can you recommend a portable card reader?

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited January 28, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
i need a usb or firewire attachable cf card reader, preferably very tiny, easy to tote.

thanks for your help

Comments

• dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    Yup. As you remember, I had problems with my first one. I currently use a Sandisk Firewire card reader. It does require you carry a cable, but its pretty small & works perfectly. It looks to be discontinued now, but checking the Sandisk site I found a newer, smaller reader.

*EDIT*
    I read the fine print, and it doesn't support CF cards

Dave
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i need a usb or firewire attachable cf card reader, preferably very tiny, easy to tote.

thanks for your help
    I have one from Crucial Memory devices that is silver, nice and small and reads all known kinds of flash cards, memory sticks, etc. The one that just reads CF looks particularly small and cheap, but compared to your 1Dsmkii, weight and/or price isn't going to be an issue. Infinity plus epsilon.
    If not now, when?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    rutt wrote:

[snip] but compared to your 1Dsmkii, new Apple G5, 30" display, and 12" powerbook, the bank account is getting low. weight isn't going to be an issue but frankly, Andy, i'm wondering if you're thinking of robbing a bank, so maybe you better just use the cable that came with the camera, and offload pics that way. Infinity plus epsilon.

fixed.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 28, 2005
    andy wrote:

thanks for your help

I bought a Stratitec multi card reader USB 2.0 from Sam's. It comes with a 3 foot and a 1 foot USB cable and reads CF,SD,XD, Micro Drives and seems to work fine. I think I paid $18.00 It is smaller than a deck of cards.

If your PowerBOOK has a PCMCIA slot the smallest and easiest is a CF to PCMCIA adpater - about $10, and fits into the PCMCIA slot.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    I figured I would post the link to the real small card readers even though it doesn't support compact flash. There may be other people interested.

Hopefully they come out with the CF version soon.

Sandisk MobileMate Reader
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    SanDisk 12-in-1 USB 2.0
    andy wrote:
    i need a usb or firewire attachable cf card reader, preferably very tiny, easy to tote
    about $30 in Office Depot
    here's the link
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    I have an old card reader, as old as I have been doing digital, years. It was about 25.00 at Amazon then, I think it is cheaper now. It reads CF cards. Made by SanDisk, orange letters across the top almost worn off. Fits on the USB port. Was the cheapest I could find at the time.

They still make them, and I understand that with rebates and all, you can get them for free.......

When I was visiting my daughter in DC, wanted to upload my photos to her computer, I bought another one, it read more cards, including hers. I bought it at target, it was an off brand. Very easily attached to her USB port. I left it with her. It was about 30.00.

ginger

I would buy a cheap one to see how you like them. Then you might have one for years like I have........thumb.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.