of the model aircraft he has built. The amount of detail in these things is amazing!

Please feel free to C&C the photos.

137900277-L.jpg

137900315-L.jpg

137900343-L.jpg

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Well donethumb.gifthumb.....I presume these were shot in a light tent of some sort?

I personally think I would ahve prefered a light blue to med ium blue for background....I have just never been a fan of stark white backgrounds....just me tho..........

maybe just a touch more DOF in the full lenght shots...there again ...just me
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Well donethumb.gifthumb.....
    Thank you!
    Art Scott wrote:
    I presume these were shot in a light tent of some sort?
    yep... EZ Cube
    Art Scott wrote:
    I personally think I would ahve prefered a light blue to med ium blue for background....I have just never been a fan of stark white backgrounds....just me tho..........
    I wonder if I can get an EZ Cube in light blue??? lol3.gif

I agree the stark white isn't the best, but it's what we went with for these shots. I'll keep my eye out for some alternatives for next time.
    Art Scott wrote:
    maybe just a touch more DOF in the full lenght shots...there again ...just me
    That's might be tough. These were all shot at f/32 with a 60mm Micro Nikkor. Any ideas what I might try for more DOF???
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    cletus wrote:
    Thank you!

yep... EZ Cube

I wonder if I can get an EZ Cube in light blue??? lol3.gif

Is there any way to add a piece of light blue material inside of the cube? If not I am sure you could rigg a way to do it

That's might be tough. These were all shot at f/32 with a 60mm Micro Nikkor. Any ideas what I might try for more DOF???

Try shooting with a longer lens next time.....

Replies above in colored fonts............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Replies above in colored fonts............

Thanks!

I'll try the 105mm next time thumb.gif
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    cletus wrote:
    One of my coworkers asked me to photograph some of the model aircraft he has built. The amount of detail in these things is amazing!

Please feel free to C&C the photos.

Hi Cletus, my cousin builds planes, only they are not small, his are remote controlled after they're complete.

Those models look really great, a good paint job makes all the difference with these models too, I like that second one thumb.gif

Nice work Cletus ........ Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    I think they're very cool, Cletus.

I can see the reason for preferring blue over white, makes sense.

I'd love to play with aggressive angles, coming in low or from odd angles, something less standard, less expected, more real, makes them feel less like models.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Nice shots Cletus!

I recently did a photo shoot for an article a fellow club member wrote for the IPMS/USA journal. The shots are here:
    http://moose135.smugmug.com/gallery/2516998

I was shooting with a 30D, and since this was my first try at something like this, I used a variety of lenses, most of the shots were with a Canon 28-200mm, and a few were with the 70-200L 2.8. I used a light blue poster board as a backdrop, taped to the wall and curving down under the model.

Next weekend, I'll be shooting our annual model show, that should be fun!