Options

tax and non-US resident?

fourseasonsfourseasons Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited January 29, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I am not residing in the US at the moment, I was skimming a thread that Mongrel started ("Advice & Encouragement on a 'Pro' Account? ")and it came to my awareness that I have to pay tax if I receive a certain amount of money by selling my photos. To my understanding, I have to do the tax word my own.
Since I am not residing in the US, will this be something that prevents me from selling my photos online?
Could someone briefly explain to me?

Thankssss,

-Adi-

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 29, 2005
    Here's the word from the IRS:

International photographers:

If you can email us with the information that you meet these three criteria, we won't need a USA tax form from you:

1. You are not a citizen of the USA.
    2. You do not live in the USA.
    3. You do not have a business presence in the USA.

Notifying us of those circumstances clears us to mail your checks. Checks are payable in US dollars.

U.S. - based photographers:

Before we can mail out your checks we need this tax form from you:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

It can be filled out online and printed. Please note somewhere on the form who you'd like your checks made out to. You can snail mail or fax a copy (only the page with the signature, no cover sheet needed) to us. We'll acknowledge our receipt of it by email.

Our Fax: 650-641-3125
  • Options
    fourseasonsfourseasons Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    Thanks Baldy,
    Now, does smugmug have a direct deposit system for a bank account in the US? or for a bank overseas? Because cashing an overseas check here in Japan will be a problem.
    Thanks, again

-Adi-

Baldy wrote:
    Here's the word from the IRS:

International photographers:

If you can email us with the information that you meet these three criteria, we won't need a USA tax form from you:

1. You are not a citizen of the USA.
    2. You do not live in the USA.
    3. You do not have a business presence in the USA.

Notifying us of those circumstances clears us to mail your checks. Checks are payable in US dollars.

U.S. - based photographers:

Before we can mail out your checks we need this tax form from you:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

It can be filled out online and printed. Please note somewhere on the form who you'd like your checks made out to. You can snail mail or fax a copy (only the page with the signature, no cover sheet needed) to us. We'll acknowledge our receipt of it by email.

Our Fax: 650-641-3125