Question about Camera brands

MoroCyclerMoroCycler Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited March 29, 2007 in Cameras
I used to have an SLR-Like Fujifilm camera, It worked wonders for me, mostly for the bright colors it always captured.
I decided to get a better one so I bought a Canon 350D XT, and it has been quite an improvement except for those bright colors I used to get out of my Fuji.
Is this a normal issue? Does Fuji give better colors than Canon?
Shall I buy a better Fuji (D-SLR) instead? :dunno

Thanks for the advice.

Humberto

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    Check Fred Miranda-- there are some pretty cool PS plug-ins that will replicate film emulsions (including Fujichrome) over there.

You can also change your camera settings-- add sharpening, more saturation, all that-- if you're shooting jpeg. Or, do the same thing using ACR in PS. Or do that and mess around in PS using saturation adjustment layers and curves. Yeah, it sounds like a LOT to learn (and it is) but once you get over the steep learning curve, you'll be able to make your photos look however you want! :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• CodyWeberCodyWeber Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    I shoot with Canon cameras exclusively. I think the colors that are produced with it are beautiful. To each is own, I suppose though.
    I shot with a Fuji once or twice and hated it.
    There Was This Big Bang Once, But The Clergyman Doesn't Agree.
    Cody Weber Photography.
    Gallery -- Journal
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    Was your original Fuji camera a film camera or digital?

With digital cameras, the saturation of the colors is generated by post processing after the original image is captured. Most digital SLRs, including Canon ones have a setting which controls the satuation of the JPEGs they generate. Alternately, you can shoot raw and decide how saturated you want the image to when you convert the RAW to a JPEG in your computer.
  • MoroCyclerMoroCycler Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Was your original Fuji camera a film camera or digital?

My Fuji was a Digital also.
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    MoroCycler wrote:
    [...]Is this a normal issue? Does Fuji give better colors than Canon?
    Shall I buy a better Fuji (D-SLR) instead? ne_nau.gif

Thanks for the advice.

Humberto

It's normal, and it's not really an issue :D. Consumer and prosumer cameras are generally set up by the manufacturer to make the image 'pop' right off the page using sharpening and saturation adjustments in-camera, sometimes going overboard to ill effect. dSLRs are set up in a very conservative manor, allowing you to make the changes you want, and not having to worry about the camera generating clipped channels due to oversaturation or sharpening halos left and right.

The reviews posted at dpreview.com compare the Fuji dSLRs against Canon, Nikon, and other dSLRs; you'll note that there's only minor differences in color rendition amongst all the major brands - everybody's shooting for a "faithful" reproduction, letting you handle where you want to go from there. Read up on the Dgrin tutorials, in particular the "Making Your Image Pop" tutorial, and if you're brave enough, on LAB techniques, and you can add just enough puch to your images to make you (and your friends/family) happy! thumb.gif
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"