LPS #2 Clouds

BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
edited April 2, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi Folks, So far, this is what I've come up with...
138921143-L.jpg
What do you guys think? Thanks!

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    A big sky
    works very well as majestic/stately providing you give the viewer some perspective to the size and magnitude. Some foreground with a lone tree for instance with gigantic cloud activity may work. This in it's present form looks like a shot up at the sky....beautiful clouds but not there yet.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    works very well as majestic/stately providing you give the viewer some perspective to the size and magnitude. Some foreground with a lone tree for instance with gigantic cloud activity may work. This in it's present form looks like a shot up at the sky....beautiful clouds but not there yet.
    Good point, I should have realized that sooner, but I guess now i'll just have to hope I get some similar clouds in the next few days for a reshoot... or I suppose I could try and merge two pics... :) Thanks, Ben
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:

I agree... Gorgeous shot, though! I love clouds!
    edited April 1, 2007
    I agree... Gorgeous shot, though! I love clouds!
    Thanks!

I've got a few more good clouds, but having stuff in the forground prevented me from being able to apply much of a curve...
    140248031-L.jpg

After trying to increase the contrast in the clouds...

140244773-L.jpg

As you can see... it throws off the foreground...

Any thoughts?
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    To paraphrase and plagiarise from one of Andy's tutorials:

"* first, a curves adjustment. layer>new adj layer>curves

* working in adjustment layers. i can't emphasize enough how important this is. the main benefit is that you can apply a layer mask, and easily undo the effect of the layer on just parts of the image."

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2063

Then use the layermask to mask the area you don't want affected by the curves adjustment you've made to the clouds and sky. For an explanation of and help with layer masks see the tutorial (again by Andy) below:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2044

Hope this makes sense to you.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
    edited April 1, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    To paraphrase and plagiarise from one of Andy's tutorials:

"* first, a curves adjustment. layer>new adj layer>curves

* working in adjustment layers. i can't emphasize enough how important this is. the main benefit is that you can apply a layer mask, and easily undo the effect of the layer on just parts of the image."

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2063

Then use the layermask to mask the area you don't want affected by the curves adjustment you've made to the clouds and sky. For an explanation of and help with layer masks see the tutorial (again by Andy) below:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2044

Hope this makes sense to you.

Thank you for the advice, I will have to give it a shot...
    edited April 2, 2007
    Doh... I thought the contest closed at midnight PST...

Oh well, your advice helped alot salazar,

Here's what I was able to come up with...

140457926-L.jpg

C&C welcome

Thanks!
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    Very nice work. It would qualify for the new challenge as picturesque!! Or even as irregular with the one orange tree! :D:D

Email
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    I love the orange tree =c) Looks good, the only thing that throws me off is the closest cloud. The dark part is a little too dark for my taste.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited April 2, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Very nice work. It would qualify for the new challenge as picturesque!! Or even as irregular with the one orange tree! :D:D

Thanks!
    And, that's exactly what I was thinking, only problem is it was shot during the previous challenge period...

though, for the new challenge I have a few ideas to try, and if none of them work out, maybe I'll try for a reshoot of this...
    edited April 2, 2007
    I love the orange tree =c) Looks good, the only thing that throws me off is the closest cloud. The dark part is a little too dark for my taste.
    Thanks!

when you say closest cloud you mean the one with the big spot right? about mid-way on the right side?

Thanks again!
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    All the way to the right
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section