Options

trashing from PS CS file browser

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited January 28, 2005 in Finishing School
Today I noticed that when I trash items using the file browser in PS CS, they seem to not quite disappear. I did a little test... made a folder, dumped a ton of duplicate photos from a full CF card in there and noted the the space on my drive. Before this folder I had 16.3GB, after, 15.97GB. OK, so off to file browser in PS, there I selected all but one of the photo files and trashed 'em by clicking on the garbage can. Check the finder window and the files are gone, except the one remaining, BUT, size is still 15.97GB. Where are they hiding? I remember it being different on the PC, so I fired up PS on there (haven't done that for a while) and in there, when I trash from file browser, the files actually go to the windows recycle bin - then you empty that and space is restored.

Hmmmm. Anyone?
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    I kinda just answered my question... silly for not trying this first. I quit out of PS CS and got my space back. So I know that PS is caching the files somewhere. It'd still be nice to know where though. What if I'm doing a long PS session from a big shoot where I dump something like a half a gig of useless RAW files from a ball game. Would imagine performance could be better if that cache stayed clear, no? I snooped around in PS preferences but haven't figured it out.

So my question is modified, but still posed :D
    Erik

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I kinda just answered my question... silly for not trying this first. I quit out of PS CS and got my space back. So I know that PS is caching the files somewhere. It'd still be nice to know where though. What if I'm doing a long PS session from a big shoot where I dump something like a half a gig of useless RAW files from a ball game. Would imagine performance could be better if that cache stayed clear, no? I snooped around in PS preferences but haven't figured it out.

So my question is modified, but still posed :D
    Wish I had read your question before I left home this morning! I think one of the PSCS books I have talks about the File Browser and how it caches data. I just can't remember which book it is.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    FWIW, on a pC, I tried using File Browser. Even after quitting it, I noticed my machine was significantly slower processing pics. I assume it was using memory to 'remember' the shots I'd viewed in File Browser. That's the main reason I never use File Browser - I can't tolerate it slowing things down.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    re: long sessions
    You can purge the history to reduce your PS temp file. That's the one that 'eats' your HD space temporarily :D
    Edit -> Purge -> [option of choice]
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    FWIW, on a pC, I tried using File Browser. Even after quitting it, I noticed my machine was significantly slower processing pics. I assume it was using memory to 'remember' the shots I'd viewed in File Browser. That's the main reason I never use File Browser - I can't tolerate it slowing things down.
    it's never noticeably slowed me down. strange. Only when you first start it up, it generates thumbnails for whatever directory you're in, but once you close it again, it stops. there is an option for letting it background process, maybe you have it on? Man, I love the file browser. ne_nau.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    You can purge the history to reduce your PS temp file. That's the one that 'eats' your HD space temporarily :D
    Edit -> Purge -> [option of choice]
    good tip - i had seen that in my search this morning, but didn't want to push my luck. Thanks thumb.gif
    Erik