LPS #2 entry

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited March 24, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
So, I may be doing this backwards, but I wanted to go ahead and enter SOMETHING this time...so I entered a photo to reserve my entry spot (so to speak). That way, if I don't get to shoot something different or better, at least I've made an attempt and entered, right?

Would this be better with a bit more DOF? How's the contrast? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Elaine

Humble Weed

137885523-L.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Maybe it's just too plain boring?! eek7.gif

Oh well...still time to try again.
    Elaine

• FrenchyFrenchy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2007
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Elaine,
    First of all, it's a nice shot. thumb.gif

However, you're facing a rather fierce competition. It needs to be humble in more ways than just a title.

The weed fills the frame, looks rather large, hence no "humble" feeling. And you probably agree, it's definitely far from "stately".

I don't think the idea is a dead end. Including the larger part of the otherwise weed-free lawn (and therefore making the weed itself smaller) may help to create a feeling of loneliness and humbleness.

Give it a few tries.
    Think the weed.
    Become the weed.
    Now, do you feel humble?
    If you do - show it to us!

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Elaine.....
    This is one of those shots that there is no way to predict whether or not it grabs the judges attention or not IMHO. I think it is kind of cool but if I were judging, it wouldn't be a contender...but that's simply me. It gets a little tough when you think there's something there and other's don't. What is really the headache is when you don't see anything spectacular and everyone else raves about it.

I'd keep this one up on the entry thread as you still have time to shoot some more. Who knows, you may end up with one that blows your socks off. Personally, I think if you submit an entry that you really like, that is much better than something that doesn't grab you, despite what others say. I've made that mistake time and again.

This shot is nice but it doesn't say "humble" to me. Just want to be up front and wish you the best.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited March 22, 2007
    Hey, thanks guys! I truly appreciate the feedback. I completely understand the points made. I'll keep thinking...:D Hopefully, we'll have some more sun breaks in the next few days.

Elaine
    Elaine

• fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Hey, thanks guys! I truly appreciate the feedback. I completely understand the points made. I'll keep thinking...:D Hopefully, we'll have some more sun breaks in the next few days.

Elaine

Maybe it's just a Northwest thing, but to me, nothing says humble in nature more than a dandylion! I got it and loved it immediately. I love the idea and the shot and Humble Weed made me think of Tumble Weed which has nothing to do with anything, but made me smile.:D Good luck!
    edited March 24, 2007
    Maybe it's just a Northwest thing, but to me, nothing says humble in nature more than a dandylion! I got it and loved it immediately. I love the idea and the shot and Humble Weed made me think of Tumble Weed which has nothing to do with anything, but made me smile.:D Good luck!

Hey! You got it...the Tumble Weed reference, that is! I thought it was a fun play on words, too. Thanks for your kind words. :D

Elaine
    Elaine