Switched gears for #2

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited March 25, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have two others to execute but couldn't pass this up today. Whatcha thinkie?

Humble Poet

138370128-L.jpg
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:

Humble Poet

I like it Swartzy but have a few suggestions. Try cropping out the closest column on the left side - it's a bit distracting as cropped now. Also, did you desaturate the people walking away in the background? They look like they are in B/W to my eyes while the rest is in color. I assume they are in color but the photo feels like it had selective coloring done as it stands. On that note, have you tried the photo in B/W? Maybe a little grain added in? It needs a bit more drama to push the humbleness of the situation. Catching the poet's humble looking eyes would have definately clinched the shot but...
    Looking forward to seeing the other two and/or this one retooled.
    E
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    David,
    Swartzy wrote:
    Humble Poet

It's a nice idea (warning: something similar was already suggested), but the whole image (and the primary subject) looks too clean for its own content, IMHO. The cardboard is a nice touch, as is low-angle, but the whole thing looks like a setup for some reason, rather than like a real mccoy...ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Thanks E
    I did do selective color as not to attract the ey to the people walking. I've done a full B&W as well, then have one with selective color on his face and the cardboard/cup. I've cropped it as you've suggested and looks good that way too. Thanks for the feedback.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited March 24, 2007
    Thanks Nick
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's a nice idea (warning: something similar was already suggested), but the whole image (and the primary subject) looks too clean for its own content, IMHO. The cardboard is a nice touch, as is low-angle, but the whole thing looks like a setup for some reason, rather than like a real mccoy...ne_nau.gif

I was in town today walking all over the place getting shots and ideas for shots/different times of twighlight, etc. This guy was sitting near the parking garage when I came up to street level. I walked around for about an hour and he was still there.....no pennies in his cup either. So....I flipped on the 70-300, got sidewalk low and started shooting. Some landscape, some portrait. I liked this as he stuck his head out of the hood momentarily. Am working on a few other statelys up coming.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited March 24, 2007
    David,
    Swartzy wrote:
    I was in town today walking all over the place getting shots and ideas for shots/different times of twighlight, etc. This guy was sitting near the parking garage when I came up to street level. I walked around for about an hour and he was still there.....no pennies in his cup either. So....I flipped on the 70-300, got sidewalk low and started shooting. Some landscape, some portrait. I liked this as he stuck his head out of the hood momentarily. Am working on a few other statelys up coming.

Interesting story, thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
    edited March 24, 2007
    OK, here's a cropped, less selective color
    version. Also added a little noise for some bell ringing rolleyes1.gif

138379570-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:

Much Better!
    E
    edited March 24, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    Noise/grain is a great idea. Maybe more?
    And I know you already tried, but for some reason my mind wants it BW ne_nau.gif
    edited March 25, 2007
    Ask and you'll receive
    B&W..more grain. I'm used to having my shots vivid...so this is kind of like me on roller skates rolleyes1.gif

138385297-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited March 25, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    B&W..more grain. I'm used to having my shots vivid...so this is kind of like me on roller skates rolleyes1.gif
    David, please keep your own vision intact. I do advise from the heart, but it's gonna be your picture and your vision in the end. deal.gif
    Having said that...
    I think this version is way more humble than the color one! thumb.gif
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Beautiful shot. I like the last B&W version. It makes me want to stuff a few bucks in his cup :D

Jill
    Jill