Options

Paris first week of May

photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
Does anyone have good idea's for Paris? I like old quarters better then modern architecture, but I do shoot almost anything.
I think I want some old cafe's, l'ile de la Cite seems worth visiting...
Any more idea's?
Again: artists quarters and old Jewish neigborghoods are my thing...
Any suggestion welcome

Comments

• Options
    JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    In no particular order: Montmartre neighborhood (artists), The Rodin Museum, the Seine bridges (like Pont des Arts), St Severin Church, Luxembourg Gardens, Cimitiere Pere LaChaise, and if you want to take a short train ride, how about Giverny? I'm envious, wish I could go. Early May is a great time to be in Paris.

123989176-M.jpg

Cimitiere Pere LaCahaise with Kodak HIE (infrared)

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    JimW wrote:
    In no particular order: Montmartre neighborhood (artists), The Rodin Museum, the Seine bridges (like Pont des Arts), St Severin Church, Luxembourg Gardens, Cimitiere Pere LaChaise, and if you want to take a short train ride, how about Giverny? I'm envious, wish I could go. Early May is a great time to be in Paris.

123989176-M.jpg

Cimitiere Pere LaCahaise with Kodak HIE (infrared)

Wow thanks Jim... Our hotel is in Montmartre! And we do have a day booked to go to Giverny! I will need some pulling to get my husband to Pere Lachaise, which I wanted to visit for years already, maybe I need to send him off to the catacombes, and take myself to Pere Lachaise...
    It is funny, I lived in Belgium for 40 years, 4 hour drive from Paris, and never visited it. I am now doing the crossing from England to Paris...
    I am pleased to read about your findings, I will now go and look at all your photographs....
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Me again... thought your link was Paris pictures... Do you have a link so I can look at some of your Paris pics?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    (Sorry, but other Paris photos are not available at this time, just these.)

Here's a shot taken on Pont Alexandre, with the Grand Palais in the background, shot as a transparency and then made into a polaroid emulsion transfer.

119999879-L.jpg

• Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    JimW wrote:
    (Sorry, but other Paris photos are not available at this time, just these.)

COOL BEEENNNNZZZZ! Drop everything else that you might be doing right now, and post your Paris shots! I want to see them ALL... clap.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Or at least MOOORRREEEEEE
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Sorry photocat, but I'm still figuring out how to deal with protecting images, so can't post any more for now. Hey, I just responded 'cause you had 60 views and no responses. :D

Besides, your cat's freakin' me out! :hide

• Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Hey, I just responded 'cause you had 60 views and no responses. :D

Besides, your cat's freakin' me out! :hide[/QUOTE

Well, that is very sweet of you... don't let my cat freak you out, she is a pet and very docile. We have two of them.
    Let us know when you post the Paris ones, I will be first in line to go and see them!
    I will report when back from Paris.
  • Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    Hi photocat,

I'm jealous! Love Paris and have some shots in my gallery, if you want to look: http://mburkey.smugmug.com/gallery/2525113#132661010

and some "painted" ones here: http://mburkey.smugmug.com/gallery/2537170#133372918

I've been several times, last was in October '05, so I miss it. Fave places include Isle St. Louis (some great old buildings), the Marais district, Place des Vosges, Pont Alexander (night is great with the lights), Luxembourg Gardens and Palace, and almost anywhere along the Seine. Great view of the Eiffel Tower is from the Trocadero (Palais de Chaillot) across the river from the Tower, especially at night with the city lights. And, of course, the Latin Quarter, Blvd. St. Michel & Blvd. St. Germaine.

As I'm sure you know, you can't go wrong with a camera in Paris! You'll have a blast, and can't wait to see your pictures. :D
  • Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    Yea, tripod is a hastle. And they are very tight on having them in Paris, forbidden in most places. I tooK a tabletop tripod only and used it on a wall to shoot the Eiffel Tower. I also used my camera bag and my wife's little backpack.

BTW, the cafe with chairs is right on the corner of the Isle St. Louis as you cross the bridge from the Isle de la Cite. It's also a great little restaurant.

And thanks for looking at my pics. Glad you liked them.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    Hi PhotoCat,

I am off to Paris tomorrow for a month. Unfortunately, I return April 30 or maybe we could have met up for a photo shoot. One thing for sure is that you will have absolutely no trouble finding things to photograph. You won't believe how many pictures you will come home with!

Do go to Pere Lachaise. It is one of my favorite photo spots. I spend at least a couple of hours there every time I visit. It is the largest green space within the city limits of Paris and a lovely place for a walk. Get a map to find specific graves, or just wander. You won't regret it. Here is a link to my Pere Lachaise gallery.

Another great source of photographs is in the subways. Really!! Between the people and the brightly colored plastic seats and the often fascinating advertizing, you can't miss capturing some really interesting images.

I have a number of photos of Paris posted on Smugmug that may give you ideas of places to go for pictures. This link should take you directly there. If not, just go to my SmugMug site and click on Paris under the Cityscapes Gallery. I also put a series of photos on my blog that I took last fall walking through Montmartre. (Haven't had time - since last October mind you - to get them up on SmugMug). The presentation on the blog is a bit clunky, but if you double click on the pictures you will get a nice sized view.

And be sure to check out SmugMug's Les Photos de Paris community here.

You are going to have such a wonderful time!

Virginia

Email