Options

smugdav

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
Well, I'm just savvy enought to be able to log into the webdav version of smugmug. Not sure what to do with it, though. I opened one of my images remotely. That was cool.

Anyone have any ideas about how this could be really useful?
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Well, I'm just savvy enought to be able to log into the webdav version of smugmug. Not sure what to do with it, though. I opened one of my images remotely. That was cool.

Anyone have any ideas about how this could be really useful?

Glad someone found it. :)

In it's current form (ie, READ ONLY), it's mainly intended as an easy backup method. Select the folder(s) you want, and copy them to your local drive. Boom, instant local backup.

Especially useful if you lost your local copy of your files to a HD crash or something.

Once it's not read-only, though, it could be an easy bulk-uploading method as well as an organization and album/category/subcategory creation tool. We'll get there.

Don
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Glad someone found it. :)

Do I get a prize?

In it's current form (ie, READ ONLY), it's mainly intended as an easy backup method. Select the folder(s) you want, and copy them to your local drive. Boom, instant local backup.

Especially useful if you lost your local copy of your files to a HD crash or something.

Once it's not read-only, though, it could be an easy bulk-uploading method as well as an organization and album/category/subcategory creation tool. We'll get there.

Don

Very cool. Won't it be exceptionally easy to screw things up when bulk-uploading or messing with the organization?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    my chin dropped to the table
    Whhoooohoow!! clap.gif That really rocks! I always imagined some sort of ftp-tool to manage images. Nikolai's SE was the first step and this is even greater especially to download images!

Is it correct, that downloading stuff over the dav-engine does not create traffic in my statistics? Would be great if I need a big chunk of originals one day, but I don't hope this will be necessary.

Also found a bug: Categories containing galleries with special characters (+,ü,ö,ä etc.) can't be viewed...there's an unknown error.

I am really happy to have this feature! In combination with the copy feature it's like christmas again! thumb.gif
    Thanks for your outstanding work! I like such suprises deal.gif

Best whishes to the smugmug team,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    Where is it? (edited)
    Can't find it.. :-(ne_nau.gif
    Probably a sign of a permanent brain damage..headscratch.gif
    Hints/directions, please? bowdown.gif
    --
    EDIT:
    nevermind, found it: http://www.smugmug.com/hack/webdav-overview
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Can't find it.. :-(ne_nau.gif
    Probably a sign of a permanent brain damage..headscratch.gif
    Hints/directions, please? bowdown.gif

here
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    Thanks, man!
    DavidTO wrote:
    Wicked timing, man- split second after I found it myself:-)
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    What can I say - wow!
    Good job, Don!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Very cool. Won't it be exceptionally easy to screw things up when bulk-uploading or messing with the organization?

Not if I write it correctly. I suppose it's possible someone will end up with photos in the wrong place, but that can easily happen with the current tools.

As long as no photos get *lost*, I'll consider it to be a success. :)

Don
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Not if I write it correctly. I suppose it's possible someone will end up with photos in the wrong place, but that can easily happen with the current tools.

As long as no photos get *lost*, I'll consider it to be a success. :)

Don

So no prize, eh?

Darn. I thought I mighta finally won something.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 29, 2005
    My hint about the Roach Hotel in the other thread came from a conference we attended. Developers there said they won't use photo sharing sites because they're like the Roach Hotel — Roaches check in but they don't check out.

Then someone sat down beside us and got all passionate about webdav and onethumb started thinking, "hmmmm...."
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2005
    OK, so I follow the instructions to enable Smugdav and create a network connection.

I can get a list of the category folders but any attempt to open one results in the error message "The current operation cannot be completed because an unexpected error has occurred".

Where do I enter my Smugmug login details to get access to my account?

headscratch.gif

Iain
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2005
    Noggin wrote:
    OK, so I follow the instructions to enable Smugdav and create a network connection.
    I can get a list of the category folders but any attempt to open one results in the error message "The current operation cannot be completed because an unexpected error has occurred".

headscratch.gif
    Iain
    Couldn't have phrased the question better!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    Noggin wrote:

headscratch.gif

Iain

When you create the network connection, it should popup a window asking for a login & password.

Simply enter your smugmug login info (email and password), and it should work fine.

If it doesn't, you may have found a bug. This is pretty rough software at this point, so it might be buggy. I'm not having any problems, but that doesn't mean you won't. :)

Don
  • Options
    T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2005
    Well that's convenient and works great!
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    edited January 31, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    When you create the network connection, it should popup a window asking for a login & password.
    As far as I remember it didn't ask me for my account details, but I assumed it used the hashed smugmug login from my internet explorer.
    Isn't it so, that the build-in DAV-Tool from Win2000/XP uses the IE to access the data?! Then this would be logical, wouldn't it? ne_nau.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    onethumb wrote:

That is what I would have expected, but no! :uhoh

I normally use Firefox, so just checked that IE has my Smugmug details and the problem is still there :cry

I guess I'll just have to wait, or perhaps dig a bit deeper headscratch.gif

Thanks anyway,

Iain
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    As far as I remember it didn't ask me for my account details, but I assumed it used the hashed smugmug login from my internet explorer.
    Isn't it so, that the build-in DAV-Tool from Win2000/XP uses the IE to access the data?! Then this would be logical, wouldn't it? ne_nau.gif

No, it doesn't use IE's data.

Might want to delete the Network Connection you built from smugmug and start over.

I've done this on a bunch of machines now, and they all pop up a dialog box asking for the username/password. If yours doesn't, it might be some obscure setting somewhere that I don't know of, but I haven't seen it on Windows or the Mac.

Note that no-one has tried it on Win2K, that I know of, just WinXP.

Don
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    I've deleted and recreated several times - all with the same result, no password dialog.

I'm running XP Home with Norton Internet Security firewall enabled and Windows firewall disabled.

Iain
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    Problem solved!! clap.gif

I download this MS update and it works a treat - without ever prompting for a password headscratch.gif

Iain
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    I've done this on a bunch of machines now, and they all pop up a dialog box asking for the username/password. If yours doesn't, it might be some obscure setting somewhere that I don't know of, but I haven't seen it on Windows or the Mac.

Note that no-one has tried it on Win2K, that I know of, just WinXP.
    Can't remember if it asked me or not, but I tried it again (deleting+creating) and there was no login window.
    What so ever...I'm just happy that it works and even though I'm using Win2000. clap.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2005
    Noggin wrote:
    Problem solved!! clap.gif

I download this MS update and it works a treat - without ever prompting for a password headscratch.gif

Iain
    Deleted the network connection.
    Installed the MS Update.
    Rebooted PC.
    Installed new network connection.
    Did NOT get a popup screen for username & password.
    When I connect I get a folder with a list of categories. If I double click a category under which I do NOT have any photos, an empty folder opens.

If I double click a category under which I DO have photos I get - Documents in this folder are not available. The folder may have been moved or deleted, or network problems may be preventing a connection to the server.

Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2

Suggestions?

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2005
    Nir,

Try a few other categories, some of mine return an error as yours do, others come up empty (when they are not) and I have a gallery appearing where it shouldn't (although it also appears correctly where it really is!).

I have recently been re-organising some categories, sub-categories and galleries, is there perhaps a caching problem?

Looks like there may be a bit more to be done to the underlying code headscratch.gif

Looks good though, good work all concerned,

Iain
  • Options
    renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    No Login prompt issue
    I've done some testing on the login prompt issue. I found that when I am logged in to smugmug on IE, when I create the webdav connection (windows xp) it does not prompt for a password.

I log out of smugmug in IE and I get prompted. I havn't tried to see what happens to an existing connection when logged out.

I have access to two accounts, mine and my mothers, and I tried this with both. When logged in as her, i get her account through webdav, when logged in as me, i get my account.

Onethumb, in my experiences with webdav, there should be a way to have the address you log in to include the username so that it is something like:
    https://upload.smugmug.com/renstar
    instead of:
    https://upload.smugmug.com/smugdav.mg
    I would much prefer something like that before write access is allowed.

Also, for windows xp users, if you want to use multiple accounts and arn't getting prompted for a password, there is a program called WebDrive that manages webdav connections.

For OSX, a program called Goliath does the same thing, and i think it uses SSL, unlike the OSX method mentioned on smugmug.

FWIW, firefox has no effect on this.

renstar
    renstar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2005
    good one, man!
    thanksthumb.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    renstar wrote:
    I've done some testing on the login prompt issue. I found that when I am logged in to smugmug on IE, when I create the webdav connection (windows xp) it does not prompt for a password...
    Thanks for the tip! I think I am almost always logged in even though IE was closed. I will only be able to try it Sunday - I'll let you know.

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 2, 2005
    webdav url with no login prompt
    Hi All,

Here's how you do the login without having to worry about the login prompt...

[url="https://"]https://[/url][username]|[password]@upload.smugmug.com/smugdav.mg

Now, with the , you need to replace the [email="'@';"]'@'[/email] with '@' (the HTML ascii equivalent)

so, here's an example...

https://fred.bloggs@hotmail.com|smugmug@upload.smugmug.com/smugdav.mg

Note: you will have to hover over the links to see the full url

Hope this helps,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    Well, I'm logged out of my account on smugmug and logged in on IE, and I got no password prompt.
    Richard
  • Options
    Michael AllenMichael Allen Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    I'm on xp pro and using firefox and it took me right to my account, haven't tried to upload yet but it looks good, think I'll like this.
    -Mike
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    Hi All,

Here's how you do the login without having to worry about the login prompt...

[url="https://"]https://[/url][username]|[password]@upload.smugmug.com/smugdav.mg

Now, with the , you need to replace the [email="'@';"]'@'[/email] with '@' (the HTML ascii equivalent)

so, here's an example...

https://fred.bloggs@hotmail.com|smugmug@upload.smugmug.com/smugdav.mg

Note: you will have to hover over the links to see the full url

Hope this helps,

David

Also note that an undocumented 'trick' is that smugmug allows you to use your NickName as your username, not just your Email. So you don't need the @ at all, if you're clever. :)

This works for smugDAV too.

Don
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    I am experiencing the strange effect of Galleries (and photos therein) in a Subcategory appearing at both the Category and Subcategory levels - anyone else seeing this?

Also, some Categories repeatedly give the error message:

"Documents in this folder are not available. The folder may have been removed or deleted, or network problems may be preventing a connection to the server"

Any clues as to what is going on? I can access the Category and photos in the conventional manner so know they are still there!

Iain