Options

bw conversion tute

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited January 29, 2005 in Finishing School
i got this link from daniel chui

greg gorman's website click on the "learn" link and you will find it. i tried it, it's quite nice.

oh and the this guy's work is top-shelf. the tonal ranges he gets is lovely!

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i got this link from daniel chui

greg gorman's website click on the "learn" link and you will find it. i tried it, it's quite nice.

oh and the this guy's work is top-shelf. the tonal ranges he gets is lovely!

Ahem rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    - I have posted this information several times and credited it to Greg Gorman each time. His web site is lovely - I loved seeing how his studio is set up with a continuous curve without a corner.
    I actually originally learned the technique from G Gorman's presentation during the Epson Online Printing Academy and later found the tutorial also on his website. It is a great technique for creating duotones and B&Ws. I even wrote it up in the moderators thread for Cletus and in the PS thread as well.
    thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    i told you im dyslexic...im thinking "what the hell ...? greg normans into photography as well ?"
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    i told you im dyslexic...im thinking "what the hell ...? greg normans into photography as well ?"

That's too funny 'gus. But take an amble through Greg Gorham's website here http://www.gormanphotography.com/gorman.html I think you will agree that its worth your time. And then look at his technique for B&W conversion - I think you'll like it. It is in the Learn section.
    'Gus - You still waffling between the black or the white?

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    Had a quick look & about to go back for more. He hasnt missed many names in the portraits section thats for sure.

I will certainly get more into B&W once i get a new camera...atm im still getting over last night...watched the Lord of the Rings trillogy all night & scared the bejebus out of myself. Those Orks have issues.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    - I have posted this information several times and credited it to Greg Gorman each time. His web site is lovely - I loved seeing how his studio is set up with a continuous curve without a corner.
    I actually originally learned the technique from G Gorman's presentation during the Epson Online Printing Academy and later found the tutorial also on his website. It is a great technique for creating duotones and B&Ws. I even wrote it up in the moderators thread for Cletus and in the PS thread as well.
    thumb.gif

I've been using this techinique since PF posted it, and I love it. Great. Fantastic. Love it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    thumb.gif

d'0h! sorry pf, i must've missed that headscratch.gif anyhow, never too much of a good thing, eh?
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    d'0h! sorry pf, i must've missed that headscratch.gif anyhow, never too much of a good thing, eh?

No problemo at all! - that is why I included the laughing heads.

The technique seems a little complicated the first few times for PS newbies, because you have to be very clear about channels and layers and switching between RGB and LAB. I think this may prevent some folks from giving it a whirl, but Gorham's B&W images are lovely with this technique. And his website has a pdf file that is very clear explaining it.

When I saw him speaking online real time, I had to painfully go through each step to figure it out by rewinding the WMP file. But once I got it, I have not used channel mixer since. It makes nice sepias this way too. I am glad to see that David found the technique useful too.

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    I've mentioned this before, but I made this method an action in PS, that goes up until it's time to add the color layer, which I do each time manually, as I may want to change it from shot to shot.

Works nice I hit cmd-F8, select the color, multiply and then do whatever curves work is needed. Very simple.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I've mentioned this before, but I made this method an action in PS, that goes up until it's time to add the color layer, which I do each time manually, as I may want to change it from shot to shot.

Works nice I hit cmd-F8, select the color, multiply and then do whatever curves work is needed. Very simple.

We don't have a thread for uploading and downloading actions. Hmmm. I wonder if Andy might think about something like this??? Andy???

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    Yes, I've used it a lot. Not sure how, in the end, it differs from what you do, Andy. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    When I do a black and white it is usually a whim. So I don't take the care it deserves. Maybe I will print it out and do it this weekend.

The weather is crummy:D , which is the only acceptable time not to have a camera. Freezing rain and grey.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.