Options

Wireless internet problem

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited March 26, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Good Morning All,
I have a problem with my 4 yr old New Balance Laptop's wireless protocol that has been ongoing from day 1. I have talked to their tech support a few times, tried everything from uninstalling the device, the driver, reinstalling both and even updating the driver but nothing works. My problem is this: when I use the ac cord at start up, I do not get the wireless icon at the bottom of the tray and cannot connect to the Internet. I can't even view the Network Connection properties either. When I start up using the battery, everything is fine. Now the laptop is 4 yrs old, so the battery is weak. There will come a time when the battery probably won't hold a charge then I'll be in trouble. What do the 'all knowledgeable ones' :bow recommend ?
Thanks in advance and have a good day :D
Jim...

Comments

• Options
    nightshadownightshadow Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Morning All,
    I have a problem with my 4 yr old New Balance Laptop's wireless protocol that has been ongoing from day 1. I have talked to their tech support a few times, tried everything from uninstalling the device, the driver, reinstalling both and even updating the driver but nothing works. My problem is this: when I use the ac cord at start up, I do not get the wireless icon at the bottom of the tray and cannot connect to the Internet. I can't even view the Network Connection properties either. When I start up using the battery, everything is fine. Now the laptop is 4 yrs old, so the battery is weak. There will come a time when the battery probably won't hold a charge then I'll be in trouble. What do the 'all knowledgeable ones' bowdown.gif recommend ?
    Thanks in advance and have a good day :D
    Jim...
    First, at 4 years on a laptop, I would seriously consider replacement. Having said that, my mother is running my sister's old win 98se laptop. What happens if you use a separate wifi card?
    Does this thing have a wired network adaptor? If so, have you tried using it? There should be a port or two on the back of your router. Good luck.
    Patrick
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    First, at 4 years on a laptop, I would seriously consider replacement. Having said that, my mother is running my sister's old win 98se laptop. What happens if you use a separate wifi card?
    Does this thing have a wired network adaptor? If so, have you tried using it? There should be a port or two on the back of your router. Good luck.
    Patrick
    Hey Patrick,
    I know its a 4 yr old unit, but other then the wireless issue, I've had no problems with it. It has a 1.2G processor, 40G HDD, 768MB Memory, swappable DVD Player/CD Burner combo & 4 USB connections, running on XP. Haven't tried another card yet, but it does have a wired ethernet card built in. I can use it, but most of the time, I'm about 40' from the router and the wireless makes it convenient. Just looking for an explanation as to what is causing this problem. Thanks for your input and have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    BrettGBrettG Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Maybe something to do with power profiles? It's been a while since I've used my windows laptop, but it had profiles for AC power vs battery power, and perhaps the wired NIC is "preferred" when on AC power?

Mine had custom (Toshiba) power management software, not sure if it's part of the base XP or not. Having said that, I never had any problems with wireless on AC power, but perhaps something to look at.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    BrettG wrote:
    Maybe something to do with power profiles? It's been a while since I've used my windows laptop, but it had profiles for AC power vs battery power, and perhaps the wired NIC is "preferred" when on AC power?

Mine had custom (Toshiba) power management software, not sure if it's part of the base XP or not. Having said that, I never had any problems with wireless on AC power, but perhaps something to look at.
    Hey Brett,
    I'll play around with the settings when I get home from work tonight.
    Thank you and have a good day :D
    Jim...