Options

Sold My Rebel

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited January 29, 2005 in Flea Market
and kit lens...........gone.... to my husband's boss. Now I am waiting on my tax return, without my camera or lens. BH just got the camera and lens, USM 18-55 back in stock for about 1459.00. I asked Bill to ask his boss if I could borrow the difference between what I have, 1000.00 with my savings and his purchase, but even if he says yes, it will be Monday night before the money is in our bank.

So I am without a camera for a week, or 2 or more weeks. AAAAGGGGHHHHH!
At least I don't have to go through the hassle of shipping the thing. I was hoping he wouldn't take it until I could at least have a camera on the way. BH didn't have the camera in stock, now they do, I need it, and is the IRS there for me, :rofl

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    Congrats, Ginger. The 20D's a whole new world. Just wish I had more time to shoot with it. You know, work, family...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    It's just as bad as having a camera and crummy weather. Which has been for the last 3 weeks umph.gif I keep watching weather.com to see my 10 day forecast... clouds... rain... clouds...clouds... rain. :cry Needless to say, I feell your pain.

Have a nice day.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    and kit lens...........gone.... to my husband's boss. Now I am waiting on my tax return, without my camera or lens. BH just got the camera and lens, USM 18-55 back in stock for about 1459.00. I asked Bill to ask his boss if I could borrow the difference between what I have, 1000.00 with my savings and his purchase, but even if he says yes, it will be Monday night before the money is in our bank.

So I am without a camera for a week, or 2 or more weeks. AAAAGGGGHHHHH!
    At least I don't have to go through the hassle of shipping the thing. I was hoping he wouldn't take it until I could at least have a camera on the way. BH didn't have the camera in stock, now they do, I need it, and is the IRS there for me, rolleyes1.gif

ginger
    Well, congrats, ginger. Decision #1 made! Feels good, doesn't it?

What do you see as the advantage of the kit lens (did you see my reply above in the other thread?). Are there any 20d body only available?

ann
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Well, congrats, ginger. Decision #1 made! Feels good, doesn't it?

What do you see as the advantage of the kit lens (did you see my reply above in the other thread?). Are there any 20d body only available?

ann
    Ann, the advantage of the kit lens is the amt of money it costs. Around 1450.00 for body and lens, vs around 1900.00 something for the lens you mentioned (with the camera). There is a large nice discount on the body and kit lens, not for the lens you are talking about with the camera.

I am waiting to hear if I can use a credit card to buy the camera today. That would mean borrowing the money from Bill's boss, I could not at all borrow the larger amt of money. I gave him the figure of 1450.00 for the two.

It is really financial. I would consider it if things weren't complicated enough right now, but I think it would be a mistake to go that way now.

thanks, though,
    ginger
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Ann, the advantage of the kit lens is the amt of money it costs. Around 1450.00 for body and lens, vs around 1900.00 something for the lens you mentioned (with the camera). There is a large nice discount on the body and kit lens, not for the lens you are talking about with the camera.

I am waiting to hear if I can use a credit card to buy the camera today. That would mean borrowing the money from Bill's boss, I could not at all borrow the larger amt of money. I gave him the figure of 1450.00 for the two.

It is really financial. I would consider it if things weren't complicated enough right now, but I think it would be a mistake to go that way now.

thanks, though,
    ginger
    Hi Ginger - sorry I am not being clear -
    When I bought the 20d there were 3 choices generally available:
    The 20d body only.

The 20d plus the 18 - 55 mm kit lens - for a few hundred more (cdn dollars)

The 20d plus the 17 - 85mm USM kit lens for about $400 more if I remember right. That is the lens I got and am talking about, just had to buy mine seperately because there were no 'kits' available.

But you mentioned that you already have a 28 - 135 mm lens (or something like that) right? Something that overlaps, in focal length anyway, what you would get from either kit. So why buy the camera with the lens at all if you have a choice to buy the body only and save $100 or more dollars.

That is what I am asking - sorry I am not clear.

ann
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Ginger - sorry I am not being clear -
    When I bought the 20d there were 3 choices generally available:
    The 20d body only.

But you mentioned that you already have a 28 - 135 mm lens (or something like that) right? Something that overlaps, in focal length anyway, what you would get from either kit. So why buy the camera with the lens at all if you have a choice to buy the body only and save $100 or more dollars.

That is what I am asking - sorry I am not clear.

ann
    Oh, I am sorry, I was thinking of the wrong lens. For 100.00 I like the idea of at least one lens wider than 28. If it were easy to afford I would like to go wider.

I got the call, got to go order!!!!!! Do you understand, Ann? (I still covet a long lens, and I am afraid to spend to where I have no choices left)

ginger
    I think I take better photos when I come in tight, but I like wide lens photography a lot. I respect the people who do it well. Right now, I will pay the 100.00 to go a bit wider than my walk about lens, but not more for a 17- to something. I would be unhappy if I did not have the wider lens. I often use it.

ginger (I often use each of the lenses I have had: The kit, the 28-135. and the 75-300. Sometimes I use one more than the other, but it is one of the strong reasons IMO for owning a SLR, the ability to change lenses. And I do, often.)

I am waiting for a phone call, momentarily, to see if I can order the camera today. I could have kept my kit lens and just bought the body. Ralph wanted the lens, too, so I have to replace it, but I don't want to invest more in wide right now. I forget the exact prices, but that lens you mention, plus the camera is over 1900.00. That may, or may not, be a good deal, but it eliminates other options for me.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    How come you ended up going with the 18-55 usm and not the 18-55 non-usm?
    Richard