starting over

two slowtwo slow Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited March 26, 2007 in Cameras
Hey all.
Due to some problems I have had recently I had to sell off all of my gear. Most may look at this as a bad thing I'm trying to look at it like a chance to start over.
I had used Nikon. I had a D70s, D80, three D200's and some of the best zooms Nikon had to offer.
I'm am still looking at nikon but...
I now have the opportunity to try something new. Canon.
I will have to go with a lot lower end kit than I was used to. Also primes are more what I'm interested in at this time. I'm looking at around a $1000 for a kit, this needs to include a body. I will try to get used lenses and body to keep cost down, as much as possible.
I would like to start with something around a 20mm to 35mm for the wide end, 85mm or so, and up to around a 200mm range. If the mid to longer lens would double for macro all the better.
What would you all suggest I look at for Canon?
D50, 28-105mm, 150mm, 300mm f/4

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 25, 2007
    Canon body and three lenses for around $1000USD?

Maybe?

Start with the XT/350D body for around $500-$600
    Add the EF 50mm, f1.8 for $70-$80

After this it gets tough. Most quality lenses, even used, are going to put you over the budget.

I suggest a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro for $325 new (hard to find used)

That leaves the long end for a future purchase.

You could also use older manual focus Pentax or Nikkor lenses with an adapter. You do need some kind of focus aid like a viewfinder magnifier, replacement focus screen or focus confirmation chip to make that practical, and you need to develop a routine for managing the aperture manually (preset aperture). Compared to auto-focus lenses, there are some real bargains out there, but they do lack convenience.

(The original Canon Rebel cameras can still be found, and they might save you some initial cash outlay, but gently used ones are getting harder to find, and the XT is much more responsive.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    I strongly agree with Ziggy on the Sigma 17-70mm. It is a nic operating and sharp lens. The wide end, except for F2.8, is very sharp out to edges. Still sharp throughout at 70mm. It focuses very close -macro nearly. Focus noise is really not an issue. Very good choice on a Digital Rebel and would put you into business until you can afford your primes...if you would still want them.
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
  • two slowtwo slow Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    what about a 20D instead of an XT? I seen them going for around $500 to $550 on e-bay.
    Also I seen a 35 f2 is a reasonable price. How well does it fair with either the XT or 20D? I would really like to stick to a few primes and use foot zoom.
    D50, 28-105mm, 150mm, 300mm f/4
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 26, 2007
    two slow wrote:
    what about a 20D instead of an XT? I seen them going for around $500 to $550 on e-bay.
    Also I seen a 35 f2 is a reasonable price. How well does it fair with either the XT or 20D? I would really like to stick to a few primes and use foot zoom.

While I can also find a very few sales at that price, remember that EBay is a considerable risk. You are not buying from a reputable dealer, you are buying a complete unknown from a completey unknown individual (in most cases).

I would much rather you purchase from a less risky source, which would be a reputable dealer like B&H, Adorama or KEH, or even one of the "trusted" long-time members here or on one of the other reputable photographic sites.

The money is yours to spend how you see, but I cannot recommend EBay because of the considerable risk.

Here is a review of the Canon EF 35mm f/2, a good, but not a fantastic, prime, that is also fairly pricey:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_35_2/index.htm

My original recommendations, based on your limited budget, are still my best recommendations to you.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    The reccomendations here are sound. Stay away from eBay for big ticket items like bodies and lenses. People have been screwed again and again using eBay.

My beginner kit was an XT, Sigma 17-70 and Canon 50 f/1.8. I have since upgraded to a used 30D, but those two lenses are still my workhorses. I still have my XT as a backup body. It's a damn fine camera.

If you are really jonesing for a 20D or 30D, just be patient and watch the Flea Market forums here. A number of reputable Fred Miranda converts have been joining up here and there are plenty of long time grinners to deal with. You will have to spend a little more money to get into that body, but that's your choice of course.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen