The Death and Resurrection of a Tamron SP200-500 lens

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
edited May 3, 2007 in Cameras
I have made several posts here on dgrin about long lenses, and several specifically about the Tamron SP200-500 f5.6-6.3 DI

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=49563&highlight=200-500

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28909&highlight=200-500

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=41819&highlight=200-500

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=40471&highlight=200-500

I was shooting with mine in New Mexico a few weeks ago, and it was performing its usual yoeman duty, and then suddenly it began to give me the dreaded Err 99 on my 20D. Turn off the camera, yank out the battery, wait 10 seconds, reinstall the battery and Err 99 - camera inoperative until another different lens is mounted. I tried the Tamron 200-500 on a 5d, and it will shoot one image and then crash the operating system in the 5D. I tried the lens on a 1DMkll - again - no go .

SO today I am shipping the lens and my warranty card and my purchase receipt off to Tamron for repair. I expect it to return within two weeks and will report on my experience then.
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    That's really awful, Pathfinder. :cry I do hope that it is only a temporary illness and not truly the death of your lens. Though perhaps it would be even better if you were to get a new one out of it.

Virginia

Email
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 29, 2007
    Hi Virginia,:D

I think it is electrical in nature - not optical and should be easily repairable. We'll see what Tamron has to say about it - Tamron says it came with a 6 year warranty and I bought it new in August 2006, so.......

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    So it sounds as though there will be a resurrection. Your lens is way to young to go to the happy home for lenses in the sky. It will be interesting to find outfor sure what went wrong. I hope you get it back faster than I got back the 24-70 I had to send back to canon after owning it 4 weeks. I didn't see it again for over two months, cut it has been a trouper ever since.

Say hi to nightengale for me!!

Virginia

Email
    edited March 29, 2007
    Will do.

I am hopeful to see the lens again within 2 weeks, but we'll see how it goes.ne_nau.gif

• gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    a guess
    might need re-chipping-good luck
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • dusty-dogdusty-dog Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Wow! I never even thought about the possibility that this could happen to a lens. I shoot with a Tamron 200-500mm, which I bought used, and just expected it to work forever, as long as I don't drop it into the ocean or bay or the ground. On the flip side, however, it's good to know that re-chipping and electronics can be fixed.

I learned something new today...... something I hope I never experience. rolleyes1.gif
  • esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    So it sounds as though there will be a resurrection.
    Just in time for Easter. rolleyes1.gif
    edited April 4, 2007
    lol3.giflol3lol3.gif

edited April 9, 2007
    I received written notification of receipt of my lens by Tamron today, April 9. I know they received the lens because I sent it by mail with verification of receipt, and the Post Office website shows Tamron received the lens April 2.

Tamron's note today estimated a three week turn around. We'll see how long it takes and I will post that information here. I had thought they might send their receipt notice by email, but they sent it by snail mail instead. The repair is an authorized waranty repair with no apparent charges.

So we seem to be making progress.

edited May 3, 2007
    I was just about to lose my faith in Tamron's Repair Service, when lo and behold, appearing at my door step was a box from Tamron.clap.gif

My faithful ( well it was faithful for the first few monthsmwink.gif ) Tamron SP 200-500 Di lens was back from Tamron Service. A quick external inspection verified my serial number and it truly looked like brand new. I then popped it on my 20D for a quick trial. The zoom ring is smooth and even - unlike the gritty, sticky feeling it had when I sent it in, AF is very fast and seems accurate, and a quick view of my LCD reveals images that seem sharp and colorful.

I will have to spend a day shooting with it to verify its full repair, but things are certainly looking better. The repair was done under warranty without hesitation by Tamron.

The time from door to door was March 29 to May 3, or 36 days - slightly longer than their estimate of 3 weeks, but I am glad to have it back.

I plan to take it west with me next week.

• mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Glad to hear you got it back without any fuss.

So what was the problem? ne_nau.gif
    edited May 3, 2007
    It is described in the first post in this thread.

The lens simply quit working, and crashed the camera operation - 20D, 5D, 1Dmkll - all would not work with the lens attached.

Tamron did not specify what repair was performed, nor did they communicate with me other than when they sent me snail mail that they had received the lens for repair.

I was just about to email them to try to find out when I might see it again when it was returned.

• sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Canon lenses FTW

Can't shoot w/ a lens that doesnt work, not matter how nice of features and price its got mwink.gif

all joking aside... hope they take care of it soon! The real test of a company is their handling of customer service issues like this...
    edited May 3, 2007
    Actually I have had very good experience with Tamron lenses, including a 28-75f2.8 Di and a 180mm Di Macro. Both are optically excellent.

That is one of the reasons I purchased the SP200-500 f5.6-6.3 Di. It has been a good lens, and was, right up uhtil the instant it went kaput. It seems to be fully back in service now.

I like Canon gear also - but I had a 1DsMkll that needed a shutter replaced with less than 10,000-12,000 activations. No brand is without the occaisional need for repairs. Canon replaced my shutter assembly in less than two weeks.

My only gripe is that Tamron took 36 days, and that seemed longer than necessary.ne_nau.gif

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 3, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    ... It seems to be fully back in service now.

I love a happy ending. thumb.gif Best of luck from here on out!
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    I saw your title and thought your Sigmonster took a dive :grim. Glad to hear they took care of you. A 6 year warranty, that is pretty nice to have. Have you been taking the 200-500 with you on your bike a lot? I wonder if the vibration could have knocked something loose.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited May 3, 2007
    I don't think the SP 200-500 has ever been on my bike, although the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Di has ridden over 25,000 miles in my tank bag and I can't see any decline optically whatsoever.

I took the 200-500 to Florida twice last winter in my Ridgeline - usually in a Kinesis lens pouch on the rear seat along with the rest of my gear. I doubt that was the problem, Nick.

The zoom ring always was rather sticky, but when it finally failed I had no warning. Nightingale and I were at Dinosaur state park in New Mexico in March and one minute I was shooting deer at 500mm and a few minutes later whamo, blamo, kerput. One frame was fine and the next frame gave me Err 99 - that was the last it worked until it was serviced.

The zoom ring is silky nowne_nau.gif

I am taking it to Utah and we'll see what transpires.

edited May 3, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I love a happy ending. thumb.gif Best of luck from here on out!

Me too, Ziggy!

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited May 3, 2007
    clap.gif

As a Tamron lens owner, its good to know Tamron's service takes care of these warranty issues without much of a hitch. Jim, thanks for reporting your experience.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky