Options

*SOLD*: Canon 17-40/f4L USM Lens

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited February 4, 2005 in Flea Market
Canon Zoom Super Wide Angle EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Autofocus Lens
Includes caps, hood, box, soft case.

ef17-40_4lu_586x225.jpg

From canon.com:

A new and affordable L-series ultra-wide-angle zoom lens that's ideal for both film and digital SLRs. Superior optics are assured by the use of three Aspherical lens elements, in addition to a Super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass element. Optical coatings are optimized for use with digital cameras. This lens focuses as close as 11 inches (0.28m), and offers both Canon's full-time manual focus and a powerful ring-type USM for fast and silent AF. It has a constant f/4 maximum aperture, and offers the choice of screw-in 77mm filters or a holder in the rear of the lens for up to three gel filters. Finally, it offers weather-resistant construction similar to other high-end L-series lenses.bhphoto.com price (after rebate): $655 USD

Your price (no rebate required): $550 USD, shipping to US locations included.

Fred Miranda reviews here.

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    uhm... 'gus ??

helooo humungus?

lynnie, too.

lynnie?
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    Hmmmm, I was about to buy one for $529, but that did not include shipping and insurance, and it is from someone I don't know. I'll bow to anyone else who may want it, but I'm interested.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2005
    fish,

inquiring minds want to know whats the condition of the lens, how old, etc... thanks
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    andy wrote:
    uhm... 'gus ??

helooo humungus?

lynnie, too.

lynnie?
    Sorry mate...i wont buy anything until i know whether im going to run with the crowd or skulk over into darkside.
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Sorry mate...i wont buy anything until i know whether im going to run with the crowd or skulk over into darkside.
    Are you the only one who doesn't know rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2005
    This is a great price for this lens.I bought one used last month and paid $600.00deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    andy wrote:
    fish,

inquiring minds want to know whats the condition of the lens, how old, etc... thanks
    Oh..right. Sorry, I missed this.

The lens is about one year old and in excellent condition. Probably only shot 200-300 frames with it. Upon request by PM, I went looking for the docs and could not find them, so it will be sold without manual and warranty card.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Oh..right. Sorry, I missed this.

The lens is about one year old and in excellent condition. Probably only shot 200-300 frames with it. Upon request by PM, I went looking for the docs and could not find them, so it will be sold without manual and warranty card.

this'd be a great lens for troy (windoze) or humungus too. good price, joe!
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    andy wrote:
    this'd be a great lens for troy (windoze) or humungus too. good price, joe!
    but.......but......but they dont make 'that' adaptor ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    i have half the money saved so far... ( i've been stealing my kids lunch money ). I hope its still available - maybe ill get lucky this weekened in las vegas ( which i had the lens for this trip )..... I wonder if he does "layaway"????
    But yeah (Andy )!!! I do want it!!! Anybody got $300 laying around???

fish wrote:
    Includes caps, hood, box, docs.

ef17-40_4lu_586x225.jpg

From canon.com:

A new and affordable L-series ultra-wide-angle zoom lens that's ideal for both film and digital SLRs. Superior optics are assured by the use of three Aspherical lens elements, in addition to a Super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass element. Optical coatings are optimized for use with digital cameras. This lens focuses as close as 11 inches (0.28m), and offers both Canon's full-time manual focus and a powerful ring-type USM for fast and silent AF. It has a constant f/4 maximum aperture, and offers the choice of screw-in 77mm filters or a holder in the rear of the lens for up to three gel filters. Finally, it offers weather-resistant construction similar to other high-end L-series lenses.bhphoto.com price (after rebate): $655 USD

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 1, 2005
    did i miss this in another thread... fish, why you sellin'? you find yourself wanting the f/2.8 16-35?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    From the reviews I see, the 17-35 is better on the short end than the 16-35, and since I have a 24-70 I don't really need the long end.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    Windoze, it's still for sale. Good luck in vegas.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    did i miss this in another thread... fish, why you sellin'? you find yourself wanting the f/2.8 16-35?
    I'm selling it to get something a bit wider and a bit faster. Plus I don't need the 24-40 part of it (got a 24-70/2.8L).
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    fish wrote:

I'm selling it to get something a bit wider and a bit faster. Plus I don't need the 24-40 part of it (got a 24-70/2.8L).
    Fish, that lens is driving me nuts. I wish the FM reviews were a bit better. Seems about 50/50. I want a wide lens, too. A good one, but I don't want it hunting around for focus. I would like it wider, but this would do I am sure.

How slow are you finding it?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    fish wrote:

thought so. If I hadn't played with the 16-35 f/2.8, I'd have bought this from you. Good deal, for sure. Now that f/2.8 and the images on my computer haunt me! :D
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Fish, that lens is driving me nuts. I wish the FM reviews were a bit better. Seems about 50/50. I want a wide lens, too. A good one, but I don't want it hunting around for focus. I would like it wider, but this would do I am sure.

How slow are you finding it?

ginger

I read those reviews before I bought the lens. I haven't found any issues with the AF at all. In fact, it's pretty durn fast, since the elements don't really have to move very far. You want hunt? Use a 70-200/f4 in the shade rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    fish wrote:
    I read those reviews before I bought the lens. I haven't found any issues with the AF at all. In fact, it's pretty durn fast, since the elements don't really have to move very far. You want hunt? Use a 70-200/f4 in the shade rolleyes1.gif
    How does it shoot at 17 mm, seems that was brought up, too? Sorry for all these questions, but I really am interested.

ginger

I found a bird, going to see if my crummy 75-300 got anything, my new camera is fast on the draw.

Will report later on that.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    How does it shoot at 17 mm
    que? it shoots fine at 17. of course, you have to watch where your toes are so they don't get in the frame. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    if anyone has *any* doubts about this lens
    just visit mahesh thapa's galleries, most of his best landscapes are with this very lens.

'nuff said.

this is a steal folks. ginger, and anyone - stop reading reviews, and look at serious photographer's work with a lens!

fish, i expect the usual and customary commission deal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    *sold* clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    fish wrote:
    *sold* clap.gif

wtg on the buy and sell! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    i'm really glad someone bought this... i was about to go home and take pictures of my beloved mountain bike for ebay... desperation is a horrible thing :uhoh
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    wtg on the buy and sell! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    It's nice to keep it "in the family" :)
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    I would have bought it but I wanted to stay last in line, give others a chance at a good deal first. thumb.gif
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    DARN, I WAS SO CLOSE!!! i raised $425.00 well at least the kids can have their lunch money back -

troy

fish wrote:
    Includes caps, hood, box, soft case.

ef17-40_4lu_586x225.jpg

From canon.com:

• Options
    edited February 4, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    DARN, I WAS SO CLOSE!!! i raised $425.00 well at least the kids can have their lunch money back -

troy

sorry 'bout that, mang. but one of these days, a certain young lady is gonna start posting some wide stuff for us. 1drink.gif