D200 now or wait?

jmaccs64jmaccs64 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited April 11, 2007 in Cameras
I am looking to upgrade my D70, to a D200....But.....

Should I save my pennies and wait? Does anyone think there is going to be a full format Nikon anytime soon?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question....

Thanks

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    jmaccs64 wrote:

Should I save my pennies and wait? Does anyone think there is going to be a full format Nikon anytime soon?

Thanks

Go ahead and get the D200. It is a great camera (I don't own one but I wish I did!)

Besides, if you start waiting on dSLR purchases, you'll never buy anything. First you wait for the new model, then you wait to see the reviews, then you wait for bug fixes, then you wait for prices to drop, etc... before you know it you're waiting for the next new model to come out!
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    There's been a full frame D3 running around the rumor mill for a month or so now. Apparently people are confident that will be coming, but when?...who knows. They say this year. Technically, that's just a rumor though. My personal opinion is I think it will happen and will happen this year. But...we shall see :)
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    What are you looking to gain by upgrading your camera?

I own a D70, D200, and D2X. Each camera is certainly capable of taking great images. Each one also has it's strengths and weaknesses. The D70 is certainly a fine camera. What are you missing that the D200 will provide?
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:
    What are you looking to gain by upgrading your camera?

I own a D70, D200, and D2X. Each camera is certainly capable of taking great images. Each one also has it's strengths and weaknesses. The D70 is certainly a fine camera. What are you missing that the D200 will provide?

I sorta agree with Mitchell. I too have a D70 and a D200 (a D50 too) and the D70 can still hold it's own against the D200 in many areas, however the following points go to the D200:

1) Speed - 5fps vs. 3fps. I shoot fast moving stuff, so an additional 2 frames of error is nice. :D

2) Size - It's odd, but I like the larger D200 body.

3) Toughness - Tougher body, more metal, weather proofing

4) Controls - More dedicated controls on the D200. I find this useful in changing conditions.

5) Enlargements - Slightly better results @ 8x10+ with the D200, but not a major difference. Chances are YOU (as the creator of the work) will detect it and a 3rd party would not.

6) Battery Grip - Quite cool for shooting events.

7) Additional AF modes & sensors - Continuous, "single", and Manual modes. The number of focal points on the D200 is dizzing, as well as the ways of using them. A major step up from the D70 and lower.

8) Built in Flash WILL fire as Commander - Using the D70's flash as the Commander shuts it off. Now, putting the built in flash against a SB600 isn't wise except in deparation - but I've been desprate before. mwink.gif

That said, the D70 has some advantages as well:

1) More shots per CF - Smaller MP gets you more shots, and the compression forumla seems better. This is an observation not a "tech book" fact.

2) Shooting modes - Let's face it, sometimes they are useful. I can give the D50 and D70 to the wife and she will not get as intimadated. Hell, I've had moments were I've used the shooting mode on the D70 to give me a good clue for exposure when using it as the back up to the D200.

3) Size - Huh? Didn't I give that to the D200?? Well, when I'm packing the camera for a hike or on the bike, it's a wee bit smaller, making it more tankbag / sling bag friendly.

4) Remote - The D200 uses a wire remote, the D70 uses a wireless remote. I prefer the wireless in most cases.

5) Battery Life - The D200 eats batteries (comparativly) to the D70 in RAW mode. Also the D200 uses the EL3e batteries and will NOT use the EL3a. However the D70 will use either. SO if you have a few 3a's they will not work as back ups for the 200 - which I personaly think sucks.

6) LCD crispness - I think the LCD on the D70 is much crisper then the D200.

There is my take on the day to day differences. I **LOVE** my D200, but if you don't need the things above, the D70 will do you just fine. As for waiting... well, as it's been said you will never buy anything if you keep waiting. The D200 is an excellent platform and is more camera then many people need - it is still very viable.
    --Kres
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    I'd go with the 5D or 30D NOW. :)

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:

- RE
    Troll! Troll! :hotcake

rolleyes1.gif
    --Kres
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:

- RE

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • jmaccs64jmaccs64 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    Reasons I would like to but the d200...

1. Lower noise, not as good as canon but from some of the results i have seen, not as bad as the d70...I shoot a lot of low light stuff....

2. VERTICAL GRIP with controls....i have big hands....this is the big one....

3. On camera flash in commander mode would be nice.....

4. And as I shoot more and more things, i really should have a backup body, which my d70 would become.....

Hope that is reason enough...Any other thoughts?

Thanks
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Joey,
    These are all valid reasons to switch.

Why are you waiting? What are you waiting for? The D200 fills all of your needs and the D70 will make a great back up.
  • jmaccs64jmaccs64 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:
    Joey,
    These are all valid reasons to switch.

You are right.....I am going to suck it up and buy it....

Thanks
  • hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Let us know how you like the D200. I've had mine for a few months now and couldn't be happier
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2007
    D200 Buy it now.
    jmaccs64 wrote:

Thanks

:D I just gave my wife my D70 and bought my D200 kitted with the 18-200 MM zoom lens...and I would do it again...it has a lot of features moved from the menu to the camera body for faster access. The lens itself is a great, sharpe lens, but has corner issues at 18 MM. The D200 takes a little getting used to, though. Lots more buttons and options than the D70. Surprisingly enough, there is little difference between the picture quality in day to day shooting and I like the D70's Vivid algorithm better...it gives better skin tones. (For some reason the D200 in V and V+ blows the skin tones by adding too much red. This may be a learning curve with the camera.)

Again...great camera...I'm very happy with mine...but then I was very happy with my D70...and now my wife is.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    jmaccs64 wrote:

Thanks
    As Ken Rockwell says, its better to have the camera now, than to miss pictures later.

Technology will always get better, but believe me, unless you've handled a D2x for a while... the D200 will be around a while, at least in digital camera years. ;P
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
    edited April 4, 2007
    Ed911 wrote:
    (For some reason the D200 in V and V+ blows the skin tones by adding too much red. This may be a learning curve with the camera.)
    That is because Vivid is meant for nature and plant photography, and by boosting up the reds and yellows, it makes for some not too appealing portraits... that's what nikon made the 'portrait' and 'custom' modes for.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • gussiegussie Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    I, too, am toying with upgrading to a D200 from a D70.

Question 1: Isn't there some sort of intervalometer (self-timer for taking time-lapse photos) in the D200? That'd be a big plus.

Question Two: Does the D200 come with any kind of remote for looooong exposures? I noticed that there is one listed for $130.00. What's up with that?

Any answers welcomed.....
    "The man who cannot imagine a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot."
    Andre Breton
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 7, 2007
    gussie wrote:
    I, too, am toying with upgrading to a D200 from a D70.

Question 1: Isn't there some sort of intervalometer (self-timer for taking time-lapse photos) in the D200? That'd be a big plus.

Question Two: Does the D200 come with any kind of remote for looooong exposures? I noticed that there is one listed for <gasp> $130.00. What's up with that?

Any answers welcomed.....

The Nikon D200 does seem to have an intervalometer mode.

Read some about the proper exposure here:

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00JpSP

I don't recommend dSLRs for long exposure photography. Recent discussion here:

http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=57500
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • billfinkbillfink Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 8, 2007
    The nub of the original post implies a question of whether it is better to have a full frame, 35mm sized sensor (ala Canon) or the smaller sized sensor Nikon has been using. I've had a d200 for several months now, and am very pleased with the camera. I am dubious about the benefits of a full-frame sensor -- do the much larger file sizes and resulting storage and retrieval size issues justify the extra pixels? Not for me at this point. Is the "lens conversion factor" that makes a lens effectively longer a worthwhile compromise? For me, yes. I recently realized that my old Spiratone 500 mm mirror lenses just had a T-mount and that I could switch it out for the Nikon from Olympus (duh!). The deed is done, and with the D200 supporting a solid aperture priority system, I get great pics at a full frame equivalent of 750mm. So, do I get a better pic with the longer effective focal length, but less sensor area than I'd get at a straight 500mm with a full frame sensor? Don't really know, and don't much care; cause I'm happy with what I've got.
    edited April 9, 2007
    billfink wrote:
    So, do I get a better pic with the longer effective focal length... with a full frame sensor? Don't really know, and don't much care; cause I'm happy with what I've got.
    Ditto. Once you get the D200, you'll forget all your woes =)
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    This doesn't have anything to do with the D200, but I was wondering - isn't there a Nikon body that sells MSRP for $7999.
    I thought I saw it say that price somewhere for the D2Xs or the D2Hs. Maybe the price dropped a couple grand, or maybe it was the Canon's top-gun model.ne_nau.gif
    http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
    Camera: Nikon D50
    Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
    Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
    Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
    Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
    Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
    Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    This doesn't have anything to do with the D200, but I was wondering - isn't there a Nikon body that sells MSRP for $7999.

I thought I saw it say that price somewhere for the D2Xs or the D2Hs. Maybe the price dropped a couple grand, or maybe it was the Canon's top-gun model.ne_nau.gif

The Canon 1Ds Mark II lists at $7999. Street is less and I don't know about the Nikons
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007

Not yet, the rumored D3 is expected to be selling at $8,000 when and if its released.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • JWCarterJWCarter Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    D200
    jmaccs64 wrote:

Thanks

I shoot with both D70 and D200, d70 vivid works great for skin tones and D200 fine on normal. Shooting sports is the reason I shoot D200 5fps and grip.
    There is a rumor that a full frame Nikon is on the way.
    http://www,JWCarter-Photo.com
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    I have an investment in Canon gear but I have to say the D200 has an (almost) perfect combination of features and civilities. It's the only body in Nikon's line that would make me consider purchasing out of my system. Go for it!