Options

LPS #2 Take 2

tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
edited April 1, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
The Golden Temple, highest seat of the Sikh Religion.
I think the night shot looks more stately.
I also think I went a tad overboard with sharpening, or is it okay?
138535109-L.jpg
138535104-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    The Golden Temple, highest seat of the Sikh Religion.
    I think the night shot looks more stately.
    I also think I went a tad overboard with sharpening, or is it okay?

While I do think this target has a great potential, the both images seem overcrowded to my personal taste. I don't have any problems with sharpening or colors, but there are too many distractions IMHO.

I think this is a perfect example of "you need to get closer", don't you agree? Get really close, go wide angle, set to low vantage point (tripod!) - and your night shot can be really golden! deal.gif

Good luck! Seems like you're onto something! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Shooting this in portrait mode
    zoomed in a bit will give you the reflections and a bit of the surrounding areas without distractions. Make the golden temple the subject...up front and personal using the other specular highlights, including the water line reflection to your advantage. If you take it in landscape mode, then my suggestion would be the same concept....It's got lots of shine and would be easy to make it stately.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif I agree with the others! ;)
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback
    I can't go closer because of the lake, the only thing I can do now is take a tighter crop. Can't go there for a reshoot. Luckily I took many shots, and since they are 8MP cropping is not really a major issue at all.

I am posting couple of more shots with cropping, hope they look "more stately".
    I have quite a few day shots too, but I feel night looks more stately.
    1. Evening shot
    138693345-L.jpg
    2. Crop of the night shot posted
    138690857-L-1.jpg
    3. Another night shot
    138697388-L.jpg
    4. A wide panaromic shot
    138699835-L.jpg
  • Options
    DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    I think the original night shot is great... just a bit blown out. I bet this shot would totally rock right after sunset and not so overexposed. Not sure if you can get back there... if not, I'd go with the first night shot, just see if you can recover some of the highlights.
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

• Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    I know it may sound strange and contradicting (at least to what I said earlier), but I like the pano shot most of them all. #2 is also good.

I can't believe you didn't take any long exposure ones, even if only to smooth the reflection.. :hide
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I know it may sound strange and contradicting (at least to what I said earlier), but I like the pano shot most of them all. #2 is also good.

I can't believe you didn't take any long exposure ones, even if only to smooth the reflection.. :hide
    I did take long exposure ones. Even 3s shots were blown out at ISO 100 and F8. In hindsight I should have stopped down to F12, but I focussed more on taking shots from every conceivable angle(I took around 110 shots in RAW, 25 of them night ones).
    In the heat of the moment I almost forgot that that if I could somehow take 15s of exposure, it would smooth out the reflections headscratch.gif
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    I like #1 from the second batch. Makes the palace look like it's made out of gold. Gorgeous.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    I like #1 from the second batch. Makes the palace look like it's made out of gold. Gorgeous.
    It is made of gold :).
    I am gravitating more towards the panaroma, don't know why.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    number one works but
    Wanted to say that you've executed it well but I like the angle of the pana.....The whole shot says stately. That's my take...Really like the portrait mode of your first one...nice time of dusk, nice reflections and color. The pana though is more powerful.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Beautiful subject. I like the pano best.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    I like the Pano best as well. It has an elegance that isn't coming through as well in the others. Out of curiosity, is there a little more image above that could be left in? It seems to me the crop to the top of the red towers (minarets?) to the right is a bit close. And how would it look if you selectively lightened those two towers very slightly and perhaps cloned out the thing between them that looks like a concrete water tower?
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    The pano's good. But I think you need to knock down the highlights a little bit.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Redone, without water tower
    Hi,
    I tried to lighten the minarets, but couldn't, cloning out the water tower was successfull.
    139322163-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Uhm,
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Hi,
    I tried to lighten the minarets, but couldn't, cloning out the water tower was successfull.

You forgot the reflection...ne_nau.gifdeal.gif

Also, I think if you can dim the reflections of all the top lights it would be much better, otherwise they simply act as very bright (and rather ugly, IMHO ) distraction points...
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    The minarets seem fine now that the water tower is gone. I see you added a little to the top now too, that seems better. Nikola is right about the reflections I think. Is your horizion straight? I'm not sure if it is a bit crooked or if there is a little lens distortion going on. Great shot, even better now!
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    I will crop the image from the bottom and clip of the lower reflections from the lights. I have another shot which is slightly tighter crop without the minarets, will post that too.
    I tried playing around with curves but could not really "tone" down the image very well, will post my results soon.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Tanveer,
    tsk1979 wrote:
    I will crop the image from the bottom and clip of the lower reflections from the lights. I have another shot which is slightly tighter crop without the minarets, will post that too.
    I tried playing around with curves but could not really "tone" down the image very well, will post my results soon.

Don't crop! Just dim them , and clone out the tower reflection. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Don't crop! Just dim them , and clone out the tower reflection. deal.gif

I'm with Nik on this, you don't want to crop any of the bottom away, just dim the bright white reflections down a bit and get rid of the reflection of the water tower.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Tries..
    Tried toning down the highlights, and also did a crop. Removed the water towr reflections too.
    Light reflections cropped :
    139528325-L.jpg
    Highlights toning:
    139529474-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Tried toning down the highlights, and also did a crop. Removed the water towr reflections too.
    Light reflections cropped :

Highlights toning:

1. Crop - no! deal.gif (at least not this one. Maybe try a bolder one, just to leave enough body of water to show some reflection. But in general reflection is good)
    2. Water tower reflection cloning - yes! thumb.gif
    3. Dimming - not enough, IMHO. I would put a layer of nudged water above them and set the trasparency to make them barely visible...

BTW, it still looks a bit skewed. I would probably use Free Transform or some other keystoning removal tool to eliminate the feeling.

HTH
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    1. Crop - no! deal.gif (at least not this one. Maybe try a bolder one, just to leave enough body of water to show some reflection. But in general reflection is good)
    2. Water tower reflection cloning - yes! thumb.gif
    3. Dimming - not enough, IMHO. I would put a layer of nudged water above them and set the trasparency to make them barely visible...

BTW, it still looks a bit skewed. I would probably use Free Transform or some other keystoning removal tool to eliminate the feeling.

HTH
    1. I tried to tilt it left and right, this looks the best angle. Free transform.. will try that. I think Photoshop has that.
    2. Nudge water over .. French for me, and I don't know french :). Could you elaborate... some link to tutorial.

I think these two and I will be done :D. BTW I have posted in the whipping section too, lets see what happens.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    1. I tried to tilt it left and right, this looks the best angle. Free transform.. will try that. I think Photoshop has that.
    2. Nudge water over .. French for me, and I don't know french :). Could you elaborate... some link to tutorial.

I think these two and I will be done :D. BTW I have posted in the whipping section too, lets see what happens.

Uhm, it is all Photoshop-French... I can't think of any particular links or place. headscratch.gif

I mean:
    1. copy layer, set mode to luminosity
    2. make it 50% transparent
    3. Move it a bit (this is called nudge:-) left or right so you can see the water on the top layer is covering the bright reflections
    4. While having the top layer selected Alt-click the Mask button
    5. Select white small soft brush and paint loosely over the bright reflection
    6. Reset opacity to 100%
    7. Adjusting brush color and size, refine the mask
    8. Now set the opacity to the value at which it works the best
    Something like that. It's way faster to do than to describe..:-)
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Very nice.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Very nice, indeed. Nice work and great support help from fellow dGriners, don't you think.thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif I'm very impressed with both.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2007
    Thanks everyone :) It really helped. I learnt a lot of things in post processing.
    I plan to do something else too, I will take -2 -1 0 +1 +2 from RAW and blend all the exposures. Lets see how HDR works out!
    Got time till sunday!
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2007
    Confused again
    Got feedback from the whipping post and few friends. They love the pano shot, but it does not really say stately to some. Most people think that the closeup shot is more stately provided I can reduce the clutter of background buildings.
    So thats precisely what I have done using the clone brush, and I think that this could be the shot I am going to enter.
    Please give your valuable feedback once again.
    139884133-L.jpg

139884735-L.jpg
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2007
    First one, no doubt. I like the close up shot more anyhow =c)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2007
    Of the two, definitely the first. I still prefer the pano, tho. :hide

Which do you like best? I'd go with the one that you think is the very best photograph of the lot. The one you would hang on your wall. All of the versions illustrate stately so trying to match up with the theme should not be the final criteria, IMHO (which, I confess, is worth less than 2 cents). In the end it is up to you. Whatever you choose it will be a photo to be proud of. Good luck!

Virginia

Email