Options

LPS#2: Testing, 123...

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited March 23, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I think the dual theme thing is growing on me...a chance to go in two different directions in parallel. Challenges like this certainly do motivate you to grab shots you would normally ignore. Fun stuff.

Here are two possible takes on one subject for the challenge...feel free to critique the theme relevance, composition, subject, processing....

No titles yet as I don't want to color (haha) anyone's interpretation of them.

138070117-L.jpg

138070171-L.jpg
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    My take....
    If the shack were in tact...possibly. Right now it looks like it's falling down and a catastrophy versus anything remotely humble. I certainly am not seeing stately here. If this place were occupied (as in people using it to live in) and evidence of such it could work. As is it looks like an old abandoned shack that's fallen apart....say's deserted not humble. Just MHO ne_nau.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    It can be humble I think, in terms of " Low in rank, quality, or station; unpretentious or lowly", and both the photos are nice, but they lack "pop" a little I think ne_nau.gif.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    It can be humble I think, in terms of " Low in rank, quality, or station; unpretentious or lowly", and both the photos are nice, but they lack "pop" a little I think ne_nau.gif.

In my mind I was thinking "humbled by time" or weather...maybe that's not coming across. If it was titled that, maybe it would, but probably shouldn't have to title an entry if it really fits the theme.

I did not set the black and white point, good observation. These were quick edits in lightroom...no photoshop yet.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    In my mind I was thinking "humbled by time" or weather...maybe that's not coming across. If it was titled that, maybe it would, but probably shouldn't have to title an entry if it really fits the theme.

I did not set the black and white point, good observation. These were quick edits in lightroom...no photoshop yet.

You can set the black and white points in Lightroom--that is the way I usually do it. The Exposure slider sets the white point and the Blacks slider sets the black points. Hold down the Alt key while dragging the slider and you can see what parts of the image you are blowing out by adjusting the points. I actually find Lighroom to be a better tool for setting white and black points than Photoshop.

As for giving the shot some pop here is somthing I would try. Start with your first shot where you have some interesting detail in the sky. Notice that there is a halo of bright nearly neutral sky around your shack; the rest of the sky is bluer and darker. Drop the luminace of your blues and push the brights up to exaggerate that contrast. You'll need to fiddle a bit with the tone curve so that you pop the contrast in the sky. If you want to do a B&W conversion, go for the orange or red filter to drop the bluer parts of the sky as dark as you can get them.