Ok. I'll Play

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited March 26, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was feeling pretty discouraged about finding something to fit into the humble/stately theme AND taking an outstanding photo of same.

But decided to give it a try anyway when I spotted this man out my window this morning. C&C welcome.

All His Worldly Goods

138535459-L.jpg

Thanks,

Virginia

Email

Comments

• sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Hi Virginia,

It's a nice photo, but doesn't quite say 'humble' to me ne_nau.gif perhaps a better angle might work?! (I also feel the crop makes the pic. too tight) Can't say really - am having a very hard time myself thinking up a good concept for the themes even though I live in the 'Stately' District :(:

Sunita
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    I agree about the angle. Could be a GREAT shot at the right angle, but I think this one is too high....

Keep trying! I think you're onto a good idea, though!
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Thanks for your comments, Sunita and Andi. I appreciate that you took the time to tell me what didn't work for you in the photo. It is very helpful.

Good luck to you both in the challenge. thumb.gif

Virginia

Email
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    I like the angle of this shot. You could try a tighter crop of this man and a bit of noise. He's certainly a humble subject.

Jill
    Jill
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Hi Virginia, This one isn't working for me. His face is interesting but the main focus of the shot seems to be the cardboard tray sitting on his shopping cart. I think his stuff overpowers him and the stuff doesn't grab the viewer's (my) imagination. It's hard to put into words. The idea works for me but not the current view. Keep shooting.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestion, Jill. I can't reshoot, but I can take another look through the pictures I took at the time to see if there are more compelling views to work with.

Salaazr, I think you put your finger on the basic weakness of the photograph. The stuff on top of his stuff just isn't interesting (plus it is too bright and too prominent in the frame). As a result, it distracts from the photograph instead of contributting to its emotional impact. Good eye. bowdown.gif I really appreciate your analysis.

Virginia

Email
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    I agree with the others, this shot isn't going to do it.

I think the humble side of this challenge is really tough.
    I hope that the people who succeed in conveying it make it into the finals.
    I've thought about trying to get a humble shot for a week now, and I can't come up with anything.

Good luck Virginia.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.