Two ideas for #2

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited March 26, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
First of all, I'm not super happy with these photos and I knew that I wouldn't be, but wanted to see if they might work if redone....

Comments? Please be brutal! If retaken, could these work?

138227689-L.jpg

138227677-L.jpg

(I know about the watermark.... :D )

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    I don't see much in #1, but #2 rocks! I love the side-by-side comparison of the 2 themes! Perfect to me! :saurora
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    I don't see much in #1, but #2 rocks! I love the side-by-side comparison of the 2 themes! Perfect to me! :saurora

Thanks so much! I'm thinking of redoing it with different lighting... I'm wondering if catching the sun setting on mountain would give it more strength....

Thanks again! :D
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    I especially like the second one...the colors are nice, the comp is great and the church looks quite humble to me. The juxtaposition of the church and the [stately] mountain is nice. I wonder if pulling back just a bit might provide more perspective on how small and humble the church is next to the mountain? The church is the prominent object in the picture...(now it sounds like I'm giving the same advice I was given on mine! :D ).

This issue of taking a photo of something humble and having it be the prominent figure or focus in the photo does bring up a conflict of sorts...how does it say humble if it is the focus of so much attention?? But, I think some things are just inately humble, and focusing in on them does not necessarily detract from their humbleness.

In some ways, I can see how your photo could be saying stately as well...the mountain and surroundings are stately and certainly don't call for a traditionally stately church - this one fits the environment. And the perfectly straight cross on the top and the crosses on the tightly buttoned up doors give an air of "country stately." The church may read as more humble if one of the doors was ajar and/or hanging crookedly or something.

OK...enough rambling from me. I like the pic! :D

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited March 24, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    I especially like the second one...the colors are nice, the comp is great and the church looks quite humble to me. The juxtaposition of the church and the [stately] mountain is nice. I wonder if pulling back just a bit might provide more perspective on how small and humble the church is next to the mountain? The church is the prominent object in the picture...(now it sounds like I'm giving the same advice I was given on mine! :D ).

This issue of taking a photo of something humble and having it be the prominent figure or focus in the photo does bring up a conflict of sorts...how does it say humble if it is the focus of so much attention?? But, I think some things are just inately humble, and focusing in on them does not necessarily detract from their humbleness.

In some ways, I can see how your photo could be saying stately as well...the mountain and surroundings are stately and certainly don't call for a traditionally stately church - this one fits the environment. And the perfectly straight cross on the top and the crosses on the tightly buttoned up doors give an air of "country stately." The church may read as more humble if one of the doors was ajar and/or hanging crookedly or something.

OK...enough rambling from me. I like the pic! :D

Elaine
    Thanks, Elaine! I didn't want to say all I was thinking about what I was shooting because I didn't want to lead anyone anywhere....

I thought of trying to get further away (I couldn't at that time because of my daughters melting down), but I kind of liked how the humble church took on a stately feel when given a similar "weight" as the mountain. Almost a dual view of the same thing.

I am going to try to retake this from further away using a telephoto, but I'm not sure I'll be able to with the lay of the land as it is. I could definitely get further, but because of how it slopes, it may be too low and the church won't be below the top of the mountain as I think it should be. But maybe I can stand on the beater land cruiser and take it? headscratch.gif

Anyway, my original thought was "We are all humble in the end" (hence the first photo), but I couldn't get far enough away to convey that feel. I also didn't have time to walk around and try a lot of shots... Then the small chapel struck me.

I'll go back and see what I can do when the weather isn't so grey - or the sky so bland.

Thanks a lot for your "ramblings"! They helped me a lot! It was nice to know that someone else was seeing it as I was intending. :D

Oh, and I doubt they'd appreciate me pulling the door partially off the hinges! Laughing.gif! This is still in use. ;) But I don't know if it'll open. Hmmm....
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    ...... I kind of liked how the humble church took on a stately feel when given a similar "weight" as the mountain. Almost a dual view of the same thing.

Well said....I really like that they are almost the same size in this shot....there is greatness in being humble. :D
    edited March 24, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Well said....I really like that they are almost the same size in this shot....there is greatness in being humble. :D

Thanks again! :D
    edited March 24, 2007
    I'm entering #2 with the intention of a reshoot.... :D I just don't want to run out of time and have nothing! Laughing.gif!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    I'm entering #2 with the intention of a reshoot.... :D I just don't want to run out of time and have nothing! Laughing.gif!

Good thinking! That's what I did too. No matter what, I think you got a keeper.

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited March 24, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Good thinking! That's what I did too. No matter what, I think you got a keeper.

Elaine

Laughing.gif! I can't tell you how many times I waited to post that "right" photo and then forgot... And the old photo would have been at least good and I got it in. 11doh.gifLaughing.gif!

Thanks for the kind words!! :D
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Just checking in
    I see you've got it entered....so by me saying, "Hey Andi, enter this one" isn't going to amount to a hill of beans! rolleyes1.gifNice shot.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited March 25, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    I see you've got it entered....so by me saying, "Hey Andi, enter this one" isn't going to amount to a hill of beans! rolleyes1.gifNice shot.

rolleyes1.gifD

Thanks!
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:

What he said.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Call me later chiming in, but I love #2.

It could be just me, but could it use a very very slight rotate counter clockwise? (VERY slight)
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5