First try at #2-Humble Pie

JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
edited March 28, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
137941297-M.jpgUsing myself as a model was REALLY HARD. Wondering if I added too much noise? any c&c appreciated.
137941297-M.jpg

Jill
Jill

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    I gotta be honest with you, your pose certainly says humble to me, and then the pie just kills itne_nau.gif. I think, you can do much better if you have something else in your hands ( don't know what, that's up to you :D)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    your pose certainly says humble to me,

15524779-Ti.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    I like the idea, and the pose is good, but I agree, holding the pie pan kills it for me. I get what you were trying to say, it's just the execution is a bit off.

Going from your idea, the way I sort of envision it, the pie pan might be next to the model (you) with some loose change it in. I'd love to see it grittier, with a darker environment (abandoned-type location?). Something that seems less contrived and more real.

Hope that didn't come across too harsh!
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

• JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    I gotta be honest with you, your pose certainly says humble to me, and then the pie just kills itne_nau.gif. I think, you can do much better if you have something else in your hands ( don't know what, that's up to you :D)

Yes, you are right, I've tried an egg, an egg in a little nest, and soap.
    Maybe I'll figure out something else.

Thanks for the reply :D
    Jill
    edited March 23, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Thanks for your imput :D
    Jill
    edited March 23, 2007
    DRabbit wrote:
    I like the idea, and the pose is good, but I agree, holding the pie pan kills it for me. I get what you were trying to say, it's just the execution is a bit off.

Going from your idea, the way I sort of envision it, the pie pan might be next to the model (you) with some loose change it in. I'd love to see it grittier, with a darker environment (abandoned-type location?). Something that seems less contrived and more real.

Hope that didn't come across too harsh!
    No you are not at all too harsh. I thank you for your input. Outside is a good idea although I can't think of where.
    jill
    Jill
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    JillG wrote:
    No you are not at all too harsh. I thank you for your input. Outside is a good idea although I can't think of where.
    jill

Take a friend and drive around, you'll be able to find an abandoned building soon enough. Do this at your own risk however because it might be tresspassing.

Or as a safer alternative any shopping center in the back that has a wall you like... I prefer brick, or with cracked paint over plain white, but whatever floats your boat.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Or as a safer alternative any shopping center in the back that has a wall you like... I prefer brick, or with cracked paint over plain white, but whatever floats your boat.

They also usually keep large trash bins/boxes there in case you'd like to to spice things up...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    I agree with the others! Great pose, keep going with the exection...

I also think the processing might be off, too. It's a bit too bland. I thinkif you have the right background (LOVE the idea of a Dumpster! Laughing.gif!), definitely keep the grittiness and brighten it a bit. Just darken your darks to keep that "dark". Going dark doesn't mean keeping hte entire photo dark. You need to make sure you have a lot of contrast - and some bright areas. Make sense?

Also, try to keep your whole body in the shot - thta might be more pleasing, too.

Good luck! Doing photos of youself is hard, but it's worth the extra time to get good ones!! :D
    edited March 25, 2007
    138451826-M.jpgThanks PYRO, NIKOLAI, PHOTOG, I only made it as far as the backyard and came up with this. I added a glow to add to the fantasy of hoping.

Jill
    Jill
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Jill,
    JillG wrote:
    Thanks PYRO, NIKOLAI, PHOTOG, I only made it as far as the backyard and came up with this. I added a glow to add to the fantasy of hoping.

Jill

I think this one is much better. thumb.gif
    Glow is a nice touch, however the image now says more "hope" and "fantasy" and less "humble"...ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Photo GuyPhoto Guy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    I would suggest doing the shot outdoors in an actual street setting. Also try the camera angle more at head level or lower.

Nice shot!!
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    Of the two, I like the second best.... But I agree that if you could redo in the street or a grittier location, that might be good.

I'm also wondering if without the glow this might be less "fantasy-ish"....
    edited March 28, 2007
    Thanks Nik and Photog, I lessened the glow a bit on my entry.
    Photo Guy, I appreciate your imput but I don't have time to do a reshoot.
    Jill
    Jill