Category description possible?

GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
edited March 25, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I've searched Dgrin and SmugMug help and FAQ. I think I know the answer to this question, but I can't seem to find a definitive yes or no.

Is it possible to attach a description to a Category? So that on the home page the viewer has a better understanding of what types of galleries are within the Category?

I suppose I could make my Category titles longer and more descriptive, but I like how the Galleries have a title and a description. It seems like Categories (and Sub-categories for that matter) would benefit from descriptions too.

PS - I only have a standard account.
SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    I've searched Dgrin and SmugMug help and FAQ. I think I know the answer to this question, but I can't seem to find a definitive yes or no.

Is it possible to attach a description to a Category? So that on the home page the viewer has a better understanding of what types of galleries are within the Category?

I suppose I could make my Category titles longer and more descriptive, but I like how the Galleries have a title and a description. It seems like Categories (and Sub-categories for that matter) would benefit from descriptions too.

PS - I only have a standard account.
    Hello wave.gif

It is possible to attach a description to a category but, unfortunately, not with a Standard Account, I'm sorry. You would need a Power User or Pro account.

Let us know if you have any questions.
  • GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Thanks for your extraordinary prompt response. Customer support is the main reason I love SmugMug/Dgrin.

Would a Power User account allow me to show my galleries in two columns?

SmugMug is the "Pusher Man". :D (A Steppenwolf musical reference, for those not old enough to catch it). Hook me with the basics, get me addicted, then lure me into the advanced stuff.

How do I find out when my annual subscription is due, so I know when to consider upgrading? Oh wait. Let me guess. I bet you'd take my money early, wouldn't you? mwink.gif
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Thanks for your extraordinary prompt response. Customer support is the main reason I love SmugMug/Dgrin.

Would a Power User account allow me to show my galleries in two columns?

SmugMug is the "Pusher Man". :D (A Steppenwolf musical reference, for those not old enough to catch it). Hook me with the basics, get me addicted, then lure me into the advanced stuff.

How do I find out when my annual subscription is due, so I know when to consider upgrading? Oh wait. Let me guess. I bet you'd take my money early, wouldn't you? mwink.gif
    What's your Smug site?

No, you can upgrade now, we only prorate the difference, we're not evil!!!!!!!!!
    edited March 23, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    No, you can upgrade now, we only prorate the difference, we're not evil!!!!!!!!!
    Heh, heh. OK. You're not completely evil. To quote Dr. Evil from Austin Powers, "You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're the margarine of evil. You're the Diet Coke of evil. Just one calorie, not evil enough."
    :D

How much is the difference in price again, between a Standard and Power User account?

Here is a link to my Smugmug site. I'm specifically interested in putting a description on my "Art Gallery" category, and displaying the galleries within in two columns.
    edited March 23, 2007
    OK Andy. You hooked me and reeled me in.

I've just upgraded from Standard to Power. Now what?

All kidding aside, can you (or anyone) direct me to the place where I can best learn to use my new-found powers?

Rather than simply search willy-nilly that is. I assume that a lot of the very advanced hints and tips are for Professional accounts.
  • richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    OK Andy. You hooked me and reeled me in.

I've just upgraded from Standard to Power. Now what?

All kidding aside, can you (or anyone) direct me to the place where I can best learn to use my new-found powers?

Rather than simply search willy-nilly that is. I assume that a lot of the very advanced hints and tips are for Professional accounts.
    Here are four good links to get you going.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=26043
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/Customization
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2160039
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=492202&postcount=1

Yell if you need any help.....
    edited March 25, 2007
    richW wrote:
    Thanks richW. I really appreciate the help. I have to confess that it all looks pretty intimidating.

I should thank Andy too. I broke a rule I didn't know about and sent him a PM, but he supplied a few links in spite of my faux pas.