Does anyone know a good camera shop in Montreal?

IcemanUKIcemanUK Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited April 11, 2007 in Cameras
Hi all,

I wasn't expecting something like this for a first post, but oh well.

First to the point. I have a mate who will be in Montreal (Canada) next week and I want her to pick up a EF 70-200 IS L lens as lenses in Canada are considerably cheaper than in the UK.

Any retailer suggestions?

now a bit of background...

A few weeks ago my flat in London was broken into and all of my camera equipment was stolen (IXUS 700, 30D, EFS 17-55 IS, EF 70-200 IS L, 580EX speedlight, etc.). Made me quite angry, but at least I was insured.

Now, as I'm seriously considering upgrading my body to the new Mark III,
I am holding off on some of the re-purchasing but regardless of which body I go for I'll want another 70-200 lens. The sad thing about my old lens was that I got it as a Christmas present last December and I only got to use it for a couple of shoots.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Comments

• DifferentSeedDifferentSeed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    I think there's still a great pawn shop in downtown Montreal called "YORK". It's on St. the south side of Catherine's street between Atwater and the Guy-Concordia metro stations. You can't miss it, and if you do anyone could tell you where it's at. They have A LOT of inventory from old to new and great prices.

Astral Photo is like Ritz here in the USA. Sometimes you'll hit on something, but it's a chain that used to strive on developing services and can be found in most malls.

One should be VERY careful buying anything electronic or high-priced on St. Laurent Street. The area north of Maisoneuve is loaded with discount electronics and other stores and frequented on Saturdays and Sundays by locals and tourists for great deals, but you may very likely be buying gray market merchandise.

As an aside, the food in Montreal is outstanding and something I really miss, if you want to try local food the "poutine" from "Belle Province" is the best in the city and Schwartz's makes the best smoked meat (on St. Laurent). Moishes has the best steaks anywhere (also on St. Laurent), Amir has excellent Lebanese (St. Catherine & University), Lafleurs (all over) the best french fries... I could go on... you can definately eat well in Montreal :D
    Make a small loan, Make a big difference. Find out how at http://www.kiva.org
  • wolfywolfy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2007
    Yes, of course!

There are three photo shops worth visiting in Montreal (great city, by the way), but the best one in terms of pricing and service is L. L. Lozeau on St-Hubert street (it's between Bellechasse and Beaubien - if memory serves). There's a couple of metro (subway) stations nearby. They don't price their stock online, however, their store carries many products for film and digital photography you'd expect in a major photo store. They may even order products not found in their stock and obtain them for you usually within a couple of days of a request.

The other stores are York Photo (on that main street ... Sainte-Catherine street) and the other is Simon's Camera on .... well it's just on the outskirts of Old Montreal. The choice of products in either one is somewhat limited compared to Lozeau and products slightly more expensive - worth a visit nonetheless.

Hope that helps!
  • IcemanUKIcemanUK Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Thank you both for the suggestions!