Nikon 50mm 1.4 or 1.8?!

photographybyvictoriaphotographybyvictoria Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited March 30, 2007 in Cameras
Hey All.
Wondering if anyone has any experience shooting with either of these.
One is a little more expensive (and its not that much compared to my other lenses) than the other...wondering if its worth it to spend the extra for the 1.4.

I am shooting newborns/babies with black background....need something to have in my bag if I get in a situation where there is low light. Since I am going to peoples homes I can ask how the light is but I need to be prepared.

Thanks!
Victoria

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    The f/1.8 is such a bargain at around $80 everyone should have one! If it's a lens you think you will use occasionally, this is the lens I would pick. The one I have is sharp, however, it is slow to focus in lowlight situations and very noisy. If I were using it professionally and on a regular basis, I would shell out the extra for the f/1.4. It's not that expensive and still a good buy. :saurora
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    For the use you described I don't know that the half stop between the f/1.8 and f/1.4 is going to make much difference. I've never heard anything bad about either lens. I say get the f/1.8... If you hate it and you wind up getting the 1.4 you could always keep the the 1.8 as a cap for a spare body :D
  • fmkjrfmkjr Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    The 1.8 is an excellent lens
    I have no experience with the 1.4. However, I will tell you the 1.8 is an outstanding lens. Very sharp and in decent light, very fast. I used it for a princess ball (low light), portraits, crowning of the girls, plus baby dedications over the weekend and I am always amazed at the results when using this lens. clap.gif

I might be wrong, but most home would have enough light for use with the 1.8. I took pictures at my father in laws 81st bday party last week and the light was low. The pictures were very sharp...

Maybe others that have the 1.4 could state the difference in the DOF too...

frank
    dr.Frank

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalms 19:1
    We now need to not destroy it and capture its beauty for all to behold.

http://www.kendralla.com
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    I have both lenses and prefer the f1.4. It is significantly quieter and mine seems to focus faster. Both lenses are a bargain. I also find that my f1.4 is sharper wide open than my f1.8 although YMMV. I picked mine up used for $200. This is my least expensive, fastest glass which gets used often.

My only complaint is that both of these lenses feel too small on my D2X. I prefer the 85mm, f1.4 on the D2X. The 50mm fits quite nicely on the D200.

Just took this one of my daughter last week with the 50mm, f1.4 wide open with just natural light during our ski vacation.

138960444-M.jpg
  • photographybyvictoriaphotographybyvictoria Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    Thanks all for the replies!
    I am still totally up in the air....my job that i am concerned about is this weekend so I better get with it QUICK!
    I am using it professionally - but then I heard that 1.4 gets a bit blown out....and then I was told the better the glass the more $......which makes sense, but then more $ doesnt necessarily mean better for my situation...oh geezz......
    Maybe I'll go play @ the store :)
    Thanks for all your input!!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 28, 2007
    Thanks all for the replies!
    I am still totally up in the air....my job that i am concerned about is this weekend so I better get with it QUICK!
    I am using it professionally - but then I heard that 1.4 gets a bit blown out....and then I was told the better the glass the more $......which makes sense, but then more $ doesnt necessarily mean better for my situation...oh geezz......
    Maybe I'll go play @ the store :)
    Thanks for all your input!!

Trust Mitch! thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • photographybyvictoriaphotographybyvictoria Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    Fabulous! Will do! Thanks!! :)
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Trust Mitch! thumb.gif
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Trust Mitch! thumb.gif

+1 with everything Mitch said.

The 1.4 works very well across the entire apature range. It really brings the most out of natural light - which I consider a big big plus for kid shots and babies.
    --Kres
    edited March 30, 2007
    Thank you all so much for your input! clap.gif
    I bought the 1.4 yesterday & I LOVE IT! its so tiny!!
    Here's a pic I took of my son last night at 7:30 last night!
    (Hopefully it worked its my first picture post.)
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Enjoy the lens, Vicoria!! I think you made a wise choice.clap.gif

Don't forget to post more pics as you get more comfortable with it. Remeber to be patient when using it wide open. It does take some practice.