Workflow

lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
edited March 30, 2007 in Finishing School
I've search for this topic with numerous results, but I still want to know how people like Andy, Shay, etc. handle workflow.

I realize everyone uses a variety of software but is that the key?

How close do you 'get it' shooting digitially before you go to the software? Or is everything you 'present' put through the software first?

Does it come down to just time?

I was reading the most current issue of rangefinder (good free publication BTW) and they spotlighted several professional wedding photographers. Part of the bio is about workflow and they all (no surprise) take thousands of photos per wedding and then choose X amount for further processing and presentation to the client. Again, I realize everyone uses different software (with Adobe being the industry standard) but does it just come down to time?

Maybe this (thread) does not make any sense... :dunno

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    You're right-- everyone does it differently.

Personally, I try to get it right in camera-- even though I shoot RAW. That means custom WB and double checking my exposures.

Once I'm done with a shoot, I download and rename everything using Photo Mechanics "injest". Then I burn a backup DVD or two and label it.

Using Photo Mechanics, I do a quick edit, killing photos where the subjects eyes closed-- the real obvious stuff. Then I get down to the details, and run through another quick edit. These are based on the jpegs.

If the shoot is for a client, I open up PSCS3 beta-bridge, and run a batch or image processor to convert everything to jpeg (I find these look better than the jpegs out of camera, and I can do a quick tweak on the exposure/crop/WB/fill/etc if necessary without opening everything).

Then it all gets uploaded to a private, password protected SM page. I send that info to the client, they send me back a list of what they want, and I retouch those images individually in post.

For a client who needs everything (ie a catalog/web shoot), I just add an action in the convertion that sharpens or whatever they need for the final product.

If the shoot is a portfolio shoot, I'll still upload everything to share with the model, MUA, hair, and whoever else was involved. But I make sure to make note of my favs and work those in post using PSCS3 and save them as unsharpened tifs.

The system I use is to save as tifs (that means they're done, but not sized or sharpened), web-res jpegs (watermarked with "© Pete Springer") for forums and web use, and if necessary, print-res jpegs ready to be printed.

Does that help? Is that what you were asking?

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    It does help... I appreciate you responding to this.

How oten is your WB, exposure, etc. "right" from the camera (before editing)?