Options

HDR - San Francisco at sunset

sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
edited September 22, 2007 in Landscapes
I was out in SF on business this past week... I didn't get any time to sight see or anything, but I did manage to snap a couple HDR stacks from my room on the 15th floor of the JW Marriot in San Francisco...

This is an HDR shot from 17 images...

SF4.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    I was out in SF on business this past week... I didn't get any time to sight see or anything, but I did manage to snap a couple HDR stacks from my room on the 15th floor of the JW Marriot in San Francisco...

This is an HDR shot from 17 images...

Wow interesting shot, the left hand side of the image is not right headscratch.gif
    kind of shimmery, fuzzy, not sure what the right word is.
    Good capture aside from the stacking not quite working for you.

Thanks for sharing....... love the sky ....... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    the left hand side is hazy because there was smog over the part of the city :D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    the left hand side is hazy because there was smog over the part of the city :D
    No, I think you've got some sharpening halos? Look closely - but cool shot!
  • Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    The left-side offsets look like tripod wobble to me, but that would be present over the whole shot. If it was smoggy like you say, then the smog would have changed the refractive index of the air and subtly changed the locations of various pixels, kind of like how a straw 'bends' when you put it in water.

Maybe it can get cleaned up by using a subset of your 15 images to get the same effect?

It's a cool shot nonetheless :)
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    Here's one exposure from the stack. Its a mix between smog and glare. There is definitly some halos caused by the sun, visible in that brick building too. I like that effect though...

sfs.JPG
  • Options
    LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    The lefthand side near the mountains looks like spill over from a blurred mask on the darker image(s) - it's also happening on some of the buildings. I'd try extracting the mountain range from a darker photo since it's what I'd expect my eye to pick up in a scene like that - I have a feeling it'd fix up the lefthand side just fine, plus make the buildings stand out a bit more. There's also some serious JPEG artifacting for a 372KB image (visible along the skyline and around most windows in the buildings) headscratch.gif I think it's got a lot of potential - I like cityscapes like that thumb.gif

PS: the halo in the middle of the brick building keeps grabbing my attention ne_nau.gif
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Options
    jcpjcp Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    I think it's a great shot. Personally, the haze on the left doesn't bother me much, although I might think of burning it a bit just to drop it out of attention so much. The sky is stunning. Excellent HDR.

I'd be interested to know how this would have worked out from just three shots stacked instead of 17. I normally do a three shot HDR. Is there such a great difference from adding so many more exposures?
  • Options
    fliptopheadfliptophead Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 21, 2007
    I like the shot a lot.

Haze is something you'll get with most San Francisco shots, late in the day.

Great photo.
  • Options
    exploradoraexploradora Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 22, 2007
    Ok, I'm a newbie!
    What's and HDR stack?
    Thanks
    :dgrin