Will It Recover?

Gordon McGilvrayGordon McGilvray Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited April 22, 2007 in Cameras
I took my Casio EX-P600 camera on vacation with me to South America. It was immediately mostly done in by humidity. I cannot use the liquid crystal display as only some black splotches show, no matter what the setting. I can therefore not view my pictures or make any adjustments to the camera, but can only point and shoot...hoping for the best. (Fortunately I have a view finder.) I had a CD made during my trip, and all the pictures are there. I just have no control over them. I must blame myself for this problem as the stainless steel ring surrounding the lens fell off (beat up and therefore ill-fitting)and was lost. I did not immediately replace it as I thought it was for show only. But, evidently it also kept the moisture out. I had used it (with the ring in place) previously in equally humid Hawaii with no problem.

My question: Is the camera permanently damaged, or will it dry out to its old self over a period of time

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    I took my Casio EX-P600 camera on vacation with me to South America. It was immediately mostly done in by humidity. I cannot use the liquid crystal display as only some black splotches show, no matter what the setting. I can therefore not view my pictures or make any adjustments to the camera, but can only point and shoot...hoping for the best. (Fortunately I have a view finder.) I had a CD made during my trip, and all the pictures are there. I just have no control over them. I must blame myself for this problem as the stainless steel ring surrounding the lens fell off (beat up and therefore ill-fitting)and was lost. I did not immediately replace it as I thought it was for show only. But, evidently it also kept the moisture out. I had used it (with the ring in place) previously in equally humid Hawaii with no problem.

My question: Is the camera permanently damaged, or will it dry out to its old self over a period of time

The short answer - I don't know. It might be corrosion. If it's corrosion the camera will have to be repaired. If there is just some moisture traped inside the camera then it might dry out and fix itself, but as it dries corrosion might start setting in. If I had to guess I'd say it's going to need some repair work.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 29, 2007

Gordon,

I'm not familiar with your particular camera, but if the LCD is the only affectation then it could be that it lost its connection with the camera. Some LCDs are connected by "pads" which simply touch against the LCD connectors. Since the signals they pass are very low voltage, if the connectors corrode in the least they lose connection with the pads.

If you are feeling brave (and the following is entirely at your risk), use your thumb and a piece of rubber (anything to give your thumb traction acainst the LCD) to gently "wiggle" the LCD a bit. You should not use much pressure on the LCD, lest you crack it.

What you are trying to do is rub the contacts just a little against the pads. This very slight movement may reestablish the connection and give you back your LCD.

If this makes you uncomfortable, have someone else familiar with electronic equipment to do it for you. The is only a slight chance that this will cure the problem, and the cure may only be temporary, but it's a fairly simple procedure to try.

Again, don't put too much pressure on the LCD or it will crack. Proceed with caution and at your own risk.

Good luck,

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Gordon McGilvrayGordon McGilvray Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Will It Recover?
    Cletus

I did send the camera to Casio for repair.

ziggy53

Unfortunatelly I already sent the camera to Casio before reading you message. I suspect that you were right, as the price Casio charged me for repair was cheap. One cannot talk to Casio Repair directly so we will never know.

Anyway, the camera is working fine now.

Thanks for the help guys.

Gordon