Options

Photogift mark-up

brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
edited March 24, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I don't usually offer to many of the photo gift items that SM has, but I'm doing a Rubgy team, group and individuals, and thought I make a few extra bucks doing so. Any thoughts on pricing? Percent mark-up?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Hey Anthony !
    I had success with doing this for a youth soccer league.
    I did NOT mark up the pictures/gifts at first, made some 'ok' money
    BUT more importantly, the coaches for the league as well as two different leagues want me to come back and do more pictures this spring. The families loved the pictures and the 'theme' I put together for the league.
    Yea, I will probably mark up the pictures a few more %, but I dont think I will get any complaints.
    Understand one thing -the area I am in the parents are use to a 'team picture day' from other photographers with forms/packages to fill out. The parents would have to pre-order pictures without seeing them on-line. A LOT of complaints!!!

My process (and successful):
    - no team picture day
    - show up at a practice ; pre-determined by the 'team parent' and communicated by the 'team parent'
    - take portraits and provide information to the parents, coaches, 'team parent' on how to view and order pictures. NO forms - family members go
    to the site, view, click and order (printed via EZprints and NO complaints on quality)
    - the 'team parent' also sent out an e-mail when the pictures where completed as a friendly reminder
    - no obligation to order or payment from the league up-front (pro and con on that one)
    - yea, a new process for the families, but they did like it!

http://www.jrphotosandwebdesign.com/carpathiakickers

- jr
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    jerryr wrote:
    I did NOT mark up the pictures/gifts at first, made some 'ok' money.

How did you make your "ok" money if there was no mark up on the pictures/gifts? ne_nau.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Opps - sorry Jeff - I marked them up a little - like $1 for 4x6 - so basically, not that much
    sorry - mis-spoke (mis-typed)
    -jr
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    jerryr wrote:
    Opps - sorry Jeff - I marked them up a little - like $1 for 4x6 - so basically, not that much
    sorry - mis-spoke (mis-typed)
    -jr
    I like my plan better, at this point. I shoot a team pic day (coaches choice). I offer 1 basic package for pre-sale. $15.00 to them.. I post a gallery of pics so parents can order other pics and gift items. I walk away from pic day with approx $700 (after printing cost).
    I'm looking to expand to the "gifts" stuff for this year. So I'm trying to figure out an acceptable profit margin...
    Thanks for the replys...