Stuck On A Challenge Idea?????

saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
edited March 23, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Having trouble with ideas for 'stately' or 'humble'??? Go here and check out this visual thesaurus. Pretty cool! Be sure to 'click' on the different visual aides and see them expand into more words and maybe some ideas for a possible entry. :deal

Comments

• JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    thanks for the cool link, I looked these up in the dictionary but never thought of a thesaurus :D
    Jill
    Jill
  • ericgtrericgtr Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    I really want to get in on this one myslef and have a few concepts in mind but overall, I am having a hard time with it. Not sure whether or not to check out links because I am not sure how it will alter my thoughts on it, probably couldn't hurt though. :D
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Not quite what I was expecting, but that is a super-cool tool! clap.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Or you can do what I do when I wanna get ideas... get in the car and just drive... of course it helps to have a nav system to get back home =c)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    ericgtr wrote:
    I really want to get in on this one myslef and have a few concepts in mind but overall, I am having a hard time with it. Not sure whether or not to check out links because I am not sure how it will alter my thoughts on it, probably couldn't hurt though. :D

I just like the way the words are displayed....I thought it might help spur an idea if just the right word was in front of me! :D
    edited March 23, 2007
    Or you can do what I do when I wanna get ideas... get in the car and just drive... of course it helps to have a nav system to get back home =c)

Lol...yeah, especially if you've been daydreaming all the way!!! rolleyes1.gif
  • DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    My problem hasn't been coming up with the idea... I had that in my mind the first day... it's getting out to execute. Between the weather and my work schedule, things are not "falling into place" - Laughing.gif

Hoping this weekend will prove more fruitful.

For me, it comes down to what the theme means to YOU... not going out and trying to force a subject to fit. Think of the words and what they conjur up when you hear them. If you were going to describe something as stately or humble, what would you be describing?
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

edited March 23, 2007
    DRabbit wrote:
    My problem hasn't been coming up with the idea... I had that in my mind the first day... it's getting out to execute. Between the weather and my work schedule, things are not "falling into place" - Laughing.gif

Hoping this weekend will prove more fruitful.

For me, it comes down to what the theme means to YOU... not going out and trying to force a subject to fit. Think of the words and what they conjur up when you hear them. If you were going to describe something as stately or humble, what would you be describing?

I agree with you and I certainly can relate to not being able to execute your idea. That happened to me for the first challenge. I had an idea immediately, but it required conditions I was unable to work out....I got so 'stuck' on my original idea, it was hard to free my mind to move on to something more obtainable. I had brain freeze so to speak. lol3.gif Unfortunately for me, my mind goes to the very obvious .... thinking creatively comes hard for me. I'm trying to discover some new ways to bounce around ideas. It's one reason I enjoy the Photo Association thread. It's fun to see how images change so drastically in a matter of a few posts and yet still retain a common tie.
    :saurora
  • DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    I agree with you and I certainly can relate to not being able to execute your idea. That happened to me for the first challenge. I had an idea immediately, but it required conditions I was unable to work out....I got so 'stuck' on my original idea, it was hard to free my mind to move on to something more obtainable. I had brain freeze so to speak. lol3.gif Unfortunately for me, my mind goes to the very obvious .... thinking creatively comes hard for me. I'm trying to discover some new ways to bounce around ideas. It's one reason I enjoy the Photo Association thread. It's fun to see how images change so drastically in a matter of a few posts and yet still retain a common tie. :saurora

The "very obvious" isn't always a bad thing... you can try shooting it a little different, of with unusual colors or effects. Or just shoot it in the very obvious way but try to shoot it perfect. Even something that seems cliche can still be beautiful.

A good way to try to get the creative juices flowing is to do free associative writing. Write the theme down and go from there... what's the first thought and where does it lead. It's similar to the Photo Association thread, but you can do it yourself too. I keep a small notebook on me at all times just for that reason (I'm also required to be "creative on demand" for my job).

And just go out and shoot. The driving around idea is a great one, and it's one I did for the first round. I knew I was going to go for chilly and just drove and drove and found multiple interesting subjects. I had a harder time picking which one to submit!
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5