Options

first HDR

waynedsargentwaynedsargent Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited March 30, 2007 in Landscapes
I am just trying this tech. For a first try its okay but I think I needed more exposures (only 3). Any advice?? 30d,tam28-75,tripod
138201619-L.jpg

btw the sunrise wasn't very colorful to begin with.

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    I am just trying this tech. For a first try its okay but I think I needed more exposures (only 3). Any advice?? 30d,tam28-75,tripod
    btw the sunrise wasn't very colorful to begin with.

I'm trying to figure out HDR myself :D
    To be honest that image is probably not a good one to try it on.... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    I'm trying to figure out HDR myself :D
    To be honest that image is probably not a good one to try it on.... Skippy

I humbly disagree :D. Shots like this cry out for more dynamic range, although with such extremes in shots like this one, it might be a tough subject to keep looking realistic for a first time HDR (which always seems to be my biggest hurdle to overcome). I'd try for a slightly darker sky (even if only at the top of the image) as it would be more dramatic, and the rocks at the ground definitely need an exposure to brighten them up to par. Good start, though. Keep plugging along! thumb.gif
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Options
    cocasanacocasana Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Which software? PS? Photomatix?
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    shoot more exposures, and make sure to get at least one shot thats way over exposed, and one thats way under exposed. You will be able to capture more shadow detail...

ex
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=57232

IMG_1679s.JPG

IMG_1691s.JPG

SF4.jpg

likely overkill... but this was 17 exposures...
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    could have been better
    I dont think I had enough color in the sunrise to get this to be as good as it could have been. I used cs2 to process 3 frames (I think I will take more next time).
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    You can always adjust colors and bump up the blues and yellows to get the desired sky effect.
  • Options
    ericgtrericgtr Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    In my experience, you can't get enough shots, of course it requires that much more patience in PP but can be way worth it. There are lots of great tutorials out there but what I will usually do is get my "normal" fstop, shoot three in AEB (unless it's night which I go to manual) then bump it up or down a stop and shoot three more. You will usually end up with more than you need but it's better than too few. :D
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    which do you use
    for stopping down apeture or shutter?
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    Aperture Priority (or equivalent). I usually put the camera in Program mode just to get an fstop reading, then put it in Aperture Priority and use that reading as my base, remembering to be in manual focus. So say the typical reading is f/8, once you have your exposure bracketing set, you can snap 3, then change it to a higher or lower aperture (depending on light) and snap 3 more and so on.
  • Options
    RazRaz Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    "Each piece, or part, of the whole of nature is always merely an
    approximation to the complete truth..."

-- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

My Galleries
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    gradient tool works pretty nicely for smaller dyanmic range variations where you can edit the raw image 's expsure without excessive noise. You'll still need HDR merge to get the trees on the right exposed....

before:

IMG_9138.JPG

after:

philly_docks.jpg
  • Options
    slapshotslapshot Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    ericgtr wrote:
    Aperture Priority (or equivalent). I usually put the camera in Program mode just to get an fstop reading, then put it in Aperture Priority and use that reading as my base, remembering to be in manual focus. So say the typical reading is f/8, once you have your exposure bracketing set, you can snap 3, then change it to a higher or lower aperture (depending on light) and snap 3 more and so on.

From what I understand, you need to change your exposure via shutter speed, not aperture. If you change aperture, you change DOF. The DOF needs to be the same on every shot since you will be blending them. In other words, if you use the aperture to change exposure, you will be trying to blend photos with different areas of the scene in focus, resulting in a poor image.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    slapshot wrote:
    From what I understand, you need to change your exposure via shutter speed, not aperture. If you change aperture, you change DOF. The DOF needs to be the same on every shot since you will be blending them. In other words, if you use the aperture to change exposure, you will be trying to blend photos with different areas of the scene in focus, resulting in a poor image.

Correct you are, thanks. Here's another good resource for this http://hdr101.com/?page_id=4
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Here is attempt #2
    I like this one a lot better Done through photomatix, 3 exposure.
    139527734-L.jpg-
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2007
    bueller
    anyone C&C second try?