Options

Another Baby Shot

djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
edited March 24, 2007 in People
Photos with people have always been difficult for me to take. My daughter has been coaching and pushing me to practice on her daughter. Here is the photo that celebrates her first birthday.

C&C please

137831629-L.jpg

Taken with an Olympus E500 using a 40-150 lens and a FL-50 flash bounced off the ceiling.
http://www.djames-photography.com
In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.

Comments

• Options
    frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    lovely shotclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    djames wrote:
    Photos with people have always been difficult for me to take. My daughter has been coaching and pushing me to practice on her daughter. Here is the photo that celebrates her first birthday.

C&C please

Taken with an Olympus E500 using a 40-150 lens and a FL-50 flash bounced off the ceiling.

She's a little Doll iloveyou.gif and what a beautiful dress she has on too :D
    Looks like she is having a great time, laughing away there.
    Nicely captured ......... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    djames wrote:

This is a really cute shot, great colors and you've captured a wonderful expression. I like that she's not directly engaging the camera, but is caught up in her own delight.

The problem with bouncing from the ceiling above is that it darkens the eye sockets, and can't provide a catchlight.

Try off-camera flash, or if the wall's colors are neutral (and/or if you can manage the color cast in PP), tilt the flash head to bounce BEHIND you, so it falls more naturally onto the subject's face.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    This is a really cute shot, great colors and you've captured a wonderful expression. I like that she's not directly engaging the camera, but is caught up in her own delight.

The problem with bouncing from the ceiling above is that it darkens the eye sockets, and can't provide a catchlight.

Try off-camera flash, or if the wall's colors are neutral (and/or if you can manage the color cast in PP), tilt the flash head to bounce BEHIND you, so it falls more naturally onto the subject's face.

Thank you for the critique and suggestions. I really had never given a thought to bouncing behind me. Did think about a reflector, but active grandaughter would not sit still that long to set up.
    http://www.djames-photography.com
    In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
    Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.
  • Options
    Scotty_RScotty_R Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    FABULOUS! This does everything a photograph should do--captures the moment, it's filled with emotion and it makes the viewer smile. Most excellent. Happy Birthday to a lovely little girl that will provide grandma and grandpa with years of joy.
    Scotty