Options

Printer Question

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited February 4, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
I am looking for (for my bosses wife) a quality photo printer that has a high quality of print, decent archival inks, and prints up to 8 1/2 x 11.

I have an Epson 1280 which is bigger than she needs and does not have the archival properties she requires. I am not familiar with any other printers but the boss asked me for advice on what to buy.

Any suggestions? Links if you have them?

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    The Epson Durabrite inks are supposed to be pretty long-lasting. As far as good colors are concerned, I prefer the Canon printers (i960, i9900, that sort of thing).
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 28, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    I am looking for (for my bosses wife) a quality photo printer that has a high quality of print, decent archival inks, and prints up to 8 1/2 x 11.

I have an Epson 1280 which is bigger than she needs and does not have the archival properties she requires. I am not familiar with any other printers but the boss asked me for advice on what to buy.

Any suggestions? Links if you have them?

Epson R800 is very nice, archival, has the pigment inks that may soemday replace Ultrachrome inks. My brother loves his - images are first rate. Alain Briot's review is here
    http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/epson-r800.shtml
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Epson R800 is very nice, archival, has the pigment inks that may soemday replace Ultrachrome inks. My brother loves his - images are first rate. Alain Briot's review is here
    http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/epson-r800.shtml

I second that, quite a value. Rumor has it the wide version is out in Japan, here next but it will cost like your 1280 did and the 2200 does.