dirty hands, kind hands-

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited March 24, 2007 in People
138146486-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Scotty_RScotty_R Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    This is a beautiful photograph George. The hands tell a story, the lighting is very nice, depth of field grabs and holds the viewer's eye and the conversion is well done. Some might say it's a bit soft, but I like the softness of the image. In my opinion it adds to the image by accentuating the age of those hands and what they've been through during their life. Well done.
    Scotty
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,901 moderator
    edited March 24, 2007
    George,

You're on a roll.

Great composition! I love how the fingers of the lower hand bring us back into the frame, while telling a little story about fidgiting with the sleeve.

The different textures and high-contrast seperate the elements of the image, while the similar shades of gray lend continuity overall, except where the upper hand contrasts against the dark background and the rings of brightness in the sleeves add both seperation and interest.

The contrast and "grit" compliment the powerful hands, and yet the hands are doing something so delicate, itself a contrast. (My grandfather on my father's side was a 6' 3" Danish person with similar powerful hands.)

Just a really excellent image and simple touching visual story.

Thanks,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    George, you are developing quite a good eye for subject-matter! I really love the composition and the story that I am seeing here. The softness of the shot I can't quite decide on. I keep wanting to see more detail in this old pair of hands, but then maybe that would detract from the fidgiting with his cuffs. It hit me after viewing this a couple of times what was so familiar to me....my grandfather (who passed away amost 30 years ago) used to wear similar shirts and he would sit in his favorite rocker while we visited and fidgit with his shirt cuffs just like this. I never questioned why he did this....perhaps just a nervous habit. Now that I am actually thinking about it, I think he probably did it because my Grandma wouldn't alllow him to smoke in the house (she was ahead of her time!)....he had to go out back to the garage to light up those old Lucky Strikes. So he probably was just needing some nicotine! Thanks for the memories! :saurora
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    I really like this photo. It has a real emotional draw.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 24, 2007
    scotty, zig, susan, david-

thank you very much-