Wierd issue with Smugmug and website called Jookster

chaberlackchaberlack Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited March 27, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I googled my name and found that a site called Jookster.com has some of my photos on it. Apparently, they collect and share photos. I'm assuming they got to my photos from my keywords. My problem is, is that they also have photos taken by other people attributed to me. This concerns me, especially if they are photos I wouldn't want to be associated with me.

I have emailed them to request they remove me from their site but I doubt I will hear anything. So, my question is how can this be avoided in the future? Do I have to eliminate all keywords? Do I have to have my galleries all be private (which would not be what I want)? Can I do something else?

Here is a link to the Jookster site - http://www.jookster.com/userdetails.aspx?creator=Craig%20Haberlack&co=SmugMug
Page 1 with the aircraft are mine plus the plus the one entited "emily". The last one on page 1 plus all on page 2 are not mine. I don't know who took these.

Any input would be appreciated.

Craig.
www.chaberlack.smugmug.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    Hi chaberlack,
    Wow, they are just taking your photos and setting them up under your name on their website?

Am I understanding you correctly?
  • chaberlackchaberlack Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi chaberlack,
    Wow, they are just taking your photos and setting them up under your name on their website?

Am I understanding you correctly?

Andy,

Yes and no. I have not subscribed to their site and have not heard of them them until now. Some are mine and some have been taken by other people but all appear under my name. All appear to come from Smugmug however. Since I assume they got to my Smugmug photos by use of keywords by me, do I need to avoid using keywords in the future? Do all smugmug users who don't want this to happen to them need to avoid keywords?

I don't really care that they have my photos under my name on their site but what I do care about is that they are posting other people's photos with my name attributed to them alongside my photos.

Craig.
  • LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    chaberlack wrote:
    Andy,

Yes and no. I have not subscribed to their site and have not heard of them them until now. Some are mine and some have been taken by other people but all appear under my name. All appear to come from Smugmug however. Since I assume they got to my Smugmug photos by use of keywords by me, do I need to avoid using keywords in the future? Do all smugmug users who don't want this to happen to them need to avoid keywords?

I don't really care that they have my photos under my name on their site but what I do care about is that they are posting other people's photos with my name attributed to them alongside my photos.

Craig.

From the looks of it...

I'd just turn of External Linking and do a hard refresh (ctrl+F5 on PC) on that site... I'm willing to bet the images dissapear ;)

give it a try and let me know... if you click the full size image... then check the link properties... they go right back to your SM site...

Steven
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • chaberlackchaberlack Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    LiquidOps wrote:
    From the looks of it...

I'd just turn of External Linking and do a hard refresh (ctrl+F5 on PC) on that site... I'm willing to bet the images dissapear ;)

give it a try and let me know... if you click the full size image... then check the link properties... they go right back to your SM site...

Steven

Steven,

Yes, that did work. The thumbnails still appear but clicking on the photo produces an "x". Problem is there are two sites I do post photos on and they are now gone on those as well now. I guess I need to figure out which is more important - posting to the two sites or keeping sites fishing for photos out of my Smugmug photos.

Thanks.

Craig.
  • LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    chaberlack wrote:
    Steven,

Yes, that did work. The thumbnails still appear but clicking on the photo produces an "x". Problem is there are two sites I do post photos on and they are now gone on those as well now. I guess I need to figure out which is more important - posting to the two sites or keeping sites fishing for photos out of my Smugmug photos.

Thanks.

Craig.

what I do is make a private gallery... no keywords... but allow external linking...

seems that would solve your issues....

in regards to the thumbnails still showing up... if you do a hard refresh... the thumbnails dissapear... i tried it... i get x's now :)

Let me know if this makes sense...

Here to help,

Steven
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex