Options

Cheap memory cards

SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
edited March 26, 2007 in Accessories
It pays to shop around. A 4g sandisk extreme cf card is €229 from a camera shop in Dublin.
AC Photo, a german shop has them for €89. I do believe in supporting local shops but a difference of €140 is a little extreme(:wink ). I ordered three 4g cards. Total cost with postage was €295.

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Seamus wrote:
    It pays to shop around. A 4g sandisk extreme cf card is €229 from a camera shop in Dublin.
    AC Photo, a german shop has them for €89. I do believe in supporting local shops but a difference of €140 is a little extreme(mwink.gif ). I ordered three 4g cards. Total cost with postage was €295.

Also off the planet price here mate...i got waxy to buy me 2 x 4 gig in the US & post them to me & i just paypal'ed him as the company (i forget their name) only sold in the US & not overseas.
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    The deals vary widely in the US too. I just got an 8GB SanDisk for what I thought was an insanely good price and then someone I know finds the same card for half of the insanely good price. Definitely pays to shop around pretty heavily for these little buggers.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    The only cards I use are Transcends.

Newegg has them for a very good price:

4GB for $42.49:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208049

8GB for $77.99:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208050
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Decent prices for SanDisk Extreme III on mydigitaldiscount.

I got a 12GB.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Make sure that for these bargain prices, the card isn't a rip-off.

Some of the major brands have had this happen to them. There was an article on a computer forum about this a while back, and some photogs on another forum were bitten.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Glenn NK wrote:

Some of the major brands have had this happen to them. There was an article on a computer forum about this a while back, and some photogs on another forum were bitten.
    Thats where it up to the buyer to shop at a rep store. I cant see B&H selling fake sandisks but if you shop on ebay then you are more than likely to get a rippoff card these days.

Some ebay thieves know that people are onto them with selling things that seem way too cheap so now some sellers of fake cards come just under the 'normal' price & thus people tend to believe that it will be the real deal if they pay more but they still get a copy.
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Glenn NK wrote:

good point. The german shop that I linked to had plenty of good feedback on an Irish photo site.