Options

Macro Testing

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited March 28, 2007 in Holy Macro
Comments?

EDIT: Image(s) removed. See my gallery for image(s).

Comments

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    Like the color and clarity on the first one, what is it? Something rusty?thumb.gif

I don't know if i'm crazy about the other shots. Well done, regardless. Which lens?
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Like the color and clarity on the first one, what is it? Something rusty?thumb.gif

I don't know if i'm crazy about the other shots. Well done, regardless. Which lens?

All shot with the Canon MP-E 65 macro lens.

The first is indeed just a rusty brad securing a metal wire fence to a piece of wood.

The other two are B&W conversions of the flower of a small weed. They weren't great to begin with. It's a bit hard to get a handle around such a narrow depth of field at such high magnifications.
  • Options
    DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    Don't let the narrow depth of field put you off -you can use it to direct the viewer's attention to a particular area of an image. Instead of seeing the depth of field as a limiting factor use it to your advantage...
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    Excellent colours and textures in #1. I actually also like #2 which is odd (I don't normally like B&W conversions or narrow dof flower pics) :)
    As John mentioned- use the narrow DOF to isolate the actual subject (you obviously need to make a decision on what the subject is). If you feel you want more DOF you can always try focus stacking see http://www.flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/163367/

Brian V.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Comments?

The rust shot looks quite interesting, the flowers look delicate. :D

The shall DOF with the MP-E65 takes a bit of getting used to,
    and extreme magnification means all dust on the sensor is going to show up..... image #3 has a few dust spots, and looks very grainy.

I am pretty sure Brian has this same lens, he might be able to give you better feed back than what I can, as I do not own this particular lens. :D

Thanks for sharing your joy of Macro...... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    Don't let the narrow depth of field put you off -you can use it to direct the viewer's attention to a particular area of an image. Instead of seeing the depth of field as a limiting factor use it to your advantage...

That's kind of what I was trying to do. I think the breeze outside was getting in the way. The darn things kept moving on me, darn it.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Excellent colours and textures in #1. I actually also like #2 which is odd (I don't normally like B&W conversions or narrow dof flower pics) :)
    As John mentioned- use the narrow DOF to isolate the actual subject (you obviously need to make a decision on what the subject is). If you feel you want more DOF you can always try focus stacking see http://www.flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/163367/

Brian V.

Thanks for the comments. As I mentioned earlier the breeze keep the flowers moving quite a bit. I read about stacking from one of your previous posts. However, I do not thinkg that would have been possible this time.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    The shall DOF with the MP-E65 takes a bit of getting used to, and extreme magnification means all dust on the sensor is going to show up..... image #3 has a few dust spots, and looks very grainy.

Spent time last night cleaning the sensor. While there was some more dust, it turns out a lot of the specks were on the lens inside the barrel. A lot of blowing cleared out most of the specks. There are still a few, but they are managable in photoshop. I am going to try some more cleaning later.

Thanks for the comments, too, Skippy.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    Beautiful just beautiful iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery