Options

Caroline

SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited March 26, 2007 in People
A few to share of my Caroline. I am comfortable taking pictures of my kids but recently have been asked to take pictures of friends kids which I find it hard to capture candid moments. Any suggestions for taking pictures and getting kids to feel comfortable in front of the camera so the photos don't look so posed.

Shane138260586-L.jpg

125383096-L.jpg
www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon 70-200L IS 2.8

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    The teddy bear shot is awfully cute. I wish guitar girl was more involved. I imagine shooting kids is a real challenge.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,901 moderator
    edited March 25, 2007
    I was at your site, and there are several I liked, including the "crayon toes".

I'm kinda hoping Jim Fuglestad will respond here, but honestly, you are not alone.

I don't think there is a single answer to your question. Children come in all ages and personality types. What works best in one situation may bomb in another.

A fair ice-breaker is the understanding that many people will be interested in you, if you first take an interest in "them". Find out beforehand what the child's interests are, and then research that a bit if you are unfamiliar. It will give you both a topic for conversation, and usually makes the child more at ease.

Try not to rush in too close. A longer lens may give you a more intimate view without invading the child's space.

How you carry yourself will probably influence the child as well. If you are comfortable and at ease, it will probably work to your advantage. Likewise, if you seem rushed to finish, you might meet resistance to cooperation.

Sometimes the parents will help, but sometimes parents are an interference to the process. Play that by the situation.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    Thanks Ziggy for replying. Around the house with the kids I always keep the camera handy and if I see a moment I jut shoot it. On the other hand if someone is paying me to take pictures of their kids I put too much pressure on myself. I should just treat it no different than taking pictures of my own and I will probably do fine. Though parents hanging around while you are taking pictures does make me more nervous. I tend to do better one on one with the kids.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Another beautiful set . She is very cute
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    SitterS wrote:
    Thanks Ziggy for replying. Around the house with the kids I always keep the camera handy and if I see a moment I jut shoot it. On the other hand if someone is paying me to take pictures of their kids I put too much pressure on myself. I should just treat it no different than taking pictures of my own and I will probably do fine. Though parents hanging around while you are taking pictures does make me more nervous. I tend to do better one on one with the kids.

Shane
    You are on the right track; treat clients like shooting your own kids. It's no different!

As Ziggy said, it's typically the parents who interfere with the process.

Even parents who hire me because "they don't want stiff, boring studio pictures" tend to direct their children while I'm trying to encourage the children to let go.

I have started recent sessions with saying "I like to let the children take the lead; nothing makes kids more nervous than a bunch of adults towering over them/staring at them/giving them orders." Even this doesn't always work, and in a tense situation where space is tight and both parents are working against me (unbeknownst to them) I look them in the eye and quietly say "Would you mind giving [child] and I some time alone to play? Sometimes that helps get the results you want."

Jim Fuglestad's roundtable discussion covers his approach, and was helpful to me. I used to spend a lot of time w/o the camera getting to know the kids, but now find I don't really need to. Just relax and let them relax, don't be in a hurry, and keep your camera on you as you're chatting up the parents/exiting, those are often some of my best captures.

HTH. You have amazing talent, parents will flock to you in drones.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    I don't have any suggestions, but I love those two photographs, especially the one with the stuffed animal. It has a strong emotional draw for me.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Great shots, Shane! The 2nd shot is such a strong image....it stays with me in my mind's eye even after leaving the page. I've looked at lots of websites in the past month and have not run across any better children's portraits than these. Do you shoot in your own studio or on site? I am interested in hearing other's respond to the question you have posed. It is difficult to shoot and get a child to relax and it can be a problem with parents coaching from the sidelines, as Lynne has already mentioned. I would agree with others that thinking of the subject as if he/she were your own child and also taking the shots that you yourself would want, not allowing parents to run the show would be a good place to start. I enjoyed your gallery of Caroline...she's a highly photogenic child, but your skill really is evident. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Thank you so much for the compliment on my site. One day when I have the time I am going to customize it based on the tutorials here on Dgrin.

I don't have a studio and have never been interested and probably never will in taking pictures in a studio environment. I use natural light only and hopefully will be able to purchase a 580EX soon. Most of my pictures are taken in my house,in the yard, camping or wherever the opportunity presents itself.

Over the past year I have really been trying hard to take one thing of interest and try to work on getting better at it. For example, focus or natural lighting. I have started changing my focal points if needed and I think I have gotten better at understanding the light which is hard. It has been a slow process but over time with much practice I have seen improvement.

As for my BWs, I bet it has taken me about a year and a half to finally come up with something I like. Funny as you wouldn't think converting a picture to BW would cause so much of a headache. ne_nau.gif That is why I like this photoshop and photography stuff. Never a boring moment and always something new to learn. I just keep my bottle of aspirin nearby and my wine to wash them down and who knows what you can come up with after a few glasses!!!! :booze

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Shane,
    I've enjoyed these a lot. Very refreshing to see your effort applied to kids photography.
  • Options
    Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Shane,
    These are amazing! Absolutely wondeful!!!
    I took a look at your site also and must say.....that kitty is very photogenic too! mwink.gif

You do great work!!

Heather
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Shane,
    These are amazing! Absolutely wondeful!!!
    I took a look at your site also and must say.....that kitty is very photogenic too! mwink.gif

You do great work!!

Heather

Thanks Heather. I saw the comment you posted on my site and appreciate you taking the time to stop by. Unfortunately that little kitty isn't so photogenic anymore as the dog got hold of her and she is now missing two eyes. I hate it but my daughter still loves her just the same.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8