Basketball Team and Individual?

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited April 15, 2007 in Sports
Just been asked to do two basketball teams. Would love to see some samples, for pose ideas etc.

ann

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    No idea myself ann...hope someone can chime in & help out.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    gus wrote:
    No idea myself ann...hope someone can chime in & help out.
    bump
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 1, 2007
    Don't forget about this thread Gus.

Lots of good T&I suggestions.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Don't forget about this thread Gus.

Lots of good T&I suggestions.
    Wow, I missed that one, thanks. Winger has some excellent ideas in there!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Here are two examples I used this year.

140407621-L.jpg

#2 As shot from the camera no PP work, sorry.

140408146-L.jpg
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    Thanks! Maybe I'll bring a ladder.

Love your posters!

ann

Dbl wrote:
    Here are two examples I used this year.

140407621-L.jpg

#2 As shot from the camera no PP work, sorry.

140408146-L.jpg
    edited April 2, 2007
    Yeah, the ladder is always handy. I used it to get ON the backboard, I was standing on the lower crossbar of the backboard and wrapped my arms around the vertical post.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Yeah I was going to post a shot similar to DBL. I dont know if you need to climb up on the backboard, but then again I think I was using a 15 foot step ladder.

Its always nice to have an assistant for those kinds of things, even if it is just to hand the camera up to you while on the ladder and to steady the ladder while you are on it. No need to kill yourself over a shot.

In addition to the top down. you can also take a good bottom up shot, getting real low and shooting up. like this:

44534739-M.jpg

Have them stand on a 45 but face you, it is a much more flattering pose. If the ceiling is uninteresting it may not work. Here I was trying to catch the banners in the pose. If they can palm the ball, holding the ball out at you would proably look cool too.
    edited April 3, 2007
    winger wrote:
    Yeah I was going to post a shot similar to DBL. I dont know if you need to climb up on the backboard, but then again I think I was using a 15 foot step ladder.

Its always nice to have an assistant for those kinds of things, even if it is just to hand the camera up to you while on the ladder and to steady the ladder while you are on it. No need to kill yourself over a shot.

Thats what the coach was for, he did steady the ladder and hand me the camera. The ladder was not tall enough for me to get the angle I wanted. I also had about 1 minute to get the shot, hence the feet not lined up perfectly around the arc and the untied shoes and lack of shoes. Sometimes you've got to wing it and come up with something fast, as was this case. It certainly was nothing unsafe, but others may not be as comfortable. I wanted the wood floor to be the background, not the walls and unflattering ceiling. Just another "angle" to look at.
    Dan

Canon Gear
    edited April 3, 2007
    Dbl wrote:
    Thats what the coach was for, he did steady the ladder and hand me the camera. The ladder was not tall enough for me to get the angle I wanted. I also had about 1 minute to get the shot, hence the feet not lined up perfectly around the arc and the untied shoes and lack of shoes. Sometimes you've got to wing it and come up with something fast, as was this case. It certainly was nothing unsafe, but others may not be as comfortable. I wanted the wood floor to be the background, not the walls and unflattering ceiling. Just another "angle" to look at.

Wow, I hope you didnt think I was critizing your shots, because in the beginning of my post I said I was going to post a shot very similar but I found it unecessary since you had already posted shots exhibting a good example of a type of basketball team shot that is common and works.

I just wanted to make sure that Ann thought about making sure a ladder was secure before she crawled up there. Because when ever you are setting up a team shot, you are always short on time and full of "would of", "could of", "should ofs" so knowing some things in advance always help.
    edited April 3, 2007
    winger wrote:
    Wow, I hope you didnt think I was critizing your shots, because in the beginning of my post I said I was going to post a shot very similar but I found it unecessary since you had already posted shots exhibting a good example of a type of basketball team shot that is common and works.

I just wanted to make sure that Ann thought about making sure a ladder was secure before she crawled up there. Because when ever you are setting up a team shot, you are always short on time and full of "would of", "could of", "should ofs" so knowing some things in advance always help.

Nope, its all good, didn't feel like you were critizing at all. Just felt I should explain why I used the backboard for a stand. I actually feel better standing on a crossbar than a ladder...but that might just be me.:D
    Dan

Canon Gear
    edited April 3, 2007
    Dbl wrote:
    Nope, its all good, didn't feel like you were critizing at all. Just felt I should explain why I used the backboard for a stand. I actually feel better standing on a crossbar than a ladder...but that might just be me.:D

Cool :)

Althought this conversation does bring up a good point and I know ann you have taken group shots before so you proably know to check jerseys and shoes and hand placement and stuff.

Thats why it always great to have an extra set of eyes for these kinds of things.
    edited April 4, 2007
    Thanks for the tips guys.
    If these photos get taken it will be in a hall, not a gym, so typical bball props won't be available unfortunately. At this point I do not even know if they are boys or girls or their ages.

I have not been to the hall but I am guessing lighting will be lousy. I do not have any off camera lights yet, but I know it is time to get some. Do either of you use lights, flash or nothing?

Thanks
    ann
    edited April 4, 2007
    I just use a 580EX on a flash bracket, I try to use ambient as much as I can and use the flash for fill. I'm primarily a sports guy, not a lighting guy. I'm sure those much more qualified than I will give you some pointers.
    Dan

Canon Gear
    edited April 4, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Thanks for the tips guys.
    If these photos get taken it will be in a hall, not a gym, so typical bball props won't be available unfortunately. At this point I do not even know if they are boys or girls or their ages.

I have not been to the hall but I am guessing lighting will be lousy. I do not have any off camera lights yet, but I know it is time to get some. Do either of you use lights, flash or nothing?

Thanks
    ann

I have a set of alien bees I use, but really an on camera flash and a 580 could proably do ya fine.
    edited April 15, 2007
    So, I did these shots - 2 teams on two different days.
    The girls team are U14 or so - and really full of spunk. The hall was small, dingy and without a solid wall. The snow was gone from the outdoor basketball court, so out we went. Probably only 5 degrees C outside, but the girsl were great. I had them do layups, I knelt behind the basket and shot as they approached. It worked really well. We did a standard two row team photo, but the girls were giggling and wiggling - so not static.

I photographed the boys today - 8 & 9 year olds. So they could do layups, but not quite as well. The coach was great and made a few suggestions - we ended up having the boys pretend to shoot - so they look like action shots but there were many fewer dropped balls.

I am quite happy with them. Not done editing yet, but I will share when I get them posted to smugmug.

Best part about this - the coach has just taken on the role of organizing team photos for their 8 to 10 soccer teams and has asked me to pick my date!!!!wings.gifbarbwings.gif

Thanks for your help with this.
    ann